First the Chinese restaurants we recommend, listed by district, from central Wuhan out. Then follows a section on Wuhan's Western restaurants, and links for vegetarian and Muslim options.
Jianghan District ("Hankou", West Central)
The decoration there is really elegant and magnificent, mainly serving pure Huhan style dishes. Steamed spareribs with millet (小米蒸排骨), dumplings wrapped with tofu (豆腐圆子), Niurou Doupi (牛肉豆皮, skin of tofu made with beef), glutinous rice cake (糍粑), fried weever (香煎鲈鱼) and milk custard (双皮奶) are highly recommended by customers having been there.
- Chinese name: 老汉口 Lao Hankou /law han-koh/
- Average price per person:77 yuan
- Opening hours: 11:30am–1:45pm and 5:30–8:45
- Address: Floor 1, Xunlimen Jinmao Building, 8 Hanjiang North Road, Jianghan District (江汉区汉口江汉北路8号循礼门金茂大楼1楼)
- Tel: 027-8556 1617
Guangdong Shanghui Restaurant
The restaurant serves pure Cantonese cuisine and deserts. Pure Cantonese morning tea and night tea served with shrimp dumplings (虾饺), steamed buns stuffed with barbecue roast pork (叉烧包) and steamed chicken claws (凤爪) enjoy high popularity in Wuhan. Minced pork congee with preserved egg (皮蛋瘦肉粥), crispy durian cake (榴莲酥) and those exquisite Cantonese dishes are really delicious.
- Chinese name: 广东商会酒楼 Guangdong Shanghui Jiulou /gwung-dong shung-hway jyo-loh/
- Average price per person: 50 yuan
- Opening hours: 9:30am –2pm, 5pm–2am (The restaurant opens at 8:30am on Saturday and Sunday)
- Address: Ximu Grand Hotel, 22 Xinhua Xia Road, Jianghan District (江汉区新华下路22号希木大酒店)
- Tel: 027-8576 9777
- Transportation: Take bus 9, 291, 519, 575, 601, 604, 705 or 809 and get off at Machang Jiao (马场角) or Beihu (北湖).
Wuchang District (East Central)
Hujin Restaurant mainly serves Hubei style dishes, with the signature dish is Lade Tiao (辣得跳, spiced bullfrog). Some other recommended dishes crispy spareribs with spicy salt (椒盐排骨), soup made with spareribs and lotus roots (排骨藕汤), fried Wuchang fish (葱烧武昌鱼), tofu cooked with crab cream (蟹黄豆腐) and roast duck (片皮鸭).
- Chinese name: 湖锦酒楼 Hujin Jiulou /hoo-jin jyoh-loh/
- Average price per person: 62 yuan
- Address: 105 Wuchang Bayi Road, Wuchang District (武昌区武昌八一路105号)
- Tel: 027-8727 8811, 8727 8822
Jiang'an District (North Central)
Thailand Gold Orchid Revolving Restaurant
The height of the restaurant gives customers charming scenery of river view and night scene. It was decorated in typical Southeast Asian style. Curry crabs (咖喱蟹), Tong Yam Kung (冬阴功汤, a soup with the main ingredients are chicken and shrimp) and salmon are highly recommended by customers having been there.
- Chinese name: 泰国金兰花旋转餐厅 Taiguo Jinlanhua Xuanzhuan Canting /teye-gwor jin-lan-hwah sshwan-jwan tsan-ting/
- Average price per person: 205 yuan
- Opening hours: 5:30pm–10pm
- Address: Floor 41, Howard Johnson Pearl Plaza, 182 Hankou Yanjiang Avenue, Jiang’an District (江岸区汉口沿江大道182号江城明珠豪生大酒店)
- Tel: 027-8277 6666
Colorful Cloud Pavilion
It is really difficult to relish pure Cantonese cuisine. Colorful Cloud Pavilion restaurant is a restaurant serves pure Cantonese dishes with exquisite appearances and light taste. The decoration there is comfortable and beautiful, and the servers are kind and dexterous. Two most popular dishes are crispy durian cake (榴莲酥) and Hupo Zhima shrimp (湖泊芝麻虾, bamboo prawns cooked with sesame seeds.
