Imperial and Scenic China Family Tour
A whole family experience to make the stories from history books come alive: the Great Wall, the Forbidden City, the Temple of Heaven, and the Summer Palace. Then relax on the Yangshuo nature trails before enjoying exciting Hong Kong Ocean Park amusement area.
- Walk or hike on the Great Wall of China
- Be welcomed by a local family and learn how to make dumplings with them
- Acquire the spirit of Chinese calligraphy and traditional painting
- Enjoy a relaxing Li River cruise to Yangshuo
- Take a bamboo raft on the crystal-clear Yulong River
- Learn to cook tasty Chinese dishes
- Revel in the Hong Kong Ocean Park
Our service includes:
- Our 1-to-1 expert China consultancy with unlimited itinerary changes
- Booking of China internal flights, trains, and cruises, per your preferences
- Your own China-Highlights-trained, versatile and knowledgeable tour guide (per city)
- Your own chauffeured and comfortable vehicle, chosen for ample space
- Hand-picking of hotels for your requirements
- Hotel breakfasts arranged, and local restaurant lunches ordered, to suit you
- Entry to all attractions on your itinerary, with queues avoided wherever possible
- Our 24-7 helpline for while you are travelling
Price Per Person in US Dollars
|Nov.1 - Mar. 31||5-star||4-star|
|Apr.1 - Oct.31||5-star||4-star|
The price for children is about 60–70% of the adult price, depending on the number of people in the group and the itinerary.
Your vacation starts from the moment you arrive. Your guide and driver will be waiting for you, ready to take you to your hotel in a private van. Your guide will assist you with the check-in and take any stress away.
The vast Tian'anmen Square is probably the most famous square in the world, and the surrounding buildings, such as Chairman Mao’s Mausoleum, the National Museum, and the People’s Congress, emphasize its iconic appearance. History comes to life in the Forbidden City, with interesting insights into the emperors’ lives and the impressive architecture in the public spaces in contrast with the domestic space in the private accommodation.
The classic hutongs area is a charming place to spend an afternoon, and a visit to a local family still living in one of the traditional houses brings the experience to life. You will learn how to make dumplings (jiaozi) and you will also get to savor them together.
Good to know:
1. 1. As well as dumpling making, many other interactive activities can be arranged in the hutongs area to enrich your day: learn traditional crafts like Chinese knot-tying and decorative paper-cutting, see a remarkable acrobatic display by a Chinese yo-yo master, and learn to make dumplings with a local family.
2. Night shows, such as the Kung fu Show at the Red Theater and the Acrobatic Show at Chaoyang Theater, are recommended to enrich your night. It is recommended to book with your guide a day before, or on the day, to allow flexibility.
The Great Wall is an exciting experience for the whole family. It evokes images of soldiers and battles from ancient China. The Mutianyu section that you will be taken to is much less crowded than other sections, and the drive is through beautiful countryside. Lunch is served in the best restaurant nearby, with several dishes appealing to the younger customers. Fish is a specialty and is always fresh from the ponds.
After returning to Beijing, you will get to visit the Temple of Heaven, surrounded by a beautiful park. There, the emperors made their offerings for a good harvest each year, and locals now do their daily exercises there and practice singing and dancing.
Good to know:
1. Want to spend more time on the Great Wall and make the most of your time? No problem! We can arrange a picnic lunch including sandwiches, bread, cake, fruit, and coffee or milk for you to enjoy on the Great Wall.
2. To make the Great Wall tour more memorable, taking a toboggan to slide down is an exciting option when the weather is nice. You can control the speed to ensure your safety.
The Forbidden City was the winter abode of the emperors, but the Summer Palace is where they escaped the heat and enjoyed outdoor living in the vast gardens and pavilions. A short boat ride across the lake takes you to the main buildings, and you can climb the tower and see the entire park.
At lunchtime you will taste the popular cuisine of the Hakka people. Then, the kids will not need to wait any longer to see the pandas; Beijing Zoo has many wild and rare animals from China, and among them are some adorable pandas.
Good to know:
If you are arriving in summer, the Water Magic Cube Amusement Park is highly recommended to escape the heat. The Water Cube was used during the Beijing Olympics for aquatics and is now designed to be the biggest water amusement park in China. Remember to take a swimsuit, slippers, sunscreen lotion, shower gel, shampoo, and a towel.
In the morning, you will catch a flight to Guilin which is said to have the most beautiful scenery in China and is home to very distinctive karst mountains.
Two of the most famous local sites — Reed Flute Cave with a large natural formation of stalactites and stalagmites, and the Elephant Trunk Hill which is the symbol of Guilin — are on the experience list this afternoon.
