- Create My Trip
- China Tours +
- Create My Trip
- Destinations +
- Travel Guide +
- China Visas
- The Great Wall of China
- China’s Top 10 Attractions
- Giant Pandas
- The Terracotta Army
- Best of China
- Culture +
- Asia Tours
- Day Tours
Poached sliced beef in hot chili oil is a representative dish of poached Sichuan cuisine.
The sliced beef tastes tender, smooth, strongly spicy, and oily, but not greasy. It is numbing (麻), spicy hot (辣), and hot in temperature (烫), similar to Sichuan hotpot.
Main ingredients: 200g tendon-less lean beef,80g lettuce, 300ml water
Seasonings: 2g salt, 15g soy sauce,20g cooking wine,20g wet starch, 20g tea oil, 7g dried red chilies, 10g garlic, 5g ginger, 30g cooking oil, 5g Sichuan pepper, 20g thick broad bean sauce
(The amount of the seasonings can be adjusted according to personal taste.)
1. Clean and slice the beef.
2. Mix the salt, soy sauce, cooking wine and wet starch in a bowl, and baste the sliced beef with the mixture. Stir the basted beef with the tea oil, and freeze for a while in an icebox if possible.
3. Clean the dried red chilies and cut them into small pieces. Clean and mince the garlic and ginger. Clean and tear the lettuce.
1. Heat some cooking oil to a high heat, and fry sliced ginger and garlic to the oiled wok for about five seconds.
2. Add the Sichuan pepper, dried red chili peppers, and thick broad bean sauce to the wok, and stir-fry until the spice is released.
3. Add the water to the wok, and heat until boiling. Then add the sliced beef and cook through.
4. Add the lettuce to the wok, and stir to finish.
5. Serve the poached sliced beef in hot chili oil in a big porcelain bowl.
If you want to learn to cook traditional Chinese dishes, we offer you the opportunity. See our most popular food tours, which offer cooking classes as well as must-see sights.
Or you can contact us and we can add the experience of learning to cook Chinese dishes to your China tours.