- Chinese name: 彩云轩 Cai Yun Xuan /tseye yoon sshwan/
- Average price per person: 104 yuan
- Opening hours: 10am –11pm
- Address: Building 2, Wuhan Tiandi, 68 Lugou Qiao Road, Jiang’an District (江岸区卢沟桥路68号武汉天地2号楼)
- Tel: 027-8188 5188
The restaurant has excellent dining environment, mainly serving pure Hubei style dishes. Roast duck (片皮鸭) and spareribs cooked with minced garlic (蒜香排骨) should be two signature dishes of Kanglong Prince Restaurant. Steamed scallops with minced garlic (蒜蓉蒸扇贝), steamed weever (清蒸鲈鱼), mushroom soup (野菌汤) and tofu cooked with shrimp meat (虾仁豆腐) are recommended dishes.
- Chinese name: 亢龙太子酒轩 Kanglong Taizi Jiuxuan /kung-long teye-zee jyoh-sshwan/
- Average price per person: 85 yuan
- Address: 711 Jianshe Avenue, Jiang’an District (江岸区建设大道711号)
- Tel: 027-8576 8666, 8576 8999
- How to get there: Take bus 208, 509, 550, 560 or 597, get off at Echeng Dun in Jianshe Avenue (建设大道鄂城墩), and move on 100 meters.
There is branch restaurant in eastily outlying Hongshan District (江岸区), across the Yangtze.
Hongshan District (East Suburbs)
Jiuloon Grand Hotel
The restaurant mainly serves Hubei home style dishes with affordable price. Roti canai (印度甩饼, Indian style pancake), mutton chop (羊排), sizzling eggplant (铁板茄子) and steamed fish with diced hot red peppers (剁椒鱼头) are recommended dishes.
Kouwei Hall Restaurant
The restaurant is decorated in traditional Chinese style, mainly serving Hunan style dishes (taste spicy). Kouwei Yutou (口味鱼头, fish head cooked with green chili sauce) should be the most popular dish there.
Cangqiao Family Japanese Restaurant
The restaurant is decorated in typical Japanese style. Recommended food is sushi, enoki mushroom in beef rolls (金针菇牛肉卷), salmon, eel, Japanese style hot pot, cherry blossom rolls and pulled noodles.
The position of the restaurant is a little bit to reach, but it is still popular. The restaurant mainly serves Hubei style dishes with exquisite appearance and light taste. Chinese yam cooked with blueberry (蓝莓山药) and Dongpo meat (东坡肉) are two recommended dishes.
- Average price per person: 63 yuan
- Opening hours: 9:30–10pm
- Address: 226 Hankou Yanjiang Avenue, Jiang’an District (江岸区汉口沿江大道226号（
- Tel: 027-8271 2228, 8271 7778
- Chinese name: 九龙大酒店 Jiulong Dajiudian /jyo-long dar-jyo-dyen/
- Average price per person: 54 yuan
- Address: 272 Wuchang Xiongchu Avenue, Hongshan District (洪山区武昌雄楚大街272号)
- Tel: 027-8739 5888, 8767 7879
- Chinese name: 口味堂 Kouwei Tang /koh-way tang/
- Average price per person: 53 yuan
- Address: Te 1 Wuchang Zhuodaoquan, Hongshan District (洪山区武昌卓刀泉特1号)
- Tel: 027-8745 1069
- Chinese name: 仓桥家日本料理 Cangqiao Jia Riben Liaoli /tsung-qyoww jyah ri-ben lyoww-lee/
- Average price per person: 48 yuan
- Opening hours: The restaurant is closed at 10pm.
