June is the beginning of real summer weather in China. The summer heat begins to set in and the temperature rises over 30°C (86°F) in most of China. The regions south of the Yangtze River are in their peak summer rainy season. The humidity amplifies the heat and makes it feel sultry. The weather is usually comfortably warm and dry in the north.
North China — Warm and Pleasant
— Beijing, Datong, Hohhot, Harbin…
Beijing's weather is usually pleasant. There are afternoon thunderstorms. The air quality is good.
Clothing: Bring a jacket, shorts and light clothing.
- 1-Day Jiankou Wild Great Wall Hiking
- 4-Day Datong and Pingyao Tour
- Contact us to create a Inner Mongolia tour
West China — excellent conditions
— Xinjiang, Qinghai, Dunhuang, Xi'an, Tibet…
Early summer is excellent for touring in Xinjiang when the weather is warm weather with little rainfall.
Xi'an is warmer with temperatures ranging between about 31°C (88°F) in the day to a comfortable 19°C (66°F) at night. The city is known for its hot summers, but early to mid June is good time to go before temperatures and crowds increase in the summer.
Clothing: What you wear depends on the altitude. For Lhasa, bring your coat and dress in layers. On some days you could wear shorts.
- 8-Day Miraculous Qinghai and Legendary Silk Road Tour
- 3-Day Zhongwei Desert Tour with Winery Experience
- 6-Day Gannan Pure Land Tour
- 8-Day Lhasa to Everest Base Camp Private Tour
- 11-Day Along the Great Silk Road
All our tours can be customized. The itinerary can be adjusted according to your group size, time, budget, interests, and other requirements. Just contact us.
East China — Warm and Rainy
— Shanghai, Hangzhou, Suzhou, Huangshan…
East China experiences heavy rainfall, and the temperatures are warm but not as hot as later in the summer. So it is a good time to visit this area, tour, and hike in the Yellow Mountains and Hong Village before temperatures rise and tourism increases in July.
In Shanghai most of the rain falls in the latter half of the month when the weather is unpredictable.
Clothing: Thin rain resistant jacket, rain gear, shorts.
- 3-Day Escape to Huangshan from Shanghai/Hangzhou Tour
- 4-Day Shanghai & Hangzhou with Watertown Tour
- 2-Day Hengdian World Studios Weekend Getaway
- 2-Day Essential Suzhou and Tongli Water Town, from Shanghai
Central — Hot, Rainy, and Humid
— Changsha, Wuhan, Wulingyuan, Zhangjiajie
This area of China around the Yangtze River has its rainiest month in June. High temperatures and high humidity mean the area is sweltering. The mountains around Zhangjiajie feel cooler and are good places to go in hot weather.
Clothing: Rain gear, shorts, and light clothes are enough.
- 5-Day Dynamic Zhangjiajie
- 7-Day Hunan Discovery Tour
- Contact us to create a trip according to your needs
The South — Hot, Wet, Fun
— Guilin, Nanning, Hainan, Guangzhou, Hong Kong…
Tourists will really enjoy themselves in sunny South China. Guilin feels hot, and it often rains torrentially, but the climate and activities are such that it adds to the enjoyment. You can enjoy your time at the attractions and on the Li River. Just bring an umbrella.
Hong Kong is hot but comfortable. There are occasional downpours or tropical storms. You can enjoy these southern areas before more heat and crowds of tourists arrive in July.
Clothing: Shorts, light clothes, and rain gear are enough.
- 5-Day Dynamic Guilin and Yangshuo Tour
- 1-Day Li River Cruise and Yangshuo Highlights Tour
- 3-Day Chaozhou and Shantou Tour
- 6-Day Sanya and Wanning Tour
The Southwest — Pleasant Weather
— Dali, Lijiang, Shangri-La, Kunming, Chengdu…
The mountains and valleys of Yunnan Province and Sichuan Province have pleasant weather. It is cool or warm depending on altitude. It is the beginning of the monsoon season, but rainfall falls heavier in middle and late summer.
Clothing: During the day, shorts, T-shirts, shirts or jeans are fine. Bring rain gear. Take rain gear and a coat if you walk up in the mountains since weather is very changeable.
- 8-Day Kunming, Dali, Lijiang, and Shangri-La Tour
- 3-Day Lugu Lake Tour
- 2-Day Wolong Panda Volunteer Program Tour
Average June Weather Data for Major Tourist Cities
|Cities||Average High||Average Low||Rainy Days||Precipitation|
|Beijing||30°C (86°F)||19°C (66°F)||10||78mm (3")|
|Xi’an||31°C (88°F)||19°C (66°F)||9||54mm (2")|
|Shanghai||27°C (81°F)||20°C (68°F)||14||212mm (8")|
|Hangzhou||29°C (84°F)||21°C (70°F)||15||231mm (9")|
|Chengdu||28°C (82°F)||21°C (70°F)||15||107mm (4½")|
|Guilin||30°C (86°F)||23°C (73°F)||18||347mm (14")|
|Kunming||24°C (75°F)||17°C (63°F)||17||181mm (7")|
Why Visit China in June?
- The warm weather is great for outdoor activities, travel, and street shopping.
- Cooler than July and August.
- It is before the heavy Chinese tour group season (July to early October) with higher prices
Disadvantages of Touring in June
- It is hot and rainy in most places.
- There are sometimes heavy rain, thunderstorms and flooding in central and south China. The coastal areas sometimes suffer typhoons.
China's Top Destinations for June
- Yunnan: Enjoy snow-capped mountains, transparent sky, and ancient towns.
- Tibet: Tibet reopen to China expats in May 9. Enjoy beautiful plateau landcapes and a profound Tibetan culture.
- Guilin: Enjoying the countryside and going down the Li River.
- Zhangjiajie: See fabulous mountainous scenery and enjoying the cool and fresh air.
- Yangtze cruise: Summer weather is best for a Yangtze River Cruise.
The main festival of the month is the Dragon Boat Festival.
In 2021, Dragon Boat Festival falls on June 14 (Monday). There are three days off for the Dragon Boat Festival from June 12 (Saturday) to June 14 (Monday).
Hong Kong Dragon Boat Races: Hong Kongers love racing dragon boats, and often the races are in June. Read more about the Hong Kong Dragon Boat Festival.
Popular China Tours for June
All our tours can be customized. If you are not interested in the above destinations or tours, you can contact us to tailor-make a summer tour for you.
- 14-Day Tibet Tour with Mt. Kailash and Lake Manasarovar: Pilgrimage to Mt. Kailash — "Center of the World"
- See more recommended tours for your vacation in China
If you want more suggestions and tips on a China trip, please see How to Plan Your First Trip to China for inspiration.