Yabuli Ski Resort is, hands down, China's biggest and best. (See China's top ski resorts) There is more than one ski resort in China that claims this distinction, but if one checks out what's on offer, one will quickly realize that Yabuli Ski Resort is in a class by itself among Chinese ski resorts. The very fact that Yabuli Ski Resort serves as the primary training venue for China's national teams (Alpine, Nordic (aka Cross-Country) and Freestyle teams) should give an idea of the quality of the slopes at Yabuli Ski Resort (the 1996 Asian Winter Games, the third such event in the series, was held at Yabuli Ski Resort). The ski resort, built on Yabuli Sun Mountain, part of the Changbai Mountain Range, is located in China's northernmost province, Heilongjiang, about 180 kilometers southeast of the province's capital city, Harbin.
Club Med Yabuli Resort is the first of its kind in China, offering quality relax and ski holiday packages.
Take a China Highlights Ski Tour to have fun in Yabuli Ski Resort this winter.
The northerly location of this ski resort ensures – at least under current climatic conditions, though once the planet's unfolding climatic changes have run their course, that may change – that any snowfall tends to remain until late spring/ early summer (the temperature hovers near minus 10 degrees Celsius during the winter, but can dip down as low as a chilly minus 45 degrees!). And there is indeed ample snowfall in the region, with an average of 100 centimeters of snow annually near the top of the mountain, about half that amount midway down the mountain, and around 20 centimeters annually in the valley below. Read Mia's Yabuli travel story.
However, should mother nature fail to do her part at any given time, the resort has recourse to a fleet of 8 snow-making machines. In addition, Yabuli Ski Resort has 6 snow-grooming machines that ensure an optimal powder consistency on the surface of the various pistes at all times, another factor that puts this particular ski resort in a class by itself. The skiing season at Yabuli Ski Resort begins in mid-November and runs until the end of March. (Check out tours to Yabuli)
Yabuli Ski Resort has 9 intermediate- to advanced-level Alpine pistes, a 5-kilometer Nordic trail and a 500-meter gentle Alpine slope for beginners. The resort's prime advanced-level Alpine piste measures some 3 kilometers (3000 plus meters) with a vertical drop of an impressive 805 meters, which makes this the longest – and most exhilarating – Alpine ski piste in all of Asia (it should be noted that the ski resort is divided into a competition and a leisure section, the former being restricted to domestic and foreign professional (i.e., national-team) skiers). The ski resort employs more than a half-hundred ski instructors, and though not all of the ski instructors are fluent in English, they are all reputed to be knowledgeable, and very thorough in their tutoring.Travel with China Highlights to have a hassle-free ski tour to Yabuli.
The resort has 9 ski lifts, more than enough to ferry skiers to their various destinations without having to wait in long queues. Visitors say that the old adage about 'getting there being half the fun' has never been more true than in the case of the trip up Yabuli Sun Mountain in one of Yabuli Ski Resort's ski lifts: the views are spectacular as the visitor ascends alongside ridges and ravines, looking out over a forest of snow-clad trees.
Yabuli Ski Resort is a hyper-modern facility with all that the visitor can desire in the way of bars, restaurants and lodgings, as well as in the way of ski and other winter-sport rental facilities. Besides catering to skiers, the resort has facilities for snowboarding, ice skating and tobogganing – in fact, Yabuli Toboggan Run is the world's longest. The ski resort incorporates a number of hotels and bed & breakfast establishments (youth hostels) with, in all, over 600 beds. Even cheaper accomodations can be found in the town of Yabuli itself. The ski resort's two 3-star hotels, the Windmill Village and the Tinyihu, have between them some 300 beds. These two hotels offer all the latest conveniences, from indoor swimming pools to fitness rooms and billiard halls to Internet cafés, bars, gift shops, restaurants, play rooms for kids – even a full-sized bowling alley – and the hotel rooms naturally come equipped with cable TV.
