Name: Lanzhou (兰州; Lánzhōu /lan-zhow/)
Meaning: 'Orchid Prefecture'
Previous names: Jincheng (Gold City), Yunwu, Lanzhuan
- Old Silk Road city
- Important transportation station to Lhasa, Tibet
- The Yellow River flows through the city
- Now it is the administrative center of a major industrial region.
- Zhongshan Bridge, Green Corridor Along Binhe Road (park), Bingling Si, Five Springs Mountain, Waterwheel Garden, White Pagoda Mountain
- Museum: Gansu Provincial Museum
- Most popular souvenirs and local products: traditional handicrafts, clothes
- Most popular local food: Lanzhou Muslim hand-made noodles, Muslim flat bread, Huanghe Beer
The city was once a Silk Road route crossing point on the Yellow River. A bridge built on boats once spanned it. Now it is an inland industrial center and a transportation hub for trains and expressways.
- 763 The city was captured by the Tibetan Empire.
- 843 The city was captured by the Tang Empire
- 1235 The Mongol Empire captured it.
- 1860s and 1870s The city experienced war during the Dugan Revolt.
- 1930s and 1940s The city was successfully defended, and the Japanese army didn't capture it.
- Significance of the city: The city is at one end of a broad lowland that stretches to Xinjiang that is called the Gansu Corridor. The city developed at the place where the Gansu Corridor meets the Yellow River. It was a natural crossing point for Silk Road travellers and traders and became a mercantile city. Now, it is a large municipality in terms of land area.
- Nearby cities: Gannan (144 km/89 mi), Xi'an (656 km/400 mi), Xining (181 km/112 mi), Yinchuan (440 km/270 mi)
- Municipality terrain: The city straddles the Yellow River and sits in a long valley.
- Average altitude: 1,600 meters (5,250 feet)
- Main rivers: Yellow River
- Municipality location: northern China
- Municipality population: 3,616,000
- Municipality area: 13,300 sq km (5,135 sq mi)
- Municipality population density: 150/sq km (388/sq mi)
- Urban area: 1,088 sq km (420 sq mi)
- Urban population: 2,177,000
- Urban population density: 2,000/sq km (5,182/sq mi)
- North to south distance of main urban area: 3.3 km (5.4 mi)
- East to west distance of main urban area: 23.3 km (14.5 mi)
- City Center: Lanzhou West Railway Station (36.07N, 103.8E)
- Average annual high temperature in July: 29 °C (84 °F)
- Average annual low temperature in January: -10 °C (14 °F)
- Semi-arid, high-altitude, temperate climate; precipitation: 315 mm (12.4 in)
Known for smog, Yellow River pollution, and dust storms.
- Average annual income: (2008) 26,566 RMB (3,363 USD)
- Development: developing the city is an industrial center in a mineral and energy-rich region.
- Industry: 48.8% tertiary industry (services), 48.1% secondary (petrochemicals, electronics, industry), 3.1% primary (agriculture)
- Shopping Streets: Hezheng Lu Street Market
- Lanzhou Zhongchuan Airport is 75 km from the city center.
- 4 regular rail lines
- 1 bullet train line is under construction.