The famous Chinese restaurants in major cities in China are top choices for travelers. These 14 hand-picked restaurants below are the most famous and historic ones in China. They represent the best of local dishes well, and can be found easily.
Dating back to the Qing Dynasty (1864), Quanjude (/chwen-jyoo-der/) started to run their business in Beijing, specializing in Peking duck. It has become the brand name for Beijing roast duck, a must-taste food in Beijing and China.
- The biggest roasted duck restaurant in the world — Hepingmen Branch: Building14, Qianmen West Street, Xuanwu District (宣武区前门西大街14号楼)
- The original Quanjude restaurant — Qianmen Branch:32 Qianmen Street, Chongwen District (崇文区前门大街32号)
- Wangfujing Branch:9 Shuaifuyuan Hutong, Dongcheng District (东城区帅府园胡同9号)
- Zhabei Branch:547 Tianmu West Road, Zhabei District (天目西路547号)
- Pudong Branch:Floor 3, Zijinshan Hotel, 778 Dongfang Road, Pudong New District (浦东新区东方路778号紫金山大酒店3楼)
South Beauty 俏江南
Headquarter in Beijing, South Beauty has three high-rate affiliate brands, South Beauty Restaurant, LAN Club, and SUBU. Starting business in 2000, South Beauty has more than 50 branches across China. They focus on the combination of elegant environment and delicious Chinese dishes.
- Guomao Center Branch:L220, (second floor) Guomao Mansion West Building, 1 Jianguomenwai Street, Chaoyang District (朝阳区建国门外大街1号国贸大厦西楼2楼L220号)
- Xidan Branch:7-1, 7 Huayuan Street, Xicheng District (西城区华远街7号楼7-1)
- Xintiandi Branch:Units 2 & 5, 235 Xintiandi Beili, 181 Alley, Taicang Road, Luwan District (卢湾区太仓路181弄新天地北里235号02、05单元)
- Global Financial Center Branch: Room307, (third floor) Global Financial Center, 100 Century Avenue, Pudong New District (浦东新区世纪大道100号环球金融中心3楼307室)
- Zhongshan Park Branch:Floor 8, Longzhimeng, 1088 Changning Road, Changning District (长宁区长宁路1088号龙之梦8楼 )
- Tianhecheng Branch:703A–704, 208 Tianhecheng Road, Tianhe District (天河区天河城路208号703A至704室)
Goubuli (Go Believe) 狗不理
Goubuli steamed dumplings are the traditional snack of Tianjin. It has a history of more than 150 years, and has developed from a snack served in small dining halls into a meal served in large restaurants. Goubuli Restaurants now also provide breakfasts and their own brand of frozen food.
- Shandong Road Headquarters: 77 Shandong Road, Heping District (和平区山东路77号)
- Wangfujing Branch:24 Shuaifuyuan Hutong, Dongcheng District (near Wangfujing Shopping Street, opposite Quanjude) (东城区帅府园胡同24号)
- Qianmen Branch:31 Dazhalan Street, Xuanwu District (near Qianmen Pedestrian Street) (宣武区大栅栏大街31号)
Specializing in Sichuan hotpot, Haidilao has been in business since 1994, and has opened branches in 15 cities in China.
- Wangfujing Branch:Floor 8, Letian Yintai Shopping Mall, 88 Wangfujing Shopping Street, Dongcheng District (东城区王府井大街88号乐天银泰百货8楼)
- Xidan Branch:Floor 7, Xidan Hunqing Building, 109 Xidan North Avenue, Xicheng District (西城区西单北大街109号西单婚庆大楼7楼)
- Zhangyang Road Branch:Floor 6, Bainaohui, 588 Zhangyang Road, Pudong New District (浦东新区张杨路588号百脑汇6楼)
- Xujiahui Branch:Floor 5, Bailian Xuhui Commercial Plaza South, 2068 Huashan Road, Xuhui District (徐汇区华山路2068号百联徐汇商业广场南5楼)
Morals Village 德庄火锅
Morals Village’s hotpot is one of the most famous brands of Sichuan hotpot. They specialize in making hotpots with all sorts of fresh ingredients.
- Yushuang Branch:2 Yushuang Road, Chenghua District (成华区玉双路2号)
- Qingjiang Branch:198 Qingjiang East Road, Qingyang District (青羊区清江东路198号)
- Majiabao Branch:174 Changjiang Second Road, Yuzhong District (渝中区长江二路174号)
- Xuetianwan Branch:Floor 2, 55 Xuetianwan Zheng Street, Yuzhong District (渝中区学田湾正街55号2楼)
Sichuan Folk 巴国布衣
Sichuan Folk, established in 1996, practices traditional hotpot culture, but has also created a new conception of Sichuan cuisine.
