Expect to be fully enthralled by the glamour of the folk customs in Sichuan Province. Green tiles are placed in order and bluestone ways twist forward, making people feel as if time was turned back and they are in the past again. Tea, dishes, wine, play and brocades with local features appear before your eyes one after another, creating quite a feast for the eyes.
- Chinese: 锦里古街
- Location: 231 Wuhou Hall Street (to the east of Wuhou Hall)
- Highlights: local food, folk music, folk artisian performance
Oldest Shopping Street in Sichuan Province
Jinli Old Street is one of the oldest shopping streets in Sichuan Province, and it can be traced back to the Three Kingdoms Period, over 1,800 years ago. The street showcases the culture of Shuhan (one of the Three Kingdoms from 221 to 263). Most of the architecture here is of the style of the residences in western Sichuan Province.
- 1-Day Dujiangyan Panda Keeper Program Tour
- 1-Day Chengdu Panda and Sichuan Cuisine Tour
- 4-Day Wolong In-Depth Panda Tour
A Chengdu Life Stage
This street, which is only 350 meters long, is a stage for life in Chengdu and showcases its features. You can taste the flavor of old Chengdu by seeing the age-old street, official residences, folk residences, teahouses, inns, wine bars, stages and handiwork; you can get a taste of authentic Chengdu flavor by trying local snacks and specialties.
Top Things to Do in Jinli Old Street
- On the ancient stages, classic plays are performed regularly.
- In the roadside stands, folk artisan performances are put on (including sugar painting, shaping clay figurines, paper cutouts, puppet shadow shows, and so on).
- On Jinli Snack Street, visitors can taste a variety of local delicacies.
- Tourists can take part in a local wedding. Couples can hold their weddings in Jinli for a ceremony that they won't forget for their entire lives.
- Folk music, plays, and local customs are held continuously year round.
During traditional festivals, thematic activities are held in the communities. The activities include a lantern fair during the Lantern Festival, a snack festival, the Zongzi Eating Contest during the Dragon Boat Festival, activities during Chinese Valentines' Day, appreciating the moon together on Mid-Autumn Day, and so on.
A talented craftsman in Jinli old street, Chengdu, can write your name on a grain of rice and put it in a necklace. His Master wrote a whole verse on a single grain which he keeps under a microscope on the stall to prove it.
Contact us for a private tour of Leshan and Mount Emei.
Tour Jinli Old Street with China Highlights
Do you want to visit the old street? Please see our popular Chengdu tours below for inspiration:
- 3-Day Chengdu Cuisine Experience Tour
- 5-Day Chengdu and Its UNESCO Neighbors
- 7-Day Chengdu and Jiuzhaigou Fairyland Tour
Not interested in the above tours? We are more than happy to create a tour for you based on your interests and requirements.