China Relaxation Tour
- Centrally Located Hotel
- Authentic Local Restaurants
- Private Car and Driver
- Entrance Fees
- Service Charge & Government Taxes
- Tour Arrangements
Thank you to Robert. For your consistent professionalism and co-operation and building the itinerary that contributed to a wonderful first experience Read more
Bridget Sep. 04, 2012
Our China trip was wonderful. The tour guides were very informative and friendly. The landscapes and cityscapes were breathtaking and the architecture Read more
Peggy Aug. 30, 2012
I had a wonderful trip! Thanks again for all your help! Read more
Kat Jul. 30, 2012
Combine China most famous attractions in Beijing and Xian with the beauty of the Yangtze River and then the huge Three Gorges Dam will astound you. Finally visit Shanghai, the modern miracle.
Duration: 11 Days
Welcome to China! You will first arrive in the capital city of China - Beijing. Beijing is a city of amazing contrasts - an ancient capital with some incredible historical sites and a bustling modern metropolis. After arriving in Beijing, our guide will meet you and transfer you to your Hotel. The guide will deliver your Free CH cell phone which includes free rental for the cell phone and SIM card， and at least 30 free minutes, delivery and collection in China. The guide will also give you some tips on local restaurants that we recommend and shopping in streets nearby. The rest of the day is free to rest to recover from jetlag or to explore by yourself.
Place & Transport: Beijing
Today's Activities: Tiananmen Square, The Forbidden City, Treasure Houses, Hutong Tour in Xicheng District, Chinese Yoyo Experience, Lizexiang Pearl Store
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Courtyard 7 Restaurant
- Tiananmen Square (50 minutes): Tian'anmen Square is the largest city square in the centre of Beijing, named after the Tiananmen (literally, Gate of Heavenly Peace) which sits to its north, separating it from the Forbidden City. It has great cultural significance as it was the site of several key events in Chinese history. As the world's largest city square and enduring symbol of China's national pride, it is surrounded by many imposing buildings including the Heavenly Gate (entry to the Forbidden City), Museums, government buildings and Chairman Mao's Mausoleum.
- The Forbidden City (2 hours): The Forbidden City was home to 24 emperors between 1368 and 1911.This "city within a city" is a World Heritage Site, and is the largest and the best preserved ancient imperial architecture complex in the world, with great square, halls and gates contrast with intricate halls, gardens, courtyards and quarters. The exhibitions, both permanent and temporary, are all important treasures of ancient China.
- Treasure Houses (30 minutes): Treasure house has undergone 4 time renovations, the present one takes up almost 220 square metres, more than 440 treasures on display belonged to Qing dynasty royalty, half of which have not never been on display in the old one. It's worthy of visiting.
- Hutong Tour in Xicheng District (1 hour): Hutong is a maze of historic alleyways with old single storey traditional courtyard houses, which are now fast disappearing. In this one hour tour, you can hop on a rickshaw to ride through the narrow alleys as well as visit a local family then walk on the Silver Ingot Bridge (Yinding Bridge) and find out about the different thresholds of the courtyards.
Chinese Yoyo Experience: The Chinese Yoyo, also known as Diabolo, was created about one thousand year ago. Made of wood or bamboo, the Chinese Yoyo can be used by people of any age for play or moderate exercise. An experienced user can execute really fantastic tricks. Why not try your skill while visiting the Hutong.
What happens during the class?
1. Explanation of the history and function of the Chinese Yoyo.
2. Learn how to use the yoyo.
3. A display of the Diablo.
4. You can buy Chinese Yoyo as a souvenir if you are interested.
- Lizexiang Pearl Store : China's freshwater pearls are celebrated throughout the world. See how they are produced including some of the latest technology, and learn how to spot a fake. The outlet also offers a range of items produced from pearls and pearl oysters which goes far wider than jewellery. China Highlights customers will see the seeds being planted in the live mussel and also how learn how to differentiate real pearls from fake. This is a great opportunity to buy genuine pearls, that come with a guarantee, for your family and friends but there is absolutely no pressure to buy.
Address: No.7.Changqing Yuan, Congwen District,Beijign City.
