Weather: The weather does not change much from July to August. The city is stiflingly hot, and the temperature can climb to over 38 °C (100 °F), although the average is around 35 °C (95 °F). It rains a lot with occasional thunderstorms.
Clothing: Bring summer clothes, such as shorts, and an umbrella. You may also need to bring layers to manage the coolness of the air-conditioning in buildings.
Shanghai August Weather Data Graphs
Best Things to Do in Shanghai in August
These indoor attractions are places to go to escape the crowds and be cool and dry in the sizzling days of August.
Tour and shop at the Shanghai World Financial Center
- 1,614 feet (492 meters), 101 floors
- 100th floor observation deck
Shanghai World Financial Center is the towering attraction for tourists in Pudong. Until theShanghai Tower opens in 2014, it is the highest building in Shanghai.
For sightseeing, there is an observation deck on the 100th floor at 474 meters (1,555 feet). You can look down on the nearby 88-story Jin Mao Tower. These three skyscrapers sit in a cluster next to the Pudong River in the Lujiazui financial district.
There is a mall at ground level for shopping and dining. For wealthy tourists, there is a Hyatt Regency luxury hotel. You'll find bars and restaurants in the Hyatt Regency between floors 79 to 93 where you can enjoy the view.
Dine and Shop at Xintiandi
Escape the crowds by ducking in to relax at a fine shop at Xintiandi that sells gourmet icy drinks and desserts.
High travel season: Sweltering August is a high travel month. Travel costs are higher than normal, and tourist attractions are crowded. Let us help you book flights and train tickets.
Visiting Shanghai in August: Important Travel Tips and Popular Tours
August is in the high season.
Sweltering August is a high travel month because of summer vacation. Travel costs are higher than normal, and tourist attractions are crowded. Let us help you book flights and train tickets.
Recommended Shanghai Tours
- 5-Day Shanghai, Hangzhou and Suzhou Bullet Train Tour — including a relaxing walk along the Bund and a visit to a lovely ancient water town
- 8 Days Beijing – Xi'an – Shanghai Private Tour — covering the Great Wall, the Terracotta Army and the Bund
See more our with our Shanghai tours. Our tours are developed through years of experience and customer feedback, reasonably priced, and can be customized to your requirements.
Shanghai Climate Information by Month
- Shanghai Weather in January
- Shanghai Weather in February
- Shanghai Weather in March
- Shanghai Weather in April
- Shanghai Weather in May
- Shanghai Weather in June
- Shanghai Weather in July
- Shanghai Weather in August
- Shanghai Weather in September
- Shanghai Weather in October
- Shanghai Weather in November
- Shanghai Weather in December