Do you love simple hearty American food? These are 5 recommended restaurants in Hong Kong where you can enjoy good food in locations convenient for tourists: Tsim Sha Tsui, Central, the Peak, Stanley, and Wanchai.
These were chosen for authenticity (it helps if the managers and staff are American or Canadian or trained there), taste, convenience, tourist friendliness, sightseeing views, and locations at popular tourist areas.
Four of five of these are among the top few hundred restaurants on TripAdvisor in 2019. Out of tens of thousands of places, tourists like these the best.
Why waste time traveling to eat?
Tourists congregate around the harbor at Victoria Peak, Tsim Sha Tsui, and Central because the most popular attractions are there. The MTR lines, the bullet train line, ferries, and cruise ships meet around the harbor. So four of these restaurants are in these areas that you will most likely go to, and one is in Stanley that foreign tourists also visit a lot.
1. For Among the Best American Hamburgers: Butchers Club Burger
Butchers Club Wan Chai is Michelin-listed for Street Food in 2018 and 2019. It was also a Michelin-listed "Street Food" restaurant in 2015/2016. It it is among the lowest priced Michelin-selected restaurants.
Forget McDonald's and Burger King. If you want among the most authentic and most delicious American-style hamburgers available in Hong Kong, and at a low price, this is it.
- Rated 334/11,772 (Wanchai branch) on TripAdvisor in 2019. Certificate of Excellence. 1,433/10,656 (Tsim Sha Tsui branch) 2019.
Delicious and Best-of-Its-Genre
The simple hamburger is a quintessential American food. Real beef cooked just right is a delight of most Americans. Americans could go for a taste more like home and for a more American atmosphere.
Michelin praise in 2016: The experienced gourmet dining ranking publication praised their burger highly. The Michelin Guide director, Michael Ellis, said that their hamburgers were “some of the best” he's had, and he's been around the world at the best places.
The Michelin listing wasn't a Michelin star though. The Bib Gourmand rating for less expensive restaurants in Hong Kong wasn't given to them perhaps because their restaurants have more of a take-out feel.
One of only two Michelin listed hamburger restaurants: The writer did some research and didn't find that Michelin recognized any other purely hamburger restaurant in Hong Kong except Beef and Liberty in 2015 (see more about it below).
It is 15 US dollars for a regular Classic Burger. The restaurants aim to serve local regulars who are mainly expat professionals. Compared to other restaurants around the world on "world's best hamburger" lists such as those published by Business Insider or Departures, these are actually about the least expensive of the famous hamburgers in America or Asia. Their regular hamburgers cost 120 HKD (or about 15 USD).
You would expect to pay 18 or 30 USD and up for similar burgers in the US. For comparison, a local Big Mac Meal (hamburger, fries, coke) at a local McDonalds costs about 39 HKD (5.00 USD). But you'll get maybe twice the amount of food.
They specialize in hamburgers, duck fries (fries made in duck fat), American sodas and bourbon. There are few deserts to choose from. The "secret menu" has a variety of hamburgers including an Asian-style Wutang Burger and a vegetarian burger. Prices of burgers range from 120 HKD to 180 HKD.
Like small American restaurant bars
They are a little bit like a neighborhood hamburger restaurant and bar in America. The food is served in paper, and you'll probably get a can to drink from.
Small: These are small restaurants, and the staff is small. There is generally a line for lunch and dinner.
Not classy: They are set up like take-out restaurants. The food is wrapped in paper. So your money is going for food and convenience and not fancy plates.
Branches conveniently accessible for tourists
For a more American taste conveniently, tourists could go to their lesser-known Central branch near the IFC Mall or the Tsim Sha Tsui branch near famous Chung King Mansions. These restaurants don't have as high a quality of taste and service as the Bib Gourmand-rated Wan Chai branch.
Central District branch: Many tourists pass through the IFC Mall from the two MTR stations and four subway lines underneath or from the adjacent ferry pier. So their Central location is convenient.
From the IFC Mall, you can take the pedestrian overpass past the Heng Seng Bank and take the Mid-levels Escalator to go there in several minutes.
The Tsim Sha Tsui K11 Mall branch is in the ground level entrance and a minute walk away behind the Mirador from the Nathan Road.
You could walk to it from the Star Ferry/Avenue of Stars in about 14 minutes by going through the underground pedestrian tunnels and coming up behind Chung King Mansion at Exit N5.
- Price per person: about 170 HKD (21 USD) for burger, fries, and a drink. This is 4 times more than a McDonald's Big Mac Meal.
- Hours: open for lunch to late dinner from about 11:00 am – 11:00 pm depending on the branch
- Tel: Wan Chai 2528 2083, Central 2347 0755, TST 2897 7522
- Addresses: G/F, Rialto Building, 2 Landale Street, Wan Chai, 82 Stanley Street, Central; Shop G34-35, G/F, K11, 18 Hanoi Road, TST; and (new) G/F, Westland Gardens, 12 Westlands Road, Quarry Bay (灣仔蘭杜街2號麗都大廈10號地舖; 中環士丹利街82號; 尖沙咀河內道18號K11購物藝術館地下G34-35舖; 鰂魚涌華蘭路12號惠安苑地下)
- MTR transport: For the Central branch, take the MTR to Central Station or Hong Kong Station. It is close to the Mid-Levels Escalator for ease of transport. You can take it to Stanley Street. For the Tsim Sha Tsui branch, you could exit via Tsim Sha Tsui MTR Exit N5 or D2 and get to it in a minute.
