The world-attention-grabbing 2022 Winter Olympics are around the corner. We trust you may have a lot of questions about where and when is the next Winter Olympics, will Winter Olympics be held in 2022, how to get tickets for the 2022 Olympics, etc.
1. Will the Winter Olympics be held in 2022?
The Olympics 2022 are still set to take place on time, despite difficulties caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Effective measures were taken after the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic in China, which became one of the first countries to restore its economy. It aims to provide COVID-safe and high-quality conditions for hosting the 2022 Winter Olympics.
2. Where will the 2022 Winter Olympics be?
On July 31, 2015, beating out Almaty of Kazakhstan in a tight contest, Beijing was chosen by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to host the 2022 Winter Olympics.
Beijing, the first city ever to host both the Summer Olympics and Winter Olympics, will cooperate with its neighboring city, Zhangjiakou to stage the Winter Games. Over 25 venues will host the Games, spread over three competition zones or clusters in central Beijing, Yanqing District of Beijing, and Zhangjiakou in Hebei Province.
3. How can I get the Winter Olympics 2022 tickets?
Tickets for the Olympics 2022 will not be sold to the general public, according to the announcement from the Beijing Organising Committee on Jan. 17, 2022. They will invite groups of spectators to be present on-site during the Games.
A Review of Winter Olympics 2022 Tickets
- On Jan. 17, 2022, the Beijing Organising Committee announced that " Given the current grave and complicated situation of the COVID-19 pandemic and to ensure the safety of all participants and spectators, it was decided that tickets should not be sold anymore but be part of an adapted programme that will invite groups of spectators to be present on-site during the Games." [January 2022].
- On Sep. 30, 2021, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) officially announced that tickets for Beijing 2022 will be sold exclusively to spectators residing in China's mainland. Ticket rates and booking procedures have not yet been made available [September 2021].
- According to the bidding report sent to IOC in 2015, there would be three types of tickets, tickets for the opening ceremony, tickets for events competitions, and tickets for the closing ceremony, costing from 50 to 4,882 CNY (approximately 8–787 USD) per ticket. The highest ticket prices are for the opening and closing ceremonies, ranging from 732 to 4,882 CNY (about 118 to 787 USD). Tickets for popular events are about 149 to 1,464 CNY (about 24–236 USD), and tickets for general events are around 50 to 490 CNY (about 8 to 79 USD) [January 2015].
4. Where to watch the Winter Olympics 2022 live?
The Olympics 2022 sports will be aired on your local broadcasters. And you can also watch sports through online channels, like Tik Tok, Youtube, etc.
You can subscribe to your local TV or App providers for a detailed schedule.
Bell Media (TSN and RDS)
Rogers Media (Sportsnet)
|Most European Countries||Eurosport|
5. How many new events will be added to the Beijing 2022 Winter Games?
A total of 109 events in 15 disciplines of 7 sports will be staged during the 2022 Winter Games. Among them, 7 new events have been added to the Games, aiming to provide a more gender-balanced Winter Olympics.
|Discipline||Newly Added Event|
|Short Track Speed Skating||Team Relay|
|Ski Jumping||Mixed Team|
|Freestyle Skiing||Men's Big Air|
|Women's Big Air|
|Aerials Mixed Team|
|Snowboard||Snowboard Cross Mixed Team|
6. Where will the next Olympics be held?
The gap between each Summer and Winter Olympics in two years, and the Summer Olympics and Winter Olympics are both held every four years.
The next four Olympics have been confirmed as:
- Beijing for the 2022 Winter Olympics: Feb. 4–20, 2022
- Paris for the 2024 Summer Olympics: Jul. 26 – Aug. 11, 2024
- Milan–Cortina for the 2026 Winter Olympics: Feb. 6–22, 2026
- Los Angeles for the 2028 Summer Olympics: Jul. 21 – Aug. 6, 2028
Enjoy the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics with China Highlights
The dates of the 2022 Winter Games happen to coincide with Chinese New Year, a great time to encounter traditional celebrations in China. If you are planning a trip to China for the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics, we at China Highlights can customize a unique China tour to include both sports experiences and the essence of Beijing plus other parts of China, according to your interests.
Here are some tours which are fully customizable: