China Train Ticket Booking Policy
Please read the following Booking Procedures and Policies carefully. Placing a booking order implies that our procedure and policies have been read and accepted.
Many tourists would like to use China’s vast and cheap rail network, however obtaining train tickets is not an easy process (long queues, language problems, etc.). China Highlights make train ticket on-line booking available to you to save you time, hassle and money. We offer our services completely free.
All that you will pay on top of the ticket price is the ticket office fee of RMB 5 (US$0.75) per ticket (charged by China Railway Bureau), an express delivery fee (about RMB 35) and credit card processing fee (3%).
China Highlights does not provide ticket change and refund service after the issue of the ticket.
- You are required either to “like” China Highlights on Facebook and input your Facebook account name while booking, or if you have bought tour products on China Highlights, you can use your previous order number instead of a Facebook account name.
- All booking procedures must be done online. Booking train tickets by phone and email is not accepted.
- A clear passport scan copy for all passenger(s) is required.
- Select the train and class of seat that you require. Complete the booking form.
- Submit the booking order. Our travel advisor will respond to your booking order within 24 working hours. No contract between China Highlights and the purchaser shall come into existence until China Highlights issues a formal confirmation by email.
- A payment form/link will be sent to the email address provided. Full payment for all tickets is required prior to the issue of the tickets.
- The availability of tickets for collection will be advised 3-11 days before the travel date. (Tickets are usually available 10 days before travel but in peak times, including Spring Festival, Labor Day and National Day holidays, the period of availability will decrease a lot).
- Issuing of tickets is under the total control of China Rail. China Highlights will purchase tickets as soon as possible, but has no influence over the release of tickets. We will do our best to buy train tickets for you, but can’t 100% guarantee it.
- It is advisable to avoid train travel during peak times, including Chinese New Year (2 weeks in January/February) New Year’s Day (January 1st-3rd), Labor Day (May 1st-3rd) and National Day (October 1st-7th), during which the tickets are often sold out.
- The selling period for train tickets may be as short as the 3 days before the travel date or as long as the 11 days before the travel date. (The selling period often changes.) It is preferable to book tickets with China Highlights before the selling period.
- China Highlights is not responsible for schedule changes by China Rail.
- Payment is available via PayPal, credit card payment center or Visa/Master Card by fax authorization.
- If the purchaser is not a passenger a clear scan copy of the purchaser's passport is required at the time of payment.
- If payment is made by fax authorization China Highlights will draw Chinese currency (RMB) from your credit card. The credit card company or bank will convert this amount to the currency that is normally shown on your credit card. This procedure may result in a higher amount being charged than quoted by China Highlights. These additional fees are not the responsibility of China Highlights and are caused by additional fees charged by the credit card company/bank or exchange rate variation.
- Payments are 100% refundable if we are unable to supply the required tickets.
- The tickets will be delivered by express courier at the nominated time (1-4 days processing time is required) to the nominated hotel provided. Please advise room number if possible. If a hotel name is not available, tickets can be delivered to the office of our local agent for pick up by the customer. We’ll provide the address and phone number via email.
- China Highlights is not responsible for non-receipt of tickets caused by a wrong delivery address, no/incorrect receiver's name, or unconfirmed check-in date, provided by purchasers/passengers.
Changes to the Booking Order
- China Highlight doesn’t offer ticket change service after the issue of the ticket.
- The ticket holder can go to departure train station in person with ID (passport) to change the ticket.
- Bookings cancelled before the issue of the ticket attract no cancellation fee.
- Bookings cancelled after the issue of the ticket must be done by the ticket holder with ID (passport), at the departure train station on the ticket, before the departure time.
- China Highlights doesn’t make refund after the issue of the ticket.
Checking In and Checking Out
- Passengers should arrive at the train station 30-60 minutes before departure and check in with valid ID.
- After the train departs, a train attendant will walk through the carriages to collect tickets. The attendant will give each passenger a plastic card. Please keep the card safe. Passengers are required to present the card about half an hour before reaching the destination, when the ticket will be returned.
- Retain the ticket as tickets are checked before exiting the train station.
Baggage space is limited and must be stored in the sitting/sleeping compartment along with the other passenger’s luggage. It is wise to travel with limited baggage, which should not be left unattended.
Most stations have a considerable number of stairs to climb to reach the platforms. Bags have to be carried up and down these stairs. Most stairs have a steep ramp so that wheeled bags can be dragged up as you walk up the stairs. The ramps are usually narrow and inconvenient to use.
Some stations have porters who will carry luggage for 5-10 yuan per piece of luggage. Follow them closely and keep your eyes on your luggage.
Free Carry-on Luggage
- Ordinary passengers: 20 kg (44 pounds)
- Children with a half-price ticket ( 1.2m-1.5m) and no ticket (under 1.2 m) : 10 kg (22 pounds)
- The total length of each item cannot exceed 160 cm, unless rod-shaped.
- Note: The above limitation is not applicable to wheelchairs, which can be brought onto the train for free.