- Courtyard 7 Restaurant: Courtyard 7 is located in central area of Nan Luo Guo. Its well designed Chinese style modeling, the layout makes it antiquity and rusticity. Its special featured restaurant provides new modern French dishes. Seating in Courtyard 7, you may see the fusion of eastern and western culture, and smell apart of old and new fashion air. Here, you can not only taste delicious gourmet food, but also can enjoy a piece of pure land and haven in such a busy city. Courtyard 7 welcomes you stay and enjoy.
Place & Transport: Beijing
Today's Activities: Temple of Heaven, The Mutianyu Great Wall(with round way cable car), Shahe Cloisonne Factory
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Xin Shuang Quan Restaurant
- Temple of Heaven (1.5 hours): Built in 1420 during the Ming Dynasty, Temple of Heaven is a complex of Taoist buildings where emperors of Ming and Qing dynasties visited for annual ceremonies of pray for good harvests. Located in the south of Central Beijing, it covers an area of 273 hectares. Temple of Heaven was enrolled as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1998.
- The Mutianyu Great Wall(with round way cable car) (2 hours): This less-crowded section of the Great Wall is a about 2.5 hours' drive from downtown Beijing. A cable car takes you to a good section (avoiding a very steep climb), where you can walk along the wall, through the watch towers and enjoy superb views as it snakes across the hills and mountains. You can return by cable car, walk down or walk along the wall for about an hour to descend by chairlift. Wear good walking shoes and protection from the weather.
- Xin Shuang Quan Restaurant: Xin Shuang Quan Restaurant is near Great Wall of Mutianyu section. This garden style restaurant serves farmhouse dishes, specializing in rainbow trout, sturgeon and salmon. The fabulous taste will leave you with great memories.
- Shahe Cloisonne Factory : Sha He Cloisonne Factory manufactures and sells high quality Cloisonne ware. High quality Cloisonne also called "Copper - body and wire inlaid Enamel" requires an elaborate and complicated manufacturing process including hammering, filigree welding, enamel filling, surface polishing and gilding. This is a popular place for those looking for special, quality souvenirs. China Highlights customers have the opportunity to see the manufacturing process. This is an exclusive offer for our customers! There is no pressure to buy!
Address: Dingfu Huang Zhuang North District Beijing
Place & Transport: Beijing to Xian, Flight No. TBA
Today's Activities: Summer Palace, Hotel to airport Transfer (Beijing), Airport Transfer (Xian)
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Beijing Ba Guo Bu Yi Restaurant
- Summer Palace (1.5 hours): Much-loved summer retreat of the Imperial families, the lovely landscaped gardens, halls, pavilions and corridors are set around the lake and rivers in natural harmony. It is the largest and best preserved imperial garden in China, and also a World Heritage Site.
- Beijing Ba Guo Bu Yi Restaurant: Ba Guo Bu Yi Restaurant is located near Summer Palace in Haidian District. It serves authentic Sichuan cuisine with its traditional Chinese style decor. Recommended dishes include sweet and sour fish, fried pork with celery and Kungpao Chicken.
Place & Transport: Xian
Today's Activities: The Terracotta Warriors and Horses, Shaanxi History Museum, Ancient City Wall, Tai Chi Experience at the City Wall , Xi'an Imperial Fine Arts center
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at A Wa Shan Zhai Restaurant(Qinling Branch)
- The Terracotta Warriors and Horses (2 hours): Discovered accidentally in 1974, this incredible army of over 7000 soldiers, archers, horses and chariots in full battle array has guarded Emperor Qin's tomb since 210BC. Each figure is unique, and the painstaking repair and excavation continues in 3 pits which are protected inside huge hangars. 1.5 hours from Xian, there is also an excellent museum and film about the history of the vaults. Photos (no flash) are allowed. Wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Shaanxi History Museum (1.5 hours): The history of Shaanxi is said to be the history of China, and this museum is quite simply one of the nation's best. Four major galleries in large, Tang-style buildings house a vast and impressive collection, beautifully displayed. Most of the item labels are in English, although some other information on the exhibitions is not, but your guide can help here. Wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Ancient City Wall (30 minutes): The walls, ramparts, gates and watchtowers form one of the oldest and most complete city defenses still around. Built in the 13th century on the foundations of the original Tang Forbidden City, it s surrounding the city centre. You can walk or pay extra cost to rent a bike (CNY40 per person), rickshaw (CNY45 per person for 45 minutes) or an electric cart (CNY40 per person) around the full 14km circuit, with great views of the city on either side. If the weather is not good for biking on the city wall, we will substitute a visit to the Bell Tower. Your guide will be very glad to take you the Bell Tower after you have been to look at the city wall.
