Hangzhou Bay Bridge (the Fourth Longest Transoceanic Bridge in the World)
Hangzhou Bay Bridge is the fourth longest transoceanic bridge in the world. It is not only an important channel connecting the south and the center of the Yangtze River Delta but it is also a beautiful attraction.
- Chinese: 杭州湾大桥 Hángzhōu Wān Dà Qiáo /hung-joh wan dah chyaow/ Hangzhou Bay Bridge
- Location: Haiyan Prefecture, Zhejiang Province
- Type: cable-stayed bridge
- Best times: summer and autumn
- Suited to: everyone
- Suggested length of stay: 1–3 hours
Hangzhou Bay Bridge Facts
- Hangzhou Bay Bridge is 36 kilometers long and 33 meters wide. The longest span is 325 meters and it has a six-lane highway in both directions.
- The bridge connects Jiaxing and Ningbo in Zhejiang Province.
- The bridge shortens the travel time from Ningbo to Shanghai from 4 hours to 2½ hours.
- The bridge was built in 2005 and opened to traffic in May 2008.
- The construction of Hangzhou Bay Bridge cost $11.8 billion.
- The construction of the bridge used 2.45 million cubic meters of concrete, 820,000 tons of steel, and more than 7,000 pile foundations, making it a large-scale project.
- Hangzhou Bay Bridge is of great significance to the cities around Hangzhou Bay regarding transportation and the economy.
Hangzhou Bay Overview
Hangzhou Bay Bridge spans Hangzhou Bay. Hangzhou Bay is located in the south of Shanghai and ends at the city of Hangzhou.
Hangzhou Bay is a trumpet-shaped bay. It is at the intersection of the Qiantang River and the East China Sea bordered by the province of Zhejiang and the municipality of Shanghai. It connects the cities of Shaoxing in the west, Ningbo in the east, and Jiaxing and Shanghai in the north.
Hangzhou Bay is renowned for enjoying the world's largest tidal bore of up to 9 meters (30 feet) high and traveling at a speed of up to 40 kilometers (25 miles) per hour. It is a good place to watch tides.
The Viewing Platform
There is a viewing platform in the middle of the bridge. It has the vivid name of Land between the Sea and the Sky (海天一洲). It is mainly white and blue, and it looks like a flying eagle.
With a total area of 41,700 square meters, the viewing platform is a comprehensive maritime sightseeing place. It provides tourists with various services, such as sightseeing, catering, accommodation, entertainment, shopping, and a meeting place.
It is divided into two parts: the platform and the sightseeing tower.
The platform has six floors. The third floor is for sightseeing. There is an outdoor viewing area providing 360-degree views of the sea at different times.
The sightseeing tower has 19 floors and reaches a height of 145.6 meters. From the top of the tower, you can see the beauty of the whole of Hangzhou Bay and the bridge.
When night falls, it becomes more brilliant due to the colorful light effects.
Things to Do
- View the bridge and the sea from the viewing platform: You can get the best view of the whole bridge, have a coffee, and watch the sea there.
- Watch the tide: The best time to watch the tide is around the Mid-Autumn Festival.
- Bird watching: Hangzhou Bay Wetland Reserve is an important resting place for birds during their migration every year in April, May, September, and October. Tens of thousands of birds stay there for nearly a month.
- Photography: The best place for taking pictures is on top of the sightseeing tower on a sunny day.
- A combination ticket: 100 yuan (for the viewing platform and the sightseeing tower)
- Open: the whole day
- Dining: Snacks, local dishes, and Western food are available on the viewing platform.
- Accommodation: There is a well-equipped hotel with a café, lounge, billiard room, gym, and other recreational facilities.
- Transportation: Currently there are only two ways to get there. The first one is to drive there yourself. The other way is to travel with a professional travel agency, like us. We do private tours and will arrange your transportation.
The concept of landscape design was first introduced in the design of Hangzhou Bay Bridge. The design of the bridge refers to the aesthetic concept of the Su Causeway of West Lake and was designed in a loose “S” shape. The whole bridge resembles a huge wave on the sea.
The “S” shape design allows drivers and passengers to enjoy the scenery from different angles. It was also designed like this for safety reasons to withstand typhoons and strong tidal forces.
The guardrail of the bridge is in seven colors and each color covers 5 kilometers. From south to north the colors are, respectively, red, orange, yellow, green, indigo, blue, and violet. It looks like a rainbow over the sea from a distance.
Xitang Water Town is about 1 hour’s drive to the north of Hangzhou Bay Bridge. Xitang is characterized by old streets and bridges, rivers, boats, and ancient buildings. You can enjoy a leisurely time there.
Travel with Us
We are a professional travel agency dedicated to private tours. You control the pace of the whole tour. Just contact us and tell us your requirements and interests. We will create a hassle-free tour for you.