The Trugo Monastery
- Located 4,500 meters above sea level
- One of the best-preserved monasteries on the bank of the sacred lake, Manasarovar
- Has a history of over 400 years
Features of the Trugo Monastery
Trugo Monastery is one of the best-preserved monasteries on the bank of the sacred lake, Manasarovar. Prayerful palmers from all over the world visit the sacred lake every year and spend days walking around the lake.
Some of them even sell their property to get enough money for their trip.
The Trugo Monastery is over 1,400 km from Lhasa. It can only be accessed via off-road vehicle or truck. The architectural style of the monastery is quite simple.
Like other monasteries in Tibet, it has white walls and black windows with red windowsills. The monastery has a particularly striking presence beside the blue lake.
The best time to visit Trugo Monastery is from June to August. After this time, the rainy season begins and the road to the monastery becomes loblolly and difficult to pass. During winter and spring, heavy snows make the monastery impossible to access.
History of the Trugo Monastery
Trugo Monastery has a history of over 400 years. It was destroyed during the 1960s and rebuilt in 1985. The original monastery was built by a master from bKa'r Gyud as a shelter beside the lake for shamans to rest while on pilgrimage.
The monastery was extended by passers-by and grew into the size it is today.
How to get to the Trugo Monastery
The monastery can only be reached by off-road vehicle or truck, and it takes at least two days to get there from Lhasa. China Highlights can help customers arrange a tour to visit the monastery. Need a travel advisor?
- There are no restaurants on the way to Trugo Monastery from Lhasa, and you need to bring food and supplies with you.
- Taking photos within the monastery is not allowed.
- There is only one guesthouse near the sacred lake, and accommodations are limited. You may need to share a room with other tourists or palmers.
- Fishing is not allowed in the sacred lake.
- Do not try to climb the mountains, such as Memo Nani Snow Mountain, without a professional local guide or proper equipment.
Experience Tibet with Us
If you are looking to go sightseeing in Tibet, check out our top Tibet tours and add Trugo Monastery as the attractions when booking if they’re not included.
All our tours are customizable. We can also create an expert itinerary from your requirements. We can help you design to trip to Tibet to experience this festival. See the following popular Tibet tours for inspiration:
- 10-Days Beijing-Lhasa-Shanghai
- 8-Days Lhasa to Everest Base Camp Tour
- 7-Days Tibet Tours by Train from Xining
- 5-Days Lhasa Classics and Lake Yamdrok -Tour
- 4-Days Lhasa Highlights Comfort Tour