Tai Chi Experience at the City Wall : Tai Chi is an internal martial art system which places emphasis on the development and control of Chi (Consciousness) energy within the body. Learning Tai chi on the Ancient City Wall is a way of relaxing during your tour and also a way of experiencing a traditional Chinese pastime.
What happens during the class?
1. Full illustration of Tai chi by your tour guide.
2. Demonstration by Tai Chi masters.
3. Experimenters are invited to compete doing Tai Chi after class.
- A Wa Shan Zhai Restaurant(Qinling Branch): A Wa Shan Zhai Restaurant was established in 2004, mainly specializes in Hunan and Sichuan cuisine. It provides delicacy by using the material from Shanxi, obtaining a nationwide reputation from customers. It would be a nice choice to dine while traveling the nearby Terra cotta Warriors and Horses.
- Xi'an Imperial Fine Arts center: Xi'an Imperial Fine Arts mainly manufactures jade carvings and lacquer ware. Tourists can learn how the fine Chinese jade carved and the function of jade.
Place & Transport: Xian to Chongqing to Yangtze, Flight No. TBA
Today's Activities: Board the ship from 5:00pm to 8:00pm and departs Chongqing at 9:00pm.(Dinner is not included), Hotel to airport Transfer (Xian), Airport Transfer (Chongqing), Ciqikou Old Town, Three Gorges Museum, Chongqing National Arts Institute Gallery
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Cai Xiang Yuan Restaurant (Yangjiaping Branch)
- Ciqikou Old Town (1.5 hours): This lively old area has been partly restored, and remains an authentic and busy community. The old wooden houses and narrow streets furthest from the river are mostly unimproved, closer to the river there are craft and souvenir shops, teahouses and music, and lots of local food and snacks. The locals certainly love their food – this is a good chance to try some.
- Three Gorges Museum (2 hours): The best exhibits are those on the history of the Yangtze and, of course, the Dam. It also houses some excellent stone and terracotta sculptures, art and interesting artifacts, items from the war years, and temporary exhibitions. The museum faces the impressive People's Hall, built to resemble the Temple of Heaven, across a lively square, itself a hub of activity.
- Chongqing National Arts Institute Gallery : Located in the Chongqing People's Congress Hall, Chongqing National Arts Gallery showcases Chinese landscape paintings and oil-paintings. It has become a popular spot for foreign tourists looking for authentic, quality products.
Address: In the People's Assembly Hall of Chongqing
- Cai Xiang Yuan Restaurant (Yangjiaping Branch): Located close to the Chongqing Zoo, Cai Xiang Yuan Restaurant serves with dishes are cooked with local flavors and ingredients. Cantonese dishes are also available.
Place & Transport: Yangtze
Today's Activities: Welcoming Banquet, Dancing Party, Shore excursion to Shibaozhai(14;00-16;00).Optinal tour to Fengdu Ghost City(RMB260 per person).
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch, Chinese Dinner
--Shibaozhai, literally means Stone Treasure Fortress, Located in Zhong County, it was first built in Qing Dynasty in 1750. Shibaozhai is one historic site that will look much different in 2009. The wooden architecture stands on the riverside. It is built by catch upon a rectangular rock with sheer cliffs with a height of 56 meters and 12 stories. And every floor of the wooden structure contains interesting artifacts. Each of the 12 floors of Shibaozhai is dedicated to a famous general of the Three Kingdoms period (220-265AD), a local scholar or a renowned Chinese poet.
Place & Transport: Yangtze
Today's Activities: Qutang Gorge, Wu Gorge, Shennong Stream(1:30pm-5:30pm), Crew's Performance
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch, Chinese Dinner
--Passes through the 1st gorge--Qutang Gorge.
Passes through the 2cd gorge---Wu Gorge.
Shore excursion to Shennong Stream(1:30pm-5:30pm). You have the option of visiting White Emperor City(RMB260 per person).
Sails through the 5-steps Ship locks.
