Tour Of Qinghai Lake
- Centrally Located Hotel
- Authentic Local Restaurants
- Private Car and Driver
- Entrance Fees
- Service Charge & Government Taxes
- Tour Arrangements
Known as "the highest race in the world", the Tour of Qinghai Lake kicks off in July from Xining. Much of the nine days of cycling is centered a round this remarkable natural wonder.
Duration: 6 Days
Place & Transport: Arrive in Xining, Flight not included
Today's Activities: Airport Transfer (Xining), Taer Monastery, youyi store
Meals: Chinese Lunch at sanyurongfeng hotel
- Taer Monastery (2 hours): The Ta'er Monastery is located in Huangzhong County, 26 kilometers from Xining, capital of Qinghai Province. It's the Buddhist garden buildings, combining the architectural arts of the Zang and Han nationalities. A lot of cultural relics are stored in the temple, including all kinds of instruments used in Buddhism, statues of Buddha in different poses, profound sutras and stone inscriptions in language of the Zang and Man nationalities, as well as Mongolian.
- youyi store : This store is near the Tibetan Monastery - Ta'er temple and sells more than a thousand products.
Address: Huangzhong Qinghai
- sanyurongfeng hotel : This hotel is located in a golden street.They have President room、luxurious room、Multi-function hall and about 40 inter-packets and one banquet hall for 800 people dinning at the same time
Place & Transport: Xining to Overnight train,
Today's Activities: Qinghai Lake, Qinghai Lake Cruise, Hotel to Train station Transfer (Xining)
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Local Restaurant
- Qinghai Lake (2 hours): Qinghai Lake, China's largest inland salt water lake is at 3200 meters above sea level and is situated at the east of Qinghai province, around 2.30 hours drive from Xining. The ellipse-shaped lake looks like a huge poplar leaf sitting on the alpine prairie. Scenery in Qinghai lake varies according to seasons. Summer and autumn are the most comfortable weather conditions and the lake's scenery is most beautiful during these seasons.
- Qinghai Lake Cruise (20 minutes): A popular way to appreciate the lake. The cruise takes around 30 minites.
- Local Restaurant: The limited restaurant options mean that there is no choice available however our guide will organize the best available based on the season and the surroundings.
Place & Transport: Lhasa
Today's Activities: Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, Barkhor Street
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Kechu Hotel
- Potala Palace (1 hour): Former winter home of the Dalai Lama, a vast, awe-inspiring maze of corridors and stairs leading through countless rooms of richly decorated statues, tombs, murals and antiques. You will climb past the White Palace into the Red Palace, where the file of pilgrims offering silk scarves, coins or yak butter to burn in the shrines combine to make this an unforgettable experience. Note: you need to be fit for climbing up the long stairways.
- Jokhang Temple (2 hours): Smaller and more manageable than the Potala, this 4-storey, golden-roofed temple is at the heart of a rich and living Tibetan Buddhism. Many locals pray here regularly; the Temple is surrounded by Barkhor Street and thronged with pilgrims and visitors. Yak butter lamps burn in front of rich statuary that includes the Sakyamuni Buddha brought to Tibet by Princess Wen Cheng in the 7th Century.
- Barkhor Street (2 hours): Built about 1,300 years ago, The Barkhor (pilgrims' circuit) is found in the heart of Lhasa encircling the Jokhang Temple. In the past, it was a designated circumambulation circuit, "a saint's road" in the eyes of Tibetans. Many people call the Barkhor "the window of Tibet" as it exhibits typical Tibetan life. Watch the pilgrims, wearing their local dress from many different parts of Tibet, as they circle clockwise around Jokhang Temple with prayer wheels, or prostrate them near the front gate. Join the locals and visitors to shop for local goods at the colourful stalls, or relax in a coffee shop or tea house to enjoy the passing parade.
- Kechu Hotel : Located near Jokhang Temple,The Kechu hotel and restaurant has a beautiful garden and provides Tibetan and Nepal food.
Place & Transport: Lhasa
Today's Activities: Sera Monastery, Norbulingka, Drepung Monastery
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Lhasa Kitchen
- Sera Monastery (3 hours): Located in the northern suburbs of Lhasa, The Sera Monastery is a complex of 4 structures; the Great Assembly Hall and three colleges. It was founded in 1419 by Jamchen Chojey of Sakya Yeshe of Zel Gungtang (1355–1435), a disciple of Tsongkhapa. 'Sera' means wild roses and was called this because the monastery was surrounded by wild roses. One of the three main monasteries of Lhasa, it is here that the monks "famous daily debates" take place.