In the off-season, i.e., from late spring to autumn, there are a number of other activities on offer at Yabuli Ski Resort such as "grass skiing", tennis, mini-golf, hot-air ballooning and para-gliding, and then there is the stunning nature of Yabuli Sun Mountain itself, as well as that of the greater Changbai Mountain Range, where the stealthy visitor just might be lucky enough to spot bears, deer, leopards, tigers and wild boars, while just about every visitor will run across hares, pheasants, squirrels – and birds, birds, birds – not to speak of the chance, after-dark spotting of a badger.
1. Weather condition in Yabuli: Yabuli's winter weather and large amount of snowfall has resulted in the best snow quality in China. The lowest temperature in winter is 44 degrees below zero and the average temperature is 10 degrees below zero. The average snowfall is 20-50cm at lower part of the mountain, 100cm at the top of the mountain. Ski season in Yabuli begins from the middle of November and ends in late March.
2. Protect your skin from the sun and wind. Winter is not only cold but harsh and brutal to your skin. Add up wind, cold weather and UV rays that reflects off the white snow back onto your face. Take hot shower however take it for short periods only as it tend to take away the natural oils and lipids from the skin's surface leaving it dry as bone. Bring some oily skin care products would be very useful.
3. Opening Hours: Daily, 08:00-16:30 (from November to March) The opening time for the ski resort is from 8:00am to 4:30pm(depending on the weather condition on the day). Normally it is getting dark around 4pm to 4:30pm. It is highly suggested that you get up early in the morning to enjoy skiing and then get your lunch around 1pm and have a rest in the afternoon.
4. How to get the Yabuli: There is no airport around Yabuli Ski Resort. Harbin and Mudanjiang are the two nearest cities with airports connecting major cities in China. Harbin Taiping International Airport is about 45 kilometer from downtown area Haribin, you can take the shuttle bus for about 50 minutes from the airport to Harbin train station and take train to Yabuli.
By Bus: There are a number of tourist trains daily to the resort from Harbin, taking about 3 hours. After arriving at the town, mini tourist buses will transfer you to the tourist resort.
By Train: To reach there, via public transportation, you can take D61, D63, T479 or T481 train from the Harbin Train Station to the Yabuli Train Station. Once at the train station, take a bus to the skiing resort. There are two railway stations in Yabuli - Yabuli Railway Station and Yabuli Railway South Station. Yabuli Railway Station is located in Yabuli Township while Yabuli Railway South Station located at Yabuli Ski Resort. There are a dozen of daily passing trains stop at Yabuli Railway Station (Township), but there is only one daily through train running between Harbin city center and Yabuli Railway South Station (Yabuli Ski Resort). From Yabuli Railway Station, you have to take a local mini bus for about 5 minutes to your hotel.
5. Food in Yabuli: The food in Yabuli ski resort in limited, most of them are available in the hotels only. However you can also taste original northeast food at some local restaurant providing local vegetables and meat such as deer meat hot pot, typical northeast China dumpling, sliced pork, sour cabbage and rice noodles. Explore it on your own!
The price of Accomodation is vary from 60$ to 350$/ room/night, it has the low level hostels ,and also the luxurious club med, it depends on your budgetLily Guo replied on 2013-10-03
Yabuli is a small town with few trains available, and there is no train available for Guangzhou (Guangzhou or Shenzhen) to Yabuli. You could take train from Guangzhou to Harbin which is most convenience connection, which takes 38 hours if T236 train ticket is available otherwise K1123 takes more than 48 hours, then connect with train from Harbin to Yabuli that takes 3-4.5 hours.
It could be a very long drive on the train, especially that sleeper tickets are difficult to obtain during Jan and Feb (winter vacation and Chinese New Year). I suggest that you could take flight to Harbin first, and then transfer/train to Harbin.Delia Xie replied on 2013-01-20
Thank you for enquiry. It is Christy from China Highlights. It is my pleasure to answer your question.
Usually our Yabili Tour(4D3N) is US$3050-3100 per person based on 2-5 group. Before I made a detail quotation, would you please tell me how many people are you? I also email you , please check it when you are free.Christy Luo replied on 2013-01-11