Shennong Stream is another tributary of the Yangtze River, and its fast-flowing, crystal clear water runs southwards through deep gorges. The stream races past large and small karst caves, flocks of swallows, sheer cliffs, deep gorges, waterfalls, three-colored springs, rapids, the ancient plank path, a suspended coffin in the cliff, groups of ancient tombs and marvelous karst formations
Place & Transport: Yangtze to Yichang to Shanghai, Flight No. TBA
Today's Activities: Cruise pier Transfer (Yichang), Airport Transfer (Yichang), Airport Transfer (Shanghai), Three Gorges Dam Site
--Shore excursion to The Three Gorges Dam Site. Arrive in Yichang at 1:00pm.
Three Gorges Dam, the largest water conservancy project ever undertaken by man and it has been a dream for several generations of Chinese people. The construction of the dam formally began in 1994. The body of the dam was completed in 2003, and the whole construction has been completed in 2009. It will be 2,335 meters long, 185 meters high, 18 meters wide on the top and 130 meters wide at the bottom.The tourists can get access to the top of the dam and enjoy different kinds of photo opportunities.
Place & Transport: Shanghai
Today's Activities: Oriental Pearl TV Tower, Yuyuan Garden, The Bund, A Short Visit to Shanghai Old Alleys, Tianhou Silk Factory
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Old Shanghai Restaurant
- Oriental Pearl TV Tower (1.3 hours): One of the tallest TV towers in the world, known for its distinctive spheres, or "pearls", it stands across the river from the Bund, among the exciting architecture of the east bank. The Shanghai History Museum is Located on the first floor of the Oriental TV Tower. There you can see the four major exhibition units reflecting Shanghai's history, modern and recent revolutionary history respectively.
- Yuyuan Garden (1 hour): Yuyuan Garden is located in the center of Shanghai old quarters. It was a private garden built in 1559 during the Ming Dynasty, with typical Chinese classic architecture and style. The complex covers an area of 2 hectares, with rockeries, pavilions, ponds and corridors. Yuyuan Garden is surrounding by a busy market place, where visitors can find everything from popular local snacks, handicrafts, antiques and souvenirs to some famous time-honored restaurants.
- The Bund (40 minutes): This 1.5-kilometer-long embankment runs along the western bank of Huangpu River. On its west side it is the "architecture gallery" with 52 well-preserved old European style buildings. Once the major trading and commercial center of old Shanghai, the Bund has now taken on new vitality, with futuristic developments, chic restaurants, top end shops and bars offer plenty to see and do-and by night it's magic!
A Short Visit to Shanghai Old Alleys: Experience the real life of the Shanghainese. Find out how they think and what they do over an enjoyable tea and chat with locals in their home. Visiting the old alleys of Shanghai is a great way to discover the traditional culture of this city.
- Old Shanghai Restaurant: Old Shanghai Restaurant is an old and famous local restaurant which serves typical Shanghai Food as well as different flavors from other parts of China.
- Tianhou Silk Factory: Tianhou Silk Factory is a multi-function shopping mall containing silk traders, restaurants and heath care. It showcases Chinese silk products of all types including silk bedding and silk clothing. This is a popular place for looking for special, quality souvenirs. China Highlights customers have the opportunity to see the manufacturing process. This is an exclusive offer for our customers! There is no pressure to buy!
Address: No.308, Hongjing Road, Shanghai
Transfer to the airport ready for your departure. We wish you have a pleasant journey home and thank you for using with China Highlights - Discovery your way.
- Normally hotels allow a maximum of 3 adults per room with an extra bed, at extra charge.
- Tour price is indicative only, please enquire for a detailed quotation.
- More people more discounts. Low season, lower price.