Tips: Every day (except Mondays) at 15:00, there is a debate about Buddhist doctrines among the monks at Sera Monastery. The debating is held in the grounds and is a necessary way of learning sutras and scriptures. Visitors can watch the debate, but it is advised to keep quiet.
- Norbulingka (2.5 hours): Norbulingka means "Jeweled Garden". Constructed as a summer palace for the Dalai Lama, it later served the whole government administration. It was built by the 7th Dalai Lama and served both administrative and religious purposes.
- Drepung Monastery (3.5 hours): Drepung Monastery lies in west of Lhasa under Mt. Gambo Utse, clustered round by the black mountain, its white grand buildings shining under the sunlight. Built in 1416, it is considered as one of the largest monasteries in the six principle monasteries of Gelu Sect in China. Drepung Monastery used to be the living palace of Dalai Lamas before the reconstruction of Potala palace (after the 5th Dalai Lamas was bestowed by Qing emperor Qianlong). The grand Shonton Festival is held in the early part of August every year. That is the busiest day there with crowds of people. It is an opportunity to enjoy the atmosphere of this festival.
- Lhasa Kitchen: Lhasa Kitchen is near the Jokhang Temple. It is decorated by merging Tibetan style with Indian, Nepalese, Chinese and Italian architecture. It serves a variety of styles of food.
- Normally hotels allow a maximum of 3 adults per room with an extra bed, at extra charge.
- Tour price is indicative only, please enquire for a detailed quotation.
- More people more discounts. Low season, lower price.
- * Single Room Supplement prices are shown: Superior/Deluxe/Economy
|Nov.1 - Mar. 31||Superior||Deluxe||Economy||Single Room Supplement *|
|2-5 Persons||-||$1,019||-||- / $184 / -|
|6-9 Persons||-||$849||-||- / $184 / -|
|Apr.1 - Oct.31||Superior||Deluxe||Economy||Single Room Supplement *|
|2-5 Persons||-||$1,169||-||- / $306 / - /|
|6-9 Persons||-||$1,009||-||- / $306 / - /|
Tour Length: 6 Days
Attractions: Taer Monastery, Qinghai Lake, Cruise on Qinghai Lake, Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, Barkhor Street, Sera Monastery, Norbulingka, Drepung Monastery
Note: A Tibet Travel Permit is required to enter Tibet in addition to a China Visa. The Tibet Tourism Administration has recently indicated that they will tighten the regulations which control the issuance of Tibet Travel Permits. Besides now having to enter Tibet in a group of five people or more of the same nationality, the permit will be issued just 4-5 days before arriving in Lhasa. This means that we are unable to guarantee that a permit to travel will be approved. Also the permit will need to be sent to the place of departure in China for Lhasa by express courier. The additional cost will be 300–400 CNY. Your travel advisor will provide additional information. We apologize for this extra cost. However, it is out of our control.
- Entrance Fees:
To scenic spots as listed in the itinerary.
All meals as specified in the itinerary.
If the restaurant indicated is not available on the day, your guide will arrange another restaurant from our list of approved restaurants. Breakfast is usually a western style buffet. We endeavor to ensure that a choice of western and Chinese breakfasts is supplied, however there may be occasions when only a Chinese breakfast is available in some remote locations.
- Private Transfers:
Transfers between airports, hotels and scenic spots while sightseeing in Xining, Lhasa by private air conditioned vehicle with a driver and English-speaking guide (as listed above).
Your comfort is our priority! Click here to get a description of the vehicles that we use for our tours.
As outlined in the itinerary an English-speaking guide and driver will be provided in each city, who will remain with you throughout your time in that city. A new guide and a new driver will meet you at each city on your tour, to provide you with the best local knowledge available.
Hotel fees are based on two people sharing one room with twin beds.
All hotels as listed in the above itinerary serve daily western or Chinese breakfast. All rooms are air-conditioned with private facilities unless specified.
Xining To Lhasa Transfer via: Train, N917 (Our arrangements)
- Service Charge & Government Taxes:
The insurance is China Life Tourist Accident/Casualty Insurance.
Click here to learn more about the insurance coverage and the sum insured.
- Luggage Transfers:
Between airports/railway stations and hotels.
The tour cost includes planning, handling, operational and communication charges.
- Personal Expenses:
Expenses of a purely personal nature such as laundry, drinks, fax, telephone calls, optional activities, sightseeing or meals which are not included in the tour itinerary.
Any meals which are not specified in the tour itinerary.
- Single Room Supplement.