- China Tours +
- Create My Trip
- Destinations +
- Travel Guide +
- China Visas
- The Great Wall of China
- China’s Top 10 Attractions
- Giant Pandas
- The Terracotta Army
- Best of China
- Trains +
- Asia Tours
- Day Tours
Train is a comfortable and affordable way traveling between China and Kazakhstan. There are 2 pairs of weekly international trains linking Urumqi and Almaty/Astana: train K9795 departs on every Monday travels from Urumqi to Almaty to Astana; train K9795 departs on every Saturday travels from Urumqi to Almaty.
(Updated on June 7th, 2019)
|K9797 Urumqi – Almaty – Astana (departs on Monday weekly)|
|1||Urumqi Railway Station (乌鲁木齐站)||China||Monday||
*The times listed above are local time.
|K9795 Urumqi – Almaty (departs on Saturday weekly)|
|1||Urumqi Railway Station (乌鲁木齐站)||China||Saturday||23:33|
*The times listed in the timetable are local time.
Reservation of international tickets open 30 days before departure. You can buy the ticket at designated ticket office in Ya Ou Hotel, or with travel agencies like China Highlights. Only cash (RMB) is accepted at ticket office and no English is spoken. So you are recommended to buy an international train ticket online with China Highlights. We provide detailed and helpful English guidance and a 24/7 service. A ticket delivery service is also available.
Required documents: photocopies of all the passengers' passports and visas are required when make the booking.
Each baggage shouldn't exceed 200 cm (79 inches) by length+width+height.
1. There are five carriages on Urumqi to Almaty/Astana train. Only soft sleeper class (four berths in a private compartment, with a lockable door) is available.
2. International train between Urumqi and Almaty/Astana doesn't have a dining car. Food and drink are not available onboard. Please buy your own food before taking the train.
3. The train will change its locomotive at Khorgas (a border city in Xinjiang, China) when the train stops at 12:30, Beijing Time. It will take 1.5-2 hours. During this time, all passengers will need to get off the train.
4. You will need to go through the customs at Khorgas to leave China.
5. At Altynkol, a border city in Kazakhstan, you will need to go through the customs again to enter Kazakhstan. The train will stop at this city for around 1.5 hours.
Customer Susana traveling on June 29, 2019: "Kevin was very reliable and he delivered me the train ticket perfectly. Buying the ticket was hard but in Urumqi everything was very normal and the train departed as usual. At the border all Chinese citizens alighted and only foreigners remained. We arrived to the border on Sunday at 12pm and were asked to wait for three hours until the border opening. Then procedures took more than one hour. We got into the same train again, with Chinese crew. We cleared the border with Kazakhstan in another hour and continued traveling. We arrived at Almaty on Sunday night. In total we spent around six hours at the border and people were always polite.
Thanks again for your help, it was a perfect service from you and Kevin".
Customer Marie traveling on July 6, 2019: "Important point is the fact we stayed at the Chinese boarder around 6 hours (from 11 to 17). We have to go down from the train and wait inside the railway station."