Islam was introduced into Beijing around the 10th century. The earlies mosque in Beijing, Niujie Mosque, was built in 996 over 1,000 years ago. More mosques were set up during the Ming Dynasty. The Qing Dynasty saw a fast growing of mosques in the place, during which over 30 mosques were built. See China Highlights Muslim Tours
The Beijing Niujie Mosque/Cow Street Mosque is an ancient mosque that is thought to be among the oldest and most important mosques in China. A mosque there was first built in 996 AD, and now the mosque covers an area of about 6,000 square meters or 1.5 acres. The outside architecture is Chinese, but it looks kind of strange or very ancient. The inside of the building looks more Arabic. It is the largest mosque in Beijing, and is an important place for Muslims in Beijing. The mix of Arabic and Chinese architecture and traditions is interesting, and the shopping on the Cow Street is unusual. See our tours to visit the Niujie Mosque
The Dongsi Mosque, also named the Faming Mosque, is located at Dongsinan Street in Dongcheng District in Beijing. The prayer hall can hold over 500 persons. The mosque is the location of Beijing Islamic Association.
Location: 13, Dongsi Nan Street, Dongcheng District (东城区东四南大街13号).
The Beijing Nandouya Mosque was first built during the third year (1789) of Jiaqing during the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911) and has a history of more than two hundred years. The main structures are the temple gate, the prayer hall, the wing-rooms, and other facilities. The lintel of the gate is Islamic in style, and on top of it sits a pole decorated with a crescent moon. The spacious and bright prayer hall is located in the west and holds 200 people during prayer. The hall also contains many benches and seats for older people. The front of the hall contains a spacious courtyard surrounded by beautiful corridors. Imams live in the south room, while the east room is used by them to teach Koran. The north room is a meeting room.
The mosque remains a place for Muslims to pray.
Location: 4 Douban Hutong, Dongcheng District, Beijing (北京东城区南豆芽胡同4号)
The Beijing Madian Mosque, covering an area of 3,800 square meters, is a typical traditional Chinese courtyard. The main structures are the prayer hall and teaching rooms. The south teaching room is now the dormitory for imams, and the north teaching room is the office. A stone stele stands on both sides (north and south) of the prayer hall. The stele on the south side is marked with the striking sign of "Ren Zhu Du Yi." The stele of the north side was created during the Daoguang period (1821-1580) of the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911). In the prayer hall, a variety of tablets engraved in Arabic hangs on the walls. On the roof of the hall hang ceiling lamps and fans. The mosque also provides female Muslims with a female prayer hall in the north of the prayer hall.
Location: 7 South Village of Madian, Haidian District, Beijing (北京市海淀区马甸南村7号)
The Beijing Dewai Mosque was first built in the late Qing Dynasty (1644-1911). It covers a total area of 1,800 square meters and a constructed area of 1,148 square meters. The temple reflects classical Chinese architectural style, which is quaint, dignified, and beautiful. The main structures are the main gate, the second gate, the prayer hall, the teaching room, and the Bunker building. The prayer hall, in the west, is a typical Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) and Qing Dynasty building. As there is no female temple nearby, the northeast corner, enclosing with a curtain, is set aside exclusively for women to use for prayer.
In addition, many Muslims come here to pray and a number of foreign non-Muslim tourists visit the mosque every day.
Location: 200 Dewai Street, Xicheng District, Beijing (西城区西城区德外大街200号)
Records show that the temple was first built during the Yuan Dynasty (1271-1368), but the existing building was built during the late Qing Dynasty (1644-1911) before being rebuilt and moved to Dongzhimen. Now, the temple is in the form of a quadrangle courtyard. The main structures are the prayer hall, Baoxia House, the kiln hall, Erdian House, the wing-room and other facilities. The prayer hall, located in the west, has Baoxia House at its front and the kiln hall at its back. On both the south side and the north side of the hall are two Erdian Houses. North of the prayer hall sits the imam room, the water room, and the office. The mosque remains an active place for Muslims to pray.
