Hong Kong in One Day for Mid-Price Travelers
If you want to tour Hong Kong in a day, shop, enjoy some fine meals, and see fine highlights, here is a suggested tour of attractions around Victoria Harbour -- and you won't have to spend a lot of time travelling around. Victoria Harbour and Victoria Peak are quintessential Hong Kong highlights.
Also read How to Plan a Three-Day Tour of Hong Kong.
- Outdoors Recreation Attractions: Victoria Peak
- Sightseeing Attractions: Peak Tram: ICC Sky 100, Victoria Harbour, Avenue of Stars
- Parks and Zoos: Kowloon Park, Zoological and Botanical Gardens, Hong Kong Park
First, head over to the ICC Tower via the MTR to Kowloon Station. From the Sky 100 deck, see the whole city, the harbor and Victoria Peak from 100 stories (150 HKD or 20 USD). Enjoy the view and shop at the Elements Mall.
Have breakfast in a fine ICC restaurant, or take a taxi for a good all-you-can-eat Chinese and Western buffet at the YMCA (140 HKD).
Star Ferry Terminal
Walk 10 minutes to the Star Ferry. Stock up on free English maps, attraction guides, and coupons from the Tourist Information Office, just to the right of the entrance of the Central ferry. Get a Garden Road Walking Map. Tourist questions are answered for free in English!
Take the ferry to Central, and see some of the world's tallest buildings (15 minutes, 3 HKD). You’ll see the IFC Tower in Central, the Bank of China Tower in Admiralty, and the ICC Tower in West Kowloon.
From the pier, take the pedestrian overpass into the IFC Mall. Shop around in the IFC Mall in the IFC Tower -- the first building you come from the ferry pier. It is right above Hong Kong Station and quite near Central Station.
There are many fine restaurants in the mall to choose from. Some may have long lines during lunch hours. Try dim sum at the Tim Ho Wan on the podium level of Hong Kong MTR station in the IFC complex (40 HKD or 5 USD).
There is a great walk up through a park, or the Peak Tram for sightseeing. See our Victoria Peak guide about transportation, the parks and facilities, and the island walking paths on the mountain. The breeze, walking paths, and views are invigorating in good weather.
- Transport: The quickest way to the top is by taxi for about 50 HKD. Show them 太平山, or say "teye ping shan". Or take a taxi to the Peak Tram (山頂纜車, 15 minutes, 40 HKD or 5 USD). Most tourists prefer the tram for the view.
HK's Best Parks
Zoological and Botanical Gardens and Hong Kong Park are near each other. Take the tram back down and enter the nearby park. See the old colonial buildings and the Museum of Tea Ware with ancient ceramics.
- Kids Option: See the primate zoo and gardens. Walk out the east gate of the park, up Cotton Tree Drive, and up Garden Road for a few minutes. You'll pass the tram and St. Joseph's Church.
Pacific Place and Dinner
There are many interesting sights close by. See your Garden Road Walking Map. Walk from Hong Kong Park west to Pacific Place across the street. Shop and enjoy a buffet meal in a hotel restaurant.
- Transport: To get get Pacific Place by taxi, the address is 88 Queensway. It is near the Admiralty MTR station.
Avenue of Stars
One of Hong Kong's evening highlights is the 8 pm light show at the Avenue of Stars in Tsim Sha Tsui next to the Star Ferry pier. Get there by 7:40.
- Transport: You can take a taxi back to the Central ferry and cross by ferry, or use the Admiralty MTR station (15 minutes, 8 HKD / 1 USD) to go to the Tsim Sha Tsui station. The Star Ferry is a 12-minute walk from the station.
TST and the Temple Street Night Market
There are many small restaurants and tourist shops. Temple Street Night Market is known for bargain shopping and outdoor restaurants.
Our Most Popular Hong Kong Tours
- Half-Day Hong Kong Island Tour - covering the highlights of Hong Kong Island, like Victoria Peak, Aberdeen and Repulse Bay
- One-Day Lantau Island and Giant Buddha Tour - taking you to explore the best of Lantau Island including Po Lin Monastery and Tai O Fishing Village