- Shenxianshu Branch:63 Shenxianshu South Road, Wuhou District (成都武侯区神仙树南路63号)
- Guomao Branch:Floor 2, South Airline Hotel, 10 Middle Road, East Third Ring, Chaoyang District (朝阳区东三环中路10号南航大酒店2楼)
- Xizhimen Branch:68 Xizhimen South Small Street, Xicheng District (西城区西直门南小街68号)
- Pudong Branch:Floor 3, Yu’an Building, 738 Dongfang Road, Century Avenue, Pudong New District (上海浦东新区-世纪大道东方路738号裕安大厦3楼)
- Dingxi Branch:1018 Dingxi Road, Changning District (长宁区定西路1018号)
Eating in Guangzhou 广州酒家
Eating in Guangzhou is one of the most famous and traditional restaurants in Guangzhou. Its authentic Guangzhou food and snacks have won praise from customers, who say it is the number one must-visit restaurant in Guangzhou.
- Tianhe Branch:Floors 3 and 4, Baifu Square, 116–118 Tianhe East Road, Tianhe District (天河区体育东路116-118号百福广场3-4楼)
- Wenchang Branch:2 Wenchang South Road, Liwan District (荔湾区文昌南路2号)
Lianxiang Lou 莲香楼
Lianxiang Lou opened its first restaurant in the west of Guangzhou city in 1889. Its traditional moon cakes, made with authentic lotus paste, are their specialty and must-taste snacks.
- Guangzhou Branch: 67 Dishifu Road, Liwan District (荔湾区第十甫路67号)
- Hong Kong Branch: 160–164 Wellington Street, Middle Ring (中环威灵顿街160-164号)
Shanghai Old Restaurant 上海老饭店
Shanghai Old Restaurant has a history dating back to the Qing Dynasty (1875). Its local Shanghai cuisine dishes attract a large number of customers every year.
- Shanghai Branch: 242 Fuyou Road, Huangpu District (黄浦区福佑路242号)
- Beijing Branch: Floor 18, Zhongshang Building, 5 Sanlihe East Road, Xicheng District (西城区三里河东路5号中商大厦18楼)
Lvbolang (/lyoo-bor-laang/) is one of the famous-brand restaurants in Shanghai, with a history of over 400 years. The original Shanghai restaurant is a traditional Chinese building in Yu Garden, near the Bund.
- Shanghai Branch: 115 Yuyuan Road, City God Temple, Huangpu District (黄浦区老城隍庙内豫园路115号)
- Beijing Branch:Floor 2, Liangmahe Restaurant, 8 East Third Ring North Road, Chaoyang District (朝阳区东三环北路8号亮马河饭店2楼)
Located at the foot of Gushan Mountain, beside West Lake in Hangzhou, Louwailou Restaurant is a famous restaurant with a history of more than 160 years. It is an excellent place to enjoy authentic Hangzhou dishes and appreciate the poetic natural scenery.
- Lushan Road Branch:30 Gushan Road, West Lake District (西湖区孤山路30号)
- Yuquan Branch:Hangzhou Plantation, 1 Taoyuanling, West Lake District (西湖区桃源岭1号杭州植物园内)
Situated east of busy Yan’an Road, and west of beautiful West Lake, Zhiweiguan has many special and tempting snacks, and authentic Hangzhou dishes. Both the environment and flavor are wonderful.
- Headquarters:83 Renhe Road (仁和路83号)
- Wulin Branch:Floor 1, New Yan’an Hotel, 20 Zhijietansi Alley (直戒坛寺巷20号新延安饭店1楼)
- Zhaohui Road Branch:26 Zhaohui Road (朝晖路26号)
Shanghai Branch: Floor 4, Zhihui Square, 488 Wuning South Road, Jing’an District (静安区武宁南路488号智慧广场4楼)
Beijing Branch: 44 Xinjiekou South Avenue, Xicheng District (西城区新街口南大街44号)
The first Tongshengxiang was built in 1920 and located near Xi'an's Bell & Drum Tower. Tongshengxiang is an old brand restaurant in the city center of Xi'an. Chipped bread in beef or mutton soup, Muslim food, and many sorts of snacks are popular in Tongshengxiang Restaurant.
- Xi’an Branch: Bell & Drum Tower Square, Beilin District (碑林区钟鼓楼广场)
- Beijing Branch: 4 East Chang'an Street, Donghuamen, Dongcheng District (东城区东华门东长安街4号)
Jiasan Steamed Stuffed Bun Restaurant 贾三灌汤包子
Jiasan is also a famous brand for 'steamed soup stuffed buns', like Tianjin's Goubuli. This restaurant not only offers steamed dumplings, which are their specialty, but also provides Xi'an snacks and other dishes.
- Best Xi’an Branch:Muslim Street Branch: 93 Beiyuanmen, Muslim Street, Xiyangshi, Beilin District (碑林区西羊市回民街北院门93号)
- Beijing Branch: Building 1, Baiyunguan Street, Xicheng District (西城区白云观街甲1号楼)