Walking the Great Wall by the lake in Huanghuacheng. Camping at the watchtower on the Great Wall, and enjoy the amazing sunrise on the Great Wall.
- Hiking on partially restored section of the Great Wall at Huanghuacheng
- Hiking on wild and original section of the Great Wall at Xishuiyu
- Sleeping in one of the ancient military watchtowers on the Great Wall
- Private guide service provided by an experienced English-speaking hiking tour guide
- Private transfers between the airport, attractions, and hotels
- Camping on the Huanghuacheng section of Great Wall
- Entrance to attractions listed in the itinerary
- Meals mentioned in the itinerary
Accommodation in Huanghuacheng: Camping at the watch tower on the Great Wall
Pick you up at your hotel in Beijing at 14:00 and drive to Huanghuacheng (2 hours). You will start the hiking around 16:00, and it will take about 1.5 hours hiking on the wall for a return trip of 4 watchtowers. The Wall actually snakes eastward, however we’re not able to walk further as it’s very steep and crumbling.
We will have a home-made local dinner at a farmer’s guesthouse next to the Wall. Basic shower is also available here after dinner. Our host will lift up all camping gears to the watchtower on the Wall after dinner. We will go up to the watchtower by 20 minutes walking. Torch is necessary to find your way at night. You have to go to toilet before ascending the Wall.
Good to Know:
- Camping gears: twin-shared tent, 1 sleeping bag, 1 rolling mat and 1 pillow per person
- The hotel pick-up time is 14:00 from May to September, and it is 13:00 from October to April.
Wake up on the Great Wall as the sun rises around you. It’s the right time to produce amazing photographs. At this time there are usually no other people on the wall, and you have the wall to yourself. We will come down to the guesthouse and have basic breakfast here and then walk up to the Wall again.
The first 40-minute straight up walking is challenging and you will be rewarded by a panoramic view of the lakeside Great Wall however. There are constant ups and downs toward Xishuiyu. You will meander through jungles and bushes, along with chestnut orchid next to the Wall. When reaching the end of today’s hike at Xishuiyu, you will see another part of the Wall cut by another reservoir. Again, stunning view from top of the watchtower on the Wall.
A unique Hotpot lunch is followed on the way back to Beijing. Hotpot is originally from Sichuan Province and now is popular all over China. You can choose Plain or Spicy one as you like. This is also a good opportunity to practice your chopstick skills. You will get back to hotel by 2pm.
1. Customized pick-up & drop-off
If you plan the hike on the first or last day of your duration in Beijing, we can include a customized pick-up or drop-off at the airport or railway station without additional cost. It’s safe to store your luggage at our car/van.
2. Accommodation in Huanghuacheng
If the weather is really bad (heavy rain or thunderstorm in summer time) at night on your travel date , we will shift you to a local guesthouse without additional charge.
Since this trip will go through jungles and bushes, then long pants with zip-off legs will be the best in summer time and shorts are not recommended.
4. More Trip Information
Want to learn more about this trip? Please click here to see details about traveling in China, booking, payment and responsible travel.