- China Tours +
- Create My Trip
- Destinations +
- Travel Guide +
- China Visas
- The Great Wall of China
- China’s Top 10 Attractions
- Giant Pandas
- The Terracotta Army
- Best of China
- Culture +
- Asia Tours
- Day Tours
Fish-flavored shredded pork is a common Sichuan dish. The "fish flavor" is not created using any fish products but by combining chili sauce, salt, soy sauce, white sugar, green onions, ginger, and garlic. Therefore, this dish has a complex but delicious taste that is salty, sweet, sour, spicy, and fresh (not particularly fishy).
Main ingredients: 250g lean pork, 100g carrot, 70g black fungus
Seasonings: 3g salt, 10g light soy sauce, 10g corn starch, 2 green onions, small piece of ginger, 5 cloves of garlic, 5–6 green chilies, 50g cooking oil, 5g vinegar, 15g white sugar, 30g thick broad bean sauce
(The amount of the seasonings can be adjusted according to personal taste.)
1. Clean the lean pork and shred it.
2. Mix the white sugar, light soy sauce, vinegar, salt, and corn starch together to make a marinade. Marinate the pork in the sauce for 30 minutes or longer.
3. Clean the black fungus, carrots, and green chilies, and then shred them. Clean the ginger, green onions, and garlic, then mince them.
4. Make a wet corn starch sauce by mixing and stirring some corn starch in a small dish with some water.
1. Heat about ¾ of the cooking oil (save the rest of the cooking oil for later use) in a wok. Add the shredded pork and stir-fry until it turns brown. Then place the pork on a plate.
2. Leave the oil in the wok and keep it heated. Add the shredded carrot and stir-fry it for about 30 seconds. Then add the black fungus and continue stir-frying for about 30 seconds, before placing the ingredients on a plate.
3. Add the rest of the cooking oil to the wok. Add the garlic and ginger, and stir-fry on a high heat for about 30 seconds. Add the green pepper and continue stir-frying for 30 seconds.
4. Re-add the fried pork, add the thick broad bean sauce, and stir-fry together for 30 seconds.
5. Re-add the black fungus and shredded carrot, and stir-fry until the ingredients are thoroughly mixed together. Add the wet corn starch; continue stir-frying for 30 seconds.
6. Serve the fish-flavored shredded pork on a plate — and enjoy it.
If you want to learn to cook traditional Chinese dishes, we offer you the opportunity. See our most popular food tours, which offer cooking classes as well as must-see sights.
Or you can contact us and we can add the experience of learning to cook Chinese dishes to your China tours.