Sweet and sour spare ribs are a popular and representative sweet and sour food. This dish has a reddish color and tastes both sweet and sour. It is, without a doubt, attractive and delicious as an appetizer.
If you love this dish, do not lose control and eat too much, as this dish contains an abundant amount of sugar and protein and is high in calories.
Main ingredients: 500g spare ribs, 2 tomatoes
Seasonings: 75g crystal sugar (or white sugar), 10g dark soy sauce, 15g vinegar, 30g tomato sauce, 15g corn starch, cooking oil, salt
(The amount of the seasonings can be adjusted according to personal taste.)
1. Clean the tomatoes and dice them into chunks.
2. Clean the spare ribs and chop them into 1-inch pieces.
3. Make a starchy sauce using the dark soy sauce, corn starch, and salt.
1. Stew the spare ribs in a pot until tender. Drain the ribs well and put them on a plate.
2. Heat some cooking oil in a wok to a medium–high heat and fry the spare ribs until they turn brown. Remove them from the wok and place them on a plate.
3. Leave some oil in the wok. Add the sugar and bring to a boil on a low heat. Then add the tomato sauce, vinegar, salt, and water, and cook the ingredients for a few minutes.
4. When the juice has become concentrated, add the spare ribs and the tomato chunks. Stir-fry them together.
5. Add the starchy sauce. Stir-fry at a high heat until all the ingredients are thoroughly cooked and mixed together (about 1 minute).6. Serve the sweet and sour spare ribs on a plate.
If you want to learn to cook traditional Chinese dishes, we offer you the opportunity. See our most popular food tours, which offer cooking classes as well as must-see sights.
Or you can contact us and we can add the experience of learning to cook Chinese dishes to your China tours.