How to Cook Yangzhou Fried Rice
Yangzhou fried rice is also called Yangzhou fried rice with egg. It is a popular Yangzhou specialty with a long history. It’s said that it originates from a powerful minister of the Sui Dynasty, (581 - 618) Yang Su, and his favored dish, Sui Jin Fan (fried rice with egg). It is dazzling with many colorful ingredients. It is also a good choice to make with leftover rice.
250g cooked rice (or leftovers), 2 eggs, 50g sausage, 50g corn kernels, 50g peas, 10g dried and shelled shrimp, and 4 dried thin mushrooms
Seasonings: 1 soupspoon salad oil, 4g salt, 10g ginger and 3 chives
Note: The amount of the seasonings listed above can be adjusted according to personal taste.
- Clean the ingredients.
- Boil the peas until soft. Remove them to cool water, then drain.
- Soak the dried and shelled shrimp and dried thin mushrooms in warm water for about 30 minutes. Cut into 1/2cm cubes.
- Cut the sausage into 1/2cm cubes.
- Mince the ginger and chives.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl. Whisk the eggs to mix up the yolk and the egg white completely with a wire whisk or chopsticks.
- Add some cooking oil to the rice and mix with the oil evenly. Heat some cooking oil in a wok and turn down the heat. Add the beaten eggs. After the eggs set, break them into small pieces. Mix the egg pieces with the rice.
- Add some cooking oil to the wok and fry the chives until fragrant. Add the sausage and mushroom and stir-fry briefly. Add some water and cook until dry. Add the peas and corn kernels and stir-fry briefly again. Add the rice and egg pieces and stir-fry evenly. Add some salt and stir-fry until the rice is loose.
- The Yangzhou fried rice is finished.
I updated this article on August 8, 2012
See all my travel articles
- Chinese Cooking Class
- Mapo Tofu
- Yangzhou Fried Rice
- Kung Pao Chicken
- Chow Mein
- Braised Eggplant
- Diced Chicken with Chili
- Noodles with Bean Sauce
- Sweet and Sour Spare Ribs
- Sautéed Shredded Pork with Sweet Bean Sauce
- Black Pepper Beef Fillet
- Fish-Flavored Shredded Pork
- Poached Sliced Beef in Hot Chili Oil
- Boiled Prawns
- Steamed Weever
- Steamed Egg Custard
- Congee with Mung Bean
- Winter Melon Soup with Pork Ribs
- Winter Melon Soup with Dried Shrimps
- Dry Fried String Beans
- Green Vegetables with Mushrooms
- Home Style Tofu
- Potato with a Vinegar Flavor
- Scrambled Eggs with Tomatoes
- Pumpkin Pie
- Scrambled Eggs with Cucumber
- Pickled Cucumber
- Sautéed Sweet Corn with Pine Nuts
- Scrambled Eggs