- * Single Room Supplement prices are shown: Superior/Deluxe/Economy
|Nov.1 - Mar. 31||Superior||Deluxe||Economy||Single Room Supplement *|
|2-5 Persons||$2,399||$2,209||$2,099||$505 / $298 / $244 /|
|6-9 Persons||$2,069||$1,859||$1,749||$505 / $298 / $244 /|
|Apr.1 - Oct.31||Superior||Deluxe||Economy||Single Room Supplement *|
|2-5 Persons||$2,709||$2,349||$2,219||$721 / $415 / $335 /|
|6-9 Persons||$2,399||$1,999||$1,859||$721 / $415 / $335 /|
Tour Length: 11 Days
Attractions: Tian'anmen Square, The Forbidden City, Treasure Houses, Summer Palace, Mutianyu Great Wall(with round way cable car), Temple of Heaven, Hutong Tours in a Rickshaw, Big Wild Goose Pagoda, The Terracotta Warriors and Horses, Ciqikou Old Town, Three Gorges Museum, Yuyuan Garden, Jade Buddha Temple, Yuyuan Market, The Shanghai World Financial Center
|Beijing||Crowne Plaza Beijing
||Sunworld Hotel Beijing
||Days Inn Forbidden City Hotel Beijing
|Xian||Sofitel on Renmin Square Xian
||Grand Noble Hotel
||Xian Skytel Hotel
|Shanghai||Radisson Shanghai New World Hotel
||The Bund Hotel Shanghai
||Kingtown Hotel Plaza Shanghai
|Yangtze Cruise Ships||Downstream/Upstream|
- Entrance Fees:
To scenic spots as listed in the itinerary.
- Phone Rental Package:
Rental cost for the cell phone and SIM card for use in mainland China, and at least 30 mins of FREE international calls.
All meals as specified in the itinerary.
If the restaurant indicated is not available on the day, your guide will arrange another restaurant from our list of approved restaurants. Breakfast is usually a western style buffet. We endeavor to ensure that a choice of western and Chinese breakfasts is supplied, however there may be occasions when only a Chinese breakfast is available in some remote locations.
- Private Transfers:
Transfers between airports, hotels and scenic spots while sightseeing in Beijing, Xian, Chongqing, Yangtze, Yichang, Shanghai by private air conditioned vehicle with a driver and English-speaking guide (as listed above).
Your comfort is our priority! Click here to get a description of the vehicles that we use for our tours.
As outlined in the itinerary an English-speaking guide and driver will be provided in each city, who will remain with you throughout your time in that city. A new guide and a new driver will meet you at each city on your tour, to provide you with the best local knowledge available.
Hotel fees are based on two people sharing one room with twin beds.
All hotels as listed in the above itinerary serve daily western or Chinese breakfast. All rooms are air-conditioned with private facilities unless specified.
- Yangtze River Cruises:
The price quoted for a Yangtze River Cruise includes all meals onboard, and all land excursions including the smaller cruise fee to Lesser Three Gorges or Shennong Stream. (Optional land excursions are available for a few ships which will be specially noted.) The price does not include any incidental charges, including room service, mini bar, laundry, and drinks and bar charges, tipping, etc.
The Pre-boarding Fee includes overnight accommodations on the ship the night before departure and breakfast in the morning.
Beijing To Xian Transfer via: Flight, TBA (Our arrangements)
Xian To Chongqing Transfer via: Flight, TBA (Our arrangements)
Yichang To Shanghai Transfer via: Flight, TBA (Our arrangements)
- Airport Tax and Fuel Fee
- Service Charge & Government Taxes:
The insurance is China Life Tourist Accident/Casualty Insurance.
Click here to learn more about the insurance coverage and the sum insured.
- Luggage Transfers:
Between airports/cruise piers and hotels.
The tour cost includes planning, handling, operational and communication charges.
- International Airfare or Train Tickets to enter or leave China.
USA-CHINA/CHINA-USA: China Highlights has negotiated special discount fares (restrictions apply) for selected flights operated by Air China from major US and China gateways. We are able to offer these special deals to confirmed customers. Discount US to China Flights
- China Entry Visa Fees.
- Excess Baggage Charges.
Passengers holding an adult fare or half fare ticket are entitled to a free baggage allowance of 20kg, for economy class. Total weight of carry on baggage for each passenger may not exceed 5kg. The size may not exceed 20x40x 55cm. More
- Personal Expenses:
Expenses of a purely personal nature such as laundry, drinks, fax, telephone calls, optional activities, sightseeing or meals which are not included in the tour itinerary.
Any meals which are not specified in the tour itinerary.
- Single Room Supplement:
Important note for those who choose to pay a single room supplement fee: The fee only covers hotel single room supplements; it does NOT include use of a single cabin on the Yangtze River Cruise. Standard Yangtze River Cruise prices per person are based on 2 people sharing 1 cabin unless otherwise specified. If you would like to request a single cabin on the Yangtze River ship, please contact us to check cost and availability.