How to Cook Yangzhou Fried Rice
Yangzhou fried rice is also called Yangzhou fried rice with egg. It is a popular Yangzhou specialty with a long history. It's said that it originates from a powerful minister, Yang Su, from the Sui Dynasty (581–618) and his favored dish, Sui Jin Fan (fried rice with egg).
It is dazzling with many colorful ingredients. It is also a good choice to make with leftover rice.
Ingredients and Seasonings
Main ingredients: 250g cooked rice (or leftover rice), 2 eggs, 2 carrots, 4 mushrooms, 50g corn kernels, 1 cucumber, 1 red bell pepper, 50g sausage
Seasonings: 1 soupspoon salad oil, 4g salt
(The amount of the seasonings can be adjusted according to personal taste.)
1. Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk them until thoroughly mixed using a wire whisk or chopsticks.
2. Cut the sausage into ½ cm cubes. Finely chop the mushrooms, carrots, red bell pepper, and cucumber.
1. Heat some cooking oil in a wok. Add the beaten eggs and fry them on a medium heat. After the eggs have set, break them up into small pieces. Remove the egg mixture from the wok and place it onto a plate.
2. Add some cooking oil to the wok. Add the mushrooms, corn kernels, carrots, cucumber, red bell pepper, and sausage, and stir-fry them briefly.
3. Add the fried egg mixture to the rest of the ingredients in the wok along with the cooked rice, and stir-fry evenly. Add some salt and continue to stir-fry until the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
4. Serve the Yangzhou fried rice on a dish for sharing or into a bowl for one person.
Travel with China Highlights and Learn to Cook Traditional Chinese Dishes
If you want to learn to cook traditional Chinese dishes, we offer you the opportunity. See our most popular food tours, which offer cooking classes as well as must-see sights.
- The Flavor of China — a 12-Day Beijing, Xi’an, Guilin, and Hong Kong cuisine tour
- A Culinary Adventure — an 8-Day Beijing, Chengdu, and Guangzhou tour
Or you can contact us and we can add the experience of learning to cook Chinese dishes to your China tours.