How to Cook Chow Mein
Chow mein is a stir-fried noodle dish. The name is from the Taishan Chinese dialect (a kind of Cantonese). Taishan is a county of Guangdong province. There are many varieties of chow mien all over the world. It is a famous Chinese cuisine.
400g noodles, 75g pork, 75g cabbage (or other green vegetables), 2 chives
Seasonings: cooking oil, salt, soy sauce, cooking wine, and chicken powder
Note: The amount of the seasonings listed above can be adjusted according to personal taste.
- Clean the pork, cabbage and chives.
- Dice the cabbage and chives small.
- Cut the pork into thin strips
- Boil some water. Add the noodles, and boil for more than 1 minute until the noodles are fully soft with no hard core. Tip the noodles into cold water and cool them down. Drain the noodles and stir in some cooking oil to prevent them sticking together.
- Add some cooking oil to the wok, and fry the small chives until they smell. Add the pork strips and fry them until they change color. Add soy sauce, cooking wine, and chicken powder, and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the cabbage and stir-fry for a few seconds. Add the noodles and stir-fry with the cabbage until evenly mixed. And add a little water and stir-fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Your chow mien is done!
I updated this article on October 14, 2012
See all my travel articles
- Chinese Cooking Class
- Mapo Tofu
- Yangzhou Fried Rice
- Kung Pao Chicken
- Chow Mein
- Braised Eggplant
- Diced Chicken with Chili
- Noodles with Bean Sauce
- Sweet and Sour Spare Ribs
- Sautéed Shredded Pork with Sweet Bean Sauce
- Black Pepper Beef Fillet
- Fish-Flavored Shredded Pork
- Poached Sliced Beef in Hot Chili Oil
- Boiled Prawns
- Steamed Weever
- Steamed Egg Custard
- Congee with Mung Bean
- Winter Melon Soup with Pork Ribs
- Winter Melon Soup with Dried Shrimps
- Dry Fried String Beans
- Green Vegetables with Mushrooms
- Home Style Tofu
- Potato with a Vinegar Flavor
- Scrambled Eggs with Tomatoes
- Pumpkin Pie
- Scrambled Eggs with Cucumber
- Pickled Cucumber
- Sautéed Sweet Corn with Pine Nuts
- Scrambled Eggs