Weather: May is early summer in Zhangjiajie. The average low temperature is about 18 °C (64 °F), and the average high temperature is 27 °C (81 °F).
It is the start of the rainy season, with about 160 mm of rain predicted for May. It rains about half of the days of the month. It is often foggy or misty.
Clothing: Generally a T-shirt and long trousers with a light jacket for the evenings is enough. Bring rain gear too and wear shoes with good traction. If it isn't rainy, the days are clear and sunny, so wear a hat and sunglasses.
Things to Do in Zhangjiajie in May
Enjoy the Scenery in Zhangjiajie National Forest Park
Zhangjiajie National Forest Park in May is full of vigor, leaves are verdant and buds are tender. It is a beautiful time in the forest. When it rains, it creates an enchanting atmosphere with mountains surrounded by mist. You are likely to enjoy seas of clouds.
If you are a nature lover and want to hike among the green mountains, don’t miss the forest park.
Visit Tianmen Mountain
Tianmen Mountain is the highest mountain in Zhangjiajie, with the main peak of 1518 meters (4982 feet) high.
Many take the world’s longest cable car up the mountain. During the 30-minute ride, you will enjoy graceful ancient trees, karst hillocks, and a "road of 99 bends" carved in the mountainside.
On the mountain, do not miss Tianmen Cave — 'Heaven's Door' — and the Glass Skywalk, hanging from the cliffs.
Take a Boat Ride on Baofeng Lake
If you would like to enjoy some leisurely time in Zhangjiajie, Baofeng Lake is a good place. It is in a basin in the middle of the mountainous area. The placid lake reflects a picture of verdant mountains— the two in perfect harmony.
You can take a boat ride on the lake to relax and take in the peaceful atmosphere and the beauty of the mountains.
- 1-Day Zhangjiajie National Forest Park Tour
- 1-Day Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon Glass Bridge and Baofeng Lake Tour
Touring Zhangjiajie in May
Peak Travel Season
May marks the start of the peak travel season in Zhangjiajie. Labor Day holiday, May 1–3, is a hugely popular time to visit.
The prices of hotels may as much as double. Train prices remain steady, but flight prices will be higher. It is advisable to book in advance.
Recommended Zhangjiajie Tour Options
- 4-Day Essence of Zhangjiajie Tour — the classic Zhangjiajie tour
- Zhangjiajie Photography Tour — Capture the spectacular with a photography guide to suit your needs (amateur to professional)
Almost all of our customers tailor their tours for their budget and interests. Just feel free to let us know your interests and requirements, and we will be glad to arrange a unique tour for you.
- Beijing – Xi'an – Zhangjiajie – Guilin/Yangshuo – Shanghai
- Beijing – Xi'an – Zhangjiajie – Yangtze River – Shanghai
Zhangjiajie Climate Information by Month
- Zhangjiajie Weather in January
- Zhangjiajie Weather in February
- Zhangjiajie Weather in March
- Zhangjiajie Weather in April
- Zhangjiajie Weather in May
- Zhangjiajie Weather in June
- Zhangjiajie Weather in July
- Zhangjiajie Weather in August
- Zhangjiajie Weather in September
- Zhangjiajie Weather in October
- Zhangjiajie Weather in November
- Zhangjiajie Weather in December