- Create My Trip
- China Tours +
- Create My Trip
- Destinations +
- Travel Guide +
- China Visas
- The Great Wall of China
- China’s Top 10 Attractions
- Giant Pandas
- The Terracotta Army
- Best of China
- Culture +
- Asia Tours
- Day Tours
Fish is often eaten by Chinese people. Steamed weever is a common home cooed dish. The fish is cooked whole, and should be fresh and tender. Weever is rich in nutrition. The DHA (docosahexaenoic acid, an omega-3 acid that is good for the brain, sperm, and eyes) that it contains is more than in any other freshwater fish. Steaming a weever is a good way to retain the DHA, as high heat would destroy it.
Main ingredients: 500g weever
Seasonings: salt, soy sauce, green onions, ginger, cooking oil, and cooking wine
(The amount of the seasonings listed above can be adjusted according to personal taste.)
1. Clean and dice the green onions and ginger.
2. Scrape off the weever scales, remove the innards and wash the fish.
3.Dry the weever and cut 3 slits on both sides of the body.
4. Rub salt evenly on the weever and salt on a dish for about one hour.
5. Add the chopped green onions, ginger, cooking oil and soy sauce.
6. Steam the weever for about 10 minutes (depending on the size of the weever) and then turn off the heat.
7. Let stand for about five minutes and serve. The steamed weever is ready!
If you want to learn to cook traditional Chinese dishes in China, China Highlights offers you the opportunity. See our most popular food tours, with cooking classes alongside must-see sights:
Or you can contact us and we can add the experience of learning to cook Chinese dishes to your very own tailor-made China tour.