- China Tours +
- Create My Trip
- Destinations +
- Travel Guide +
- China Visas
- The Great Wall of China
- China’s Top 10 Attractions
- Giant Pandas
- The Terracotta Army
- Best of China
- Trains +
- Asia Tours
- Day Tours
Train is a comfortable and affordable way traveling between China and Kazakhstan. There are 2 pairs of weekly international trains linking Urumqi and Almaty/Astana:
There are five carriages on Urumqi to Almaty/Astana train. Only soft sleeper class (four berths in a private compartment, with a lockable door) is available.
Please note: From September 1st, international trains K9795 and K9797 will depart from Urumqi Railway Station (乌鲁木齐站), not the original Urumqi South Railway Station.
(Updated on May 20th, 2019)
|K9797 Urumqi – Almaty – Astana|
|1||Urumqi Railway Station (乌鲁木齐站)||China||Monday||23:26|
K9795 Urumqi – Almaty (departs on Monday)
|1||Urumqi Railway Station (乌鲁木齐站)||China||Monday||23:33|
K9795 Urumqi – Almaty (departs on Saturday)
|1||Urumqi Railway Station (乌鲁木齐站)||China||Saturday||23:33|
Reservation of international tickets open 30 days before departure. You can buy the ticket at designated ticket office in Ya Ou Hotel, or with travel agencies like China Highlights. Only cash (RMB) is accepted at ticket office and no English is spoken. So you are recommended to buy an international train ticket online with China Highlights. We provide detailed and helpful English guidance and a 24/7 service. A ticket delivery service is also available.
Required documents: photocopies of all the passengers' passports and visas are required when make the booking.
Each baggage shouldn't exceed 200 cm (79 inches) by length+width+height.
1. International train between Urumqi and Almaty/Astana doesn't have a dining car. Food and drink are not available onboard. Please buy your own food before taking the train.
2. The train will change its locomotive at Khorgas (a border city in Xinjiang, China) when the train stops at 12:30, Beijing Time. It will take 1.5-2 hours. During this time, all passengers will need to get off the train.
3. You will need to go through the customs at Khorgas to leave China.
4. At Altynkol, a border city in Kazakhstan, you will need to go through the customs again to enter Kazakhstan. The train will stop at this city for around 1.5 hours.