Hong Kong in One Day for Luxury Travelers
To tour Hong Kong in a day, shop, enjoy some fine meals, get healthy exercise, and see fine highlights, here is a suggested tour of attractions around Victoria Harbour. This area is part of the former British crown colony and includes the quintessential Hong Kong highlights.
The peak, the bay, the ICC Tower, and Aberdeen are about the best places for a one-day introductory tour. Let us help you plan a tour and book restaurants for you!
Also read How to Plan a Three-Day Tour of Hong Kong.
- Outdoors Recreation Attractions: Victoria Peak
- Sightseeing Attractions: ICC Tower, Victoria Harbour, Avenue of Stars, Aberdeen
- Parks and Museums: Kowloon Park, Flagstaff House Museum of Tea Ware
First go to the Elements Mall and the ICC Tower.
- Taxi Transport: Taxi fare is about 270 HKD (23 USD) if you are coming from the airport. Just say ICC Tower 環球貿易廣場 (wan choo maoww ee gwung chwung) or Kowloon MTR Station.
- Private Transport: Instead of using taxis we could arrange private transport for your tour. Use this form to specify type of vehicle and other details.
Coffee or Breakfast
The Lounge & Bar at the Ritz Carlton (102 floor) offers a breakfast buffet (305 HKD, including fee) and great views until 10:30. Customers should not wear shorts or sandals. Hotel room reservation isn't required.
Shop at the Elements Mall
The Elements Mall offers ritzy shopping under the Ritz Carlton.
See the view from the observation deck and the exhibits and entertainment about Hong Kong and the tower itself (150 HKD, 20 USD).
Go up a one flight to the 101st floor and have lunch at the Inakaya Japanese restaurant (~400 HKD). Enjoy yourself with some internationally recognized fine food and perhaps the best view in Hong Kong.
Star Ferry/ Victoria Harbor
Enjoy the scenery along the promenade called Avenue of Stars next to the ferry.
It is recommended that you then ride the Star Ferry to Central. See some of the world's tallest buildings from the ship. Check out the IFC Tower in Central, the Bank of China Tower in Admiralty, and the ICC Tower in West Kowloon. The crossing takes 10 minutes.
The IFC Mall
The mall in the IFC Tower, the first building you come to by walking from the ferry pier, is one of Hong Kong's poshest.
A) Victoria Peak
- Transport: The quickest way to the Peak is by taxi for about 50 HKD. Show them 太平山, or say "teye ping shan".
Walk up Victoria peak through a park for 50 minutes of fresh air and exercise. See our Victoria Peak guide for details on the Peak Tram, Mid-Levels Escalator, facilities, and the island walking paths on the mountain.
The Peak is known for its scenic hiking paths and the restaurants in the mall with great views. However, though the views are the best, the restaurants are not recommended. Enjoy snacks in the several cafes.
B) Alternative: Pacific Place and Peak Tram
- Transport: Pacific Place, 88 Queensway. It is near the Admiralty MTR station.
If you don't want to hike up Victoria Peak, go over to Pacific Place and shop in the mall or relax in a cafe or restaurant. See our shopping guide for an idea about shopping in the city.
Then take a short walk through Hong Kong Park next to Pacific Place to the Peak Tram. It is a tourist favorite for the view and convenience (15 minutes, 40 HKD, 5 USD).
If you are interested in ancient Chinese ceramics, the Flagstaff Museum of Tea Ware in the park is an excellent public museum. It has a small tea shop where you can buy many kinds of fine teas and take a tea break in the cafe. Remember that the museum closes at 5pm.
Seafood Boat Restaurants
- Transport: Taxis go from the Peak to the restaurant boat docks (80 HKD or 11 USD).
Spend your evening at a landmark famous seafood restaurant such as the Jumbo Kingdom in Aberdeen. Many famous people have eaten on these ships.
Take a sampan ride through the boat village from the promenade. These are generally operated by old people (50-80 HKD per person). You can choose who to ride with. Aberdeen is a favorite tourist attraction.
Our Most Popular Hong Kong Tours
- Half-Day Hong Kong Island Tour — including Victoria Peak with one-way Peak Tram and Aberdeen with sampan ride
- One-Day Lantau Island and Giant Buddha Tour — taking you to visit Po Lin Monastery and Tai O Fishing Village