- Address: Floor 7, Qunguang Square, 6 Luoyu Road, Hongshan District (洪山区珞瑜路6号群光广场7楼)
- Tel: 027-8766 5112
- Chinese name: 食尚坊 Shishang Fang /shee-shung fung/
- Average price per person: 88 yuan
- Opening hours: 9am@10pm
- Address: Grace Garden Hotel, Donghu North Open Economic Zone, Hongshan District (洪山区东湖北开发区格雷斯花园酒店内)
- Tel: 0127-8169 2350
There are fast food chains like KFCs and MacDonalds, but there are not as many Western fast food places as in big coastal cities. Some Chinese chains selling Western-style food substitute. Wuhan is modernizing and hoping to attract Western visitors, and more places are opening up.
In Hankou (Jianghan District), the American Cowboy Restaurant near the Shangri-la Hotel serves a buffet between 2 pm and 11 pm every day for 30 RMB. The food is good, and this place attracts middle-class Chinese people. Also in Hankou, near the Galaxy Plaza is the Yes Bar, a lively place serving western food. Finally, there is a great little Western style bakery in the Holiday Inn Hotel.
The American Cowboy Restaurant near the Shangri-la Hotel in Hankou serves buffet. The Western bakery in the Holiday Inn Hotel in Hanyang is within walking distance of Yellow Crane Tower Park.
In Wuchang District, for almost authentic Western-style pizza, desserts and coffee, there is Mr. Mai’s Coffee Shop, which is owned by an American family. The food is good, but prices are higher than in a Chinese restaurant, though lower than Starbucks. A lot of foreigners frequent the restaurant-coffee shop combo. It is located on Chuang Ye Street south of East Lake Park and north of Wuluolu.
With European style decoration, the dining-tables there are selected carefully, so as to match the decoration style. The restaurant mainly serves exquisite and delicious French food, such as garlic bread, Xiangsong drink with rose fragrant (香颂玫瑰露), filet steak (菲力牛排), Madrid sliced rare beef (马德里生切牛肉), caramel pumpkin pudding (焦糖南瓜布丁), tiramisu and French style snail soup (法式蜗牛汤).
- Chinese name: 戈雅牛排法餐厅 Geya Niupai Fa Canting /ger-yah nyo-peye far tsan-ting/
- Average price per person: 124 yuan
- Opening hours: 10:30am –10pm
- Address: 153 Qingnian Road, Jianghan District (江汉区青年路153号)
- Tel: 027-8369 9099, 8369 9199
- Transportation: Take 10, 38, 46, 70, 71, 79, 208, 411, 512, 526, 536, 550 or 560 and get off at Qingnian Road (青年路).
It is a small and quiet western restaurant with simple decoration, being very popular among foreigners in Wuhan. Pizza should be the highlights there.
- Chinese name: 吉雅诺西餐厅 Jiyanuo Xi Canting /jee-yah-nwor tsee tsan-ting/
- Average price per person: 48 yuan
- Address: Building 1, Chuangye Street, Hongshan District 洪山区创业街1栋
- Transportation: Take 15, 510, 521, 593, 718, 723, 755, 756, 786, 789, 903 or 912, get off at Guanshan Avenue (关山大道关山街), walk 150 meters north, turn right, walk 150 meters, and it's on your right.
Dream Italian Restaurant
Dream Italian Restaurant is decorated in simple and comfortable style. Plenty of football artifacts are hung on the wall. Pizza, pasta, creamed mushroom soup and minced potato are really worthy to relish.
- Chinese name: 梦想意大利餐厅 Mengxiang Yidali Canting /mnng-sshyung ee-daa-lee tsan-ting/
- Average price per person: 50 yuan
- Address: Floor 1, Huarong Hotel, 26 Yunlin Street, Jiang’an District (江岸区云林街26号华荣宾馆1楼)
- Tel: 027-8577 5677
Wuhan has a great numerous Muslim restauratns. We at China Highlights has listed some of the best ones, and you can check out more top muslim restaurants in Wuhan.
Wuhan has plenty of vegetarian restauratns. We at China Highlights has listed some of the best ones, and you can check out more top vegetarian restaurants in Wuhan.