2. Beef and Liberty: Excellent, American, and Friendly
Friendly, delicious, and inexpensive: This restaurant comes out a close second on this list. It isn't as well known as Butchers Club, but you might think the hamburgers taste even better because they serve grass fed beef from Tasmania. But it isn't as conveniently located in a major tourist area, so it wasn't listed first.
Good choice for atmosphere: The restaurant is probably the friendliest and happiest of all these though. It is in Stanley, a popular tourist town.
Bib Gourmand Michelin rating: In 2015, they were listed in the Bib Gourmand listing of about 67 restaurants for Hong Kong as an excellent place for a meal under 300 HKD. But were not listed from 2016 to 2019. TripAdvisor ranks them as one of the best in Hong Kong. Americans especially like it.
- Rated 79/10,392 and Certificate of Excellence in 2019 on TripAdvisor
Featuring grass fed beef and free range pork...
If you've ever eaten free range beef, you know how much better it is than corn, soybean, and gmo fed beef. Natural grass and no hormones produce a very delicious and healthy natural beef high in natural omega 3 and protein, and it is much better than standard USDA beef. This sort of beef is more expensive. It comes from Tasmania where there is low pollution too.
Exotic free range pork: They serve pork from a rare breed of hairy pigs. These run almost wild in a large farm in Hungary.
Regular dining restaurant
No lines: It is a bigger dine-in regular restaurant that seats about 120 people.
Wider selection: They serve fresh salads and tasty deserts and side dishes.
Regular plates: The food is served on regular plates or trays, and there are wait staff. The tables are large enough for small groups.
Child friendlier: The size of the tables and clientele makes it more suitable for families and kids.
It has sort of a Southern American style, and Americans like its authenticity and unusual service friendliness in a region where the waiters and staff are often curt and even rude. An average meal of burger, fries and a soda is a little cheaper than at Butchers Club.
- Price per person: about 120 to 250 HKD.
- Hours: 11:30 am – 10:00 pm Monday to Thursday, 11:30 am – 10:30 pm Friday, and 9:00 am – 22:30 Saturday and Sunday.
- Tel: 2563 2798
- Addresses: G04, G/F, 23 Carmel Road Stanley Plaza, Stanley 佳美道23號赤柱廣場G/F, G04
- MTR transport: The restaurant is in the out of the way town of Stanley on the southern side of Hong Kong Island. Going there is convenient for those in the area including Ocean Park and Repulse Bay. You could take Bus 260 from Central (31 minutes) and Ocean Park (23 minutes). A taxi from Central takes about 16 minutes.
More about the Top 6 Children Friendly Restaurants in Hong Kong>>
3. Bubba Gump American Seafood Restaurant on Victoria Peak
This is a fun tourist restaurant for people who want to eat at something like an American bayou country restaurant. It is at a particularly scenic point on top of Victoria Peak. The scenery, tourist satisfaction, and convenience makes it popular with tourists.
- Rated 197/10,389 on TripAdvisor in 2019
The spectacular views and the location are the highlights.
The view is one of the best in the whole city. You can see Victoria Harbor down below if you book a window seat. The harbor is often called one of the most beautiful in the world, and it is one of the top three most popular places. It is particularly beautiful in the evening especially during the 8 pm light show.
Victoria Peak itself is the most popular Hong Kong attraction that gets about 7 million visitors a year. So its location is quite convenient right next to the scenic Peak Tram and near where the taxis and buses stop.
Sightseeing: There are walking paths and sightseeing overlooks on top of the peak. So this is a place to stop in for refreshments or a meal after a walk.
Special features include movie theme and variety of food.
It is a theme restaurant based on the old movie Forrest Gump. So you'll see pictures and memorabilia from the movie.
Variety of food: Shrimp take the “leading role” there. Other American food is served there too such as steak, salad, breads, pasta and red wine.
- Chinese name: 阿甘虾餐厅 /ah-gan sshyah tsan-ting/
- Average price per person: HKD 300
- Hours: 11am–11pm (from Monday to Saturday); 11am–midnight (public holiday eve)
- Tel: 852-2849 2867
- Address: Unit 304-305, Floor 3, the Peak Tower, 128 Peak Road (山顶道128号凌霄阁3楼304-305号铺)
- Transport: The Peak Tram, Bus 15 from the Central piers.
4. BLT Steak - Excellent Location and Scenic Harbor View
This traditional American style restaurant is part of a chain of steak restaurants that stretch across America. It is known for quality steaks and a lunch buffet at a medium price for Hong Kong.
It is also especially appreciated for its convenient easily accessible location for tourists on the harbor in the Harbour City Mall.
- Rated 437/10,389 on TripAdvisor in 2019
Its convenient location almost can't be matched.
The Star Ferry is the most popular in the world, and is one of the top most popular things that tourists like to do. The restaurant is right at ground level with an entrance facing the pier only a hundred yards away. It is about two hundred yards from the Avenue of Stars and its Symphony of Lights show that is also one of the top attractions of Hong Kong.
It is also right at the entrance of Harbour City Mall that is the biggest mall in the region. It is next to the Ocean Terminal where cruise ships dock. Other big ships such as military vessels also dock there.
Harbor views: Whether sitting next to the windows or out on their patio, you can see the ships and some of the harbor. People like to get a table on the patio for the 8 pm Symphony of Lights. But there are not many window tables. So it is best to reserve one.
Service, cleanliness, food
Prices here are at least twice as much for a meal than the first two, but you can expect better service from the wait staff and cleanliness. The decor isn't fancy. The convenient location helps make up for the price.
Note: There is a second BLT Steak Branch on the 3rd Level of the Harbour City Mall. The view isn't as good and it is rated lower.
Variety of dishes
Dinner: Everything from beef burgers to sea food to a variety of meats is served. There are a dozen side dishes and another dozen deserts.
Lunch buffet or brunch! From 12 to 3 on weekdays there is a lunch buffet, and from 12 to 4 on weekends, there is a brunch special buffet featuring all you can eat roast beef or lamb and a variety of salads, sides, and desert.
- Price per person: about 600 HKD for dinner. For the weekend brunch buffet, about 300 HKD. For the weekday lunch buffet selection, 138 HKD.
- Hours: dining from 11:00 to 11:00 pm (open later on weekends and public holidays). Weekend Brunch Buffet Saturday, Sunday & public holidays.
- Tel: 2730 3508
- Addresses: OTG62, G/F, Ocean Terminal, Canton Road, Tsim Sha Tsui 尖沙咀廣東道17號海港城海運大廈地下OTG62號舖
- Transport: Exit A1, C1, L5 Tsim Sha Tsui Station. A bus station is about 120 yards away in front of the Star Ferry. Bus 2, 6, 7 and many others stop there. From the Central piers, the Star Ferry ride takes about 8 minutes.
5. Dan Ryan's Chicago Grill - Excellent Location and a Harbor View
This is another American restaurant in Harbour City Mall. Like BLT Steak, it is near the pier entrance of the mall, so it is very easy to get to from the Star Ferry pier. There are windows on the harbor side, but since the restaurant is so big, most tables don't get a good window view.
- Rated 872/10,389 on TripAdvisor in 2019. Increasing in popularity over time.
More of a sports and bar restaurant instead of fine dining
Good food, large portions: The restaurant is known for large portions. So you won't need to order as many dishes to leave full.
Like a truck stop restaurant: It is like a big truck stop restaurant in the US where the portions are large. It seems like a decent place to eat that isn't as fancy and expensive as other places. The availability of tables makes it good for groups or big families. The writer didn't see any American staff, but the restaurant chain is American. A big screen TV is prominently on the wall.
Value: The large portions keeps regulars returning as does the readily available seating and no lines (saves time). So it is more of a value for the money.
Lower TripAdvisor rating: Part of the reason for the lower rating might be that tourists passing through the mall don't see it unless they are specifically looking out for it. It isn't in a prominent location.
Variety of Dishes
Dinner: Everything from burgers to sea food to a variety of meats is served along with salads and many choices for dessert.
- Price per person: about 250-600 HKD.
- Hours: 11:00 am to midnight Monday to Friday. Saturday and Sunday, 10:00 to midnight.
- Tel: 2735 6111
- Addresses: Dan Ryan's Chicago Grill, 315 Ocean Terminal, Harbour City, Canton Road, Tsim Sha Tsui 尖沙咀廣東道17號海港城海運大廈3樓OT315號舖
- Transport: Exit A1, C1, L5 Tsim Sha Tsui Station. A bus station is about 120 yards away in front of the Star Ferry. Bus 2, 6, 7 and many others stop there. From the Central piers, the Star Ferry ride takes about 8 minutes. Take the escalator to the third floor at the mall's pier
How Dining is Done in Hong Kong
Go at the right time and reserve seats.
Breakfast time is from 6:30 am to 10:30 am, lunch is from 12:30 pm to 2 pm, and dinnertime is from 7 pm to 9 pm. Make a reservation if you plan to dine in popular restaurants. Otherwise be prepared to line up.
In smaller restaurants, sharing a table is a common practice, so if your party is small and a bigger group shows up, you may be asked to share your space or move to another table. This will be less of a problem in these American-style restaurants.
Recommended Hong Kong Tours
Tours: Our tours are reasonably priced, and they can be customized to your requirements:
- Half-Day Hong Kong Island Tour - Victoria Peak, Peak Tram, Aberdeen, sampan ride, and more
- One-Day Lantau Island and Giant Buddha Tour - Po Lin Monastery and Tai O Fishing Village
- Imperial and Scenic China Family Tour - our 10-Day Beijing, Guilin, Yangshuo, and Hong Kong Tour