How to Cook Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin is native to North America. It was introduced into China a long time ago. Now it has been planted all over China and it is a common ingredient of Chinese cooking. Pumpkin has a rich nutritional value containing starch, protein, carotene, and vitamins B and C. There are many ways to make pumpkin pie with different fillings. Here we will introduce one of them.
Ingredients and Seasonings
Main ingredients: 400g pumpkin, 1 banana, half a bowl of sticky rice flour
Seasonings: some cooking oil
(The amount of the seasonings listed above can be adjusted according to personal taste.)
- Peel and slice the banana.
- Peel the pumpkin and remove the pulp and seeds. Clean and slice it.
- Steam the pumpkin for about 15 minutes on a high heat.
- Take out the pumpkin and mash it. Mix the mashed pumpkin with sticky rice flour to create a pumpkin paste. If it is too dry, please add some water. Divide it into small portions.
- Press the small portions flat. Add one or two pieces of banana and mold them into flat round shapes to create the pumpkin pies.
- Add cooking oil into a pan and heat it to 50% of its temperature. Put the pumpkin pies into the pan and fry them over a medium-low heat until they become golden.
- Turn the pumpkin pies over and fry them until they are golden.
- The pumpkin pies are finished.
(If you prefer a sweeter taste, you can add some sugar when you make the pumpkin paste. If you don’t like the banana filling, you can replace it with another food.)
Travel with Us and Learn to Cook Traditional Chinese Dishes
If you want to learn to cook traditional Chinese dishes in China, China Highlights offers you the opportunity. See our most popular food tours, with cooking classes alongside must-see sights:
- The Flavor of China — a 12-Day Beijing, Xi'an, Guilin, and Hong Kong cuisine tour
- A Culinary Adventure — an 8-Day Beijing, Chengdu, and Guangzhou tour
Or you can contact us and we can add the experience of learning to cook Chinese dishes to your very own tailor-made China tour.