If you would like to enjoy a leisurely stroll or want to see daily life in Kunming, go to Green Lake Park (Cui Hu Park). With verdant islets, emerald lakes, and exquisite pavilions, this park is an oasis in central Kunming. It is a tranquil land for people to escape from the bustling city, and a winter resort for red-beaked seagulls.
- Chinese: 翠湖 Cuì Hú 'Green Lake'
- Area: 21 hectares
- Popular activities: take a stroll around the lake, join the local people’s recreational activities, feed the seagulls in winter
- Must-see attractions: Mid-Lake Islet, Bamboo Forest Islet
- Suited to: anyone
- Time needed: 1–2 hours
Highlights of Green Lake Park
Green Lake Park features clear water, verdant willows, and tropical forests. It looks like a glistening emerald in Kunming City.
The park consists of about four small sub-lakes and four islands that are connected with elaborately decorated bridges. These are Mid-Lake Islet, Goldfish Islet, Bamboo Forest Islet, and Palm Islet. Each islet has its own unique delights on offer.
This islet is comprised of the Lotus Temple, Fish-Viewing Pavilion, and Mid-Lake Pavilion. There you can admire and feed the resident koi carp, or join the local people's recreational activities, like singing, dancing, practicing tai chi, playing traditional instruments, and rehearsing plays.
It is called Goldfish Islet, but there are no longer any fish there. It is very nice to take a stroll around the islet, which is covered with lush cedars and camphor trees. Colorful plants and abundant shade provided by the larger trees make walking around the islet a very pleasant experience.
Bamboo Forest Islet
Situated to the northeast, the Bamboo Forest Islet boasts about 40 categories of bamboos including the rare Chimonobambusa. Apart from the sea of bamboos, you can also see folk artisans gathering there to put on plays, sing, and dance.
Near the Bamboo Forest Islet, you will find the Nine-Dragon Pond. It is actually a spring and the water trickles from nine holes, which the locals believe are home to nine dragons.
Palm Islet is located in the southwest of the park. There you can find a variety of subtropical plants. This sudden burst of color in the middle of the city provides locals with a welcome slice of nature and is also a perfect place to have a picnic.
Watch Seagulls in Winter
From early November through to late May, thousands of red-beaked seagulls from Siberia migrate to the beautiful and warm Green Lake Park. These seagulls, swooping over the water and scrambling with one another for crumbs of food, make the park even more glamorous. You can buy bread to feed the seagulls.
The Best Time for a Visit
It is suitable to visit Green Lake Park all year round. Winter is the best season if you would like to see red-beaked seagulls.
If you want to experience typical Kunming life you need to go there in the morning when elderly people are exercising and playing music. In the evening, you can take a stroll around the lake and spend some time in a nice teahouse or café to experience the slow pace of the city.
- Location: Cuihu South Road, Wuhua District, almost in the city center
- Open: 7am to 11pm
- Entrance: free
- Bus 1, 85, 100, 101, 125, 133, or 139 to Yunnan University Station for the park's North Gate
- Dianchi: This is the largest lake in Yunnan, and is like a "Sparkling Pearl Embedded in a Highland".
- Yuantong Temple: With a history of more than 1,200 years, it is one of the grandest Buddhist temples, as well as being the most important, in Kunming and Yunnan.
- The Stone Forest Scenic Area: It is an unparalleled stone forest in a subtropical plateau. You can see all the most typical karst stone forest landforms there.
Tour Green Lake Park with China Highlights
Our private tour will leave you with some free time to take a stroll in Green Lake Park. If you need advice, our local guide will tell you the best restaurant and café near the lake.
Here are our most popular Kunming tours:
The above are our sample tours, which can be amended based on your requirements. Please contact us if you want to tailor make a tour.
- 3-Day Kunming Highlights Tour — taking you to discover the most popular attractions in Kunming
- 8-Day Shangri-La Exploration Tour — including the most magnificent scenery and culture in Yunnan