A tranquil four-hour cruise along the Li River offers great views of the bamboo forests and limestone peaks, the scenery immortalized by Chinese artists throughout the centuries.
After arriving in Yangshuo, you will be taken to your hotel. In the afternoon, our arranged experiences of Chinese painting or calligraphy give a taste of the cultural activities of the local people.
Good to know:
1. Your luggage will be transferred directly from Guilin to your hotel in Yangshuo by a private van and driver. Your personal guide will accompany you on the cruise and take care of you.
2. Currently, either 3-star or 4-star riverboats are available for the Li River cruise. The 3-star boats are lower-priced, but have less-modern facilities. Their seat- spacing is narrower and the lunch on board is simpler. The 4-star boats are the best. We will only use the relatively new 4-star boats, which serve a buffet lunch.
In the morning, your guide can show you around the local food market — the hub of life there. All the food is fresh, even the chickens are still flapping in their cages. A cookery class helps you to discover where those delicious dishes get their flavor from, as you see which vegetables and meat are used, cook with the teacher, and then taste the results. You even get the recipes to take home.
A bamboo raft ride along the Yulong River is a fun experience due to the small weirs giving you a light spray. This section of the area has been called “Paradise on Earth”, and for good reason.
Exploring the countryside continues with a bike ride in the small roads and lanes surrounded by paddy fields and orchards away from traffic and the crowds. A visit to a local farmer’s home lets you see how people really live in these rural areas.
After lunch, you will be taken back to Guilin Airport for your late afternoon flight to Hong Kong. Upon arrival, you will be picked up by a local guide, private van and driver, and transferred to your hotel.
Good to know:
If your children are too young to ride a bike, we can arrange to have a seat fitted to the back of the bike for you. There is also the option to choose a tandem bike for you to share with your child.
Your guide will pick you up at the hotel to take you on a whole day tour in a private car, which really maximizes your time in Hong Kong.
Hong Kong in all its vastness spreads beneath your feet from the Victoria Peak, the highest point on the island. Then you descend to the Repulse Bay beach, considered the finest in Hong Kong. Aberdeen has a lovely harbor full of local fishermen’s boats and seafood restaurants. Lunch is not included, but feel free to ask your tour guide for recommendations.
The Ocean Park is an amusement park and zoo all-in-one, and is sure to delight the smallest to the biggest member of the family.
Good to know:
The price includes a private car/van transfer to and from the Victoria Peak. This may save time if the lines are long for the Peak Tram. You can choose to take it at an extra cost of HK$28 per adult for a one-way trip and HK$40 for a round trip. The cost for a child is HK$11 and HK$20 respectively.
You will be taken to the airport to make sure you stay relaxed until the last moment of your vacation. Hong Kong Airport has Wi-Fi and many eateries, so you will be entertained while waiting for your flight home.
1. Tailoring your tour
This tour is very flexible. You can alter the itinerary, extend or shorten it to suit your price, interest and schedule. Feel free to tell us your requirements, and we are happy to help you arrange with our professional knowledge and experience.
(1) Hotels with a convenient location and swimming pool are recommended. Please note that a swimsuit/trunks and swimming cap are required to enter the swimming pool.
(2) If you prefer other hotel options: economical choices, Chinese-style hotels, home stay, apartment, or would like to book the hotels on your own, please feel free to inform us and we will be happy to adjust the details.
(3) Most hotels in China allow at most three people in one room. If there are more than three people in your group, we will check if there is family room available or do our best to arrange interconnecting rooms or adjoin rooms.
Lunches at popular local restaurants are included for you in order to taste authentic Chinese food. Your guide will assist you with ordering dishes loved by both adults and children. Most families enjoy eating local Chinese food as there is plenty of variety and different flavors, and the food is so much better and different from the Chinese food served back home. Some children may prefer Western food or have some special requirements for meals. Please inform us and we will do our best to cater to your needs
4. Car Seats, Stroller, and Baby Crib
To maximize the safety of your children, we can arrange for car seats to be fitted at your request during the private transfers in Beijing, Xi’an, Shanghai, Guilin, Chengdu, Hangzhou, and Suzhou. A baby stroller can be provided in Beijing, Xi’an, Shanghai, and Hangzhou. For a baby under two years old, we will inform the hotel to arrange a crib for you. No extra cost is needed. The number of car seats, strollers, and cribs are limited. Please inquire and confirm early to reserve them.
5. First Aid Kit
We all know how active kids can be. In case of some small injury, our guides will take a first aid kit with them during the tour, including alcohol prep pads, sterile gauze sponges, and bandages.