Location: 6 Waichaci, Dongzhimenwai, Dongcheng District, Beijing (北京东城区东直门外察慈6号)
Ming Dynasty (1368-1644). The mosque covers over 20,000 square meters, and its layout is a three-entrance courtyard. The prayer hall consists of three Baoxia Houses. In front of the hall is the Baishi platform and in the back is the kiln hall. At the top of the prayer hall is a square corners pavilion reflecting the Islamic architectural style. In the south and north of the yard are the teaching rooms. The north of the temple holds a vegetable garden and the west holds the Yidi place (a cemetery for the poor or fellow townsmen and their dependents).
Location: West Zhalan Road, Haidian Town, Haidian District, Beijing ((北京海淀区海淀镇栅栏路西)
The Beijing Huashi Mosque is one of the four largest mosques in Beijing. It was built during the 12th year (1414) of Yongle of the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), and has a history of about 500 years. The existing temple building reflects the architectural style of the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911).
The temple covers a total area of 2,000 square meters and has a constructed area of 1,303 square meters. The main structures are the prayer hall, the pavilion, Jinggu hall, the bathroom, the moon platform, a teaching room, and a living room. The prayer hall is located in the west, which is the largest building in the temple. The walls of the hall are engraved with the Koran. The roof of the hall is a hexagonal skylight, and during each Fasting-breaking Day and Qurban Day, a number of people participate in the prayer ceremony.
Location: 30 Xihuashi Street, Chongwen District, Beijing (北京市崇文区西花市大街30号)
The Beijing Jinshifang Street Mosque is one of the four most famous mosques in Beijing. It was first built during the fourth year (1429) of Xuande of the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644). The temple covers a total area of 1,533 square meters with a constructed area of 1,373 square meters.
The Ming Dynasty architectural style of the temple is magnificent. The main structures are the prayer hall, Xuanli Building, the wing room, the chanting room, the bathroom, the guesthouse, and other facilities. The prayer hall reflects classical Chinese palace-style architecture, Xuanli Building is beautiful in layout, and the wing room and the chanting room are symmetrically coordinated. The temple preserves 150 volumes of Arabic classical lections and 100 volumes of Persian classical lections. The mosque is the center for the Islamic Association of Xicheng District, Beijing.
Location: 63 Jinshifang Street, Xicheng District, Beijing (北京西城区锦什坊街63号)
The Beijing Nanxiapo Mosque is located in Nanxiapo, outside the Chaoyang gate. It was built by the Hui people during the Guangxu Period of the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911). The main hall occupies an area of 132 square meters. The south and the north side halls with side rooms occupy a total area of 68 square meters. The temple is structured in simplicity and elegance. The main hall, well carpeted and equipped with heating facilities, can hold 800 people for prayer. The temple has served as a place of prayer for the local Muslim people, and is the funeral management place for the Hui people in Beijing.
Location: 129 Nanxiapo, Chaoyangmenwai, Chaoyang District, Beijing (朝阳区朝阳门外南下坡129号)
The Beijing Chaoying Mosque was first built during the Zhengde Period of the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644). It is the largest mosque in the Beijing suburban district, with a total area of 8,459 square meters and a constructed area of 4,578 square meters. The layout of the temple is strict, imposing, and elegant, and evokes both ancient and modern charm.
The mosque is a two-entrance courtyard. The major structures are the main hall, Chuihua Gate, the veranda, and other facilities. Flowers and trees are planted all around the yard. The main hall holds 200 to 300 Muslim people for prayer, and a newly built female hall is exclusive for women to use for prayer. The temple preserves 30 manuscripts of the "Koran," two "Wei Ga Leaves," one "Erga Leaf Generation," and four "the Most Ga."
Location: Changying Minzu Village, Chaoyang District, Beijing (北京朝阳区常营民族新村)