The Best Vegetarian Restaurants in Shanghai
Vegetarianism has been popular in developed countries for many years. An increasing number of Chinese people have joined the trend in search of a healthy lifestyle. Vegetarians are less likely to suffer from chronic illnesses such as coronary heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.
Let's eat more vegetables and fruits and live a healthy life together! Whether you're a resident of Shanghai or just touring the city, you will find numerous restaurants that cater for vegetarians and vegans. Typical entrées served in these eateries include soups, salads, noodles, sushi, burgers, desserts, and much more. The selection of food is astounding, giving vegetarians and vegans considerable choice.
Shanghai offers a great selection of vegetarian restaurants. The variety of foods is immense given China's long Buddhist history. Those who believe vegetarians have limited choice will have to think again. Even if you are not yourself a vegetarian or vegan, why not give some of our recommendations a try?
Here is our selection of restaurants to set you up in your exploration of what the city has to offer.
1. Vegetarian Fragrance
Just a stone's-throw from downtown Shanghai, here you will find a buffet feast for your palate and for your eyes. Here the soups and desserts are particularly highly recommended. A broad variety of dishes are on offer, heaven for vegetarians. In order to prevent food waste, dining is time-limited.
- Recommended Dishes: vegetable pancake, purple rice, stir-fried mushroom, hodgepodge soup.
- Chinese: 素满香
- Average price per person: 50 yuan
- Opening hours: 11.00am-2.00pm, 5.00pm-8.00pm
- Address: 567 Fuzhou Road
- Tel: 021-63129232
- Transportation: 15 minutes’ walk from Line Two's East Nanjing Road station
2. Veggie House
A vegetarian restaurant with a good reputation, the Veggie House is bright but peaceful. You can choose a private room, or a sofa seat. There is a dining area on the ground floor. Buddhist texts and world famous books are to be found in the basket on each table.
- Recommended dish: avocado salad and pork ribs with pineapple and vinegar.
- Chinese: 三味蔬屋素食餐厅
- Average price per person: 80 yuan
- Opening hours: 10:00am-9:00pm
- Address: 20 Nan Quan Road, Pudong
- Tel: 021-50900566
- Transportation: 15 minutes’ walk from Century Avenue station, line two.
3. Greenvege Café
The focus here is on organically grown vegetables. The environment is retro and distinctive. You can almost taste the Old America theme along with the food that's on offer.
- Recommended dish: chocolate mousse cake, curry fish bean curd, Japanese rainbow fried rice.
- Chinese: 普素
- Average price per person: 100 yuan
- Opening hours: 11:00am-10:00pm
- Address: Room 301, 697, Zhongshan South Second Road
- Tel: 021-60672555
- Transportation: 5 minutes’ walk from Dong’an Road station, line four
4. Yan Ge Ge Vegetarian Hotpot
Vegetarian hotpot may seem a strange idea, but the food here is not bland. The food here has the taste and texture of meat. The curried dumplings, sausages, fried pork chops, luncheon meat, salmon, all vegetarian! Even your most carnivorous friends would enjoy what this restaurant has to offer.
- Recommended Dish: Matsutake soup dumpling and mushroom wonton
- Chinese: 焱格格云南雪菌老火锅
- Average price per person: 250 yuan
- Opening hours: 11:00am-2:30pm, 5:00pm-9:30pm
- Address: First Floor A1 Zone, 800 Changde Road
- Tel: 021-62227217
- Transportation: Exit 2, Changping Road station, line seven
5. Fu He Hui
This may be the most expensive vegetarian restaurant in Shanghai. It rests quietly at the intersection of Changning District and Jing'an District among old villas. Fu He Hui uses prime vegetarian ingredients from all over the world including such exotica as truffles, bamboo fungus and matsutake. The chef uses a variety of methods to make the food here truly excellent.
- Recommended dishes: great set menu and dessert
- Chinese: 福和慧
- Average price per person: 800 yuan
- Opening hours: 11:30am-2:00pm, 5:30pm-10:30pm
- Address: 1037, Yuyuan Road
- Tel: 021-39809188
- Transportation: 5 minutes’ walk from Exit 1 of Jiangsu Road station, line two
6. San Guan Tang Su Zhai Guan
A casual and relaxed venue, popular with a regular clientele, this restaurant offers a variety of dishes in a pleasant, serene, and intimate atmosphere. Just the right place to visit with friends and to make new ones. People return here again and again.
- Recommended dishes: vegetarian chicken, Chinese vegetarian ravioli.
- Chinese: 三观堂素斋观
- Average price per person: 60 yuan
- Opening hours: 11:00am-1:00pm
- Address: 359 Wan’an Road
- Tel: 021-65201508
- Transportation: 20 minutes’ walk from Exit 2 of Jiangwan Zhen Station, line three
7. If Vegan
Many creative dishes are there, made of pure vegan ingredients without additives. Interesting dishes come with interesting names such as 'Cloud' and 'Mr Douzi'. In addition to this creative approach to veganism, there are many Western-style meat-like dishes. Whether you are an "expert" focused on healthy diet or a "diner" focused on rural fresh food, this restaurant can provide you with something satisfactory.
- Recommended Dish: Purple sweet potato paste with coconut flavoring, Vietnam Spring rolls.
- Chinese: 茹
- Average price per person: 120 yuan
- Opening hours: 11:00am-2:00pm, 5:00pm-8:00pm
- Address: 408 North Shaanxi Road, Jing’an District
- Tel: 021-63776999
- Transportation: 15 minutes’ walk from Exit 2 of Nanjing West Road station, line two
Let Us Help You Find Your Way Around
Our friendly crew at China Highlights can help you with more expert tips as well as aiding you in preparing your dream, tailor-made Chinese holiday. Why not contact us and find out more?