Great Wall of China
Greatest Tourist Attraction in the World: The Great Wall of China is one of the greatest sights in the world. The longest wall in the world, it is an awe-inspiring feat of ancient defensive architecture. Its winding path over rugged country and steep mountains takes in some great scenery.
Greatest Human Feat in History: The Great Wall is the building project with the longest duration and greatest cost in human lives, blood, sweat and tears. It deserves its place among "the New Seven Wonders of the World" and the UNESCO World Heritage Sites in China.
The Goal of Millions: Perhaps the most powerful advertising words in history come from the mouth of Chairman Mao: "Until you reach the Great Wall, you're no hero." ("不到长城非好汉") Figuratively this means 'to get over difficulties before reaching a goal'.
If your goal is to reach the Great Wall, we at China Highlights are here to help you get over all the difficulties.
Choose a Section: The Great Wall is made up of many sections, stretching across eight provinces of North China. See "Great Wall Sections" to compare the Great Wall at various locations and make your choice of where you would like to visit.
Great Wall History
The Great Wall of China was built mainly to protect the Chinese Empire from northern invaders. The first sections were built in the Seventh Century BC when China was still divided into many small states.
The construction of the Great Wall continued until the beginning of the Qing Dynasty (1644). Now, in the PRC era, several sections of the wall have been restored as tourist attractions and in other places the wall is quite well preserved.
For more details see "Great Wall History".
Great Wall Culture
Read about the irony of the Great Wall and how it represents both the unification and separation of a nation at "Great Wall Culture"..
Legends and Myths
The majestic Great Wall was built with wisdom, dedication, blood, sweat and tears. Many legends and myths exist regarding the building of this wall.
This is a legend about love and devotion. It tells the story of Meng Jiang Nü and her anguish after her husband died building the wall. It is said that her bitter weeping caused a section of the wall to collapse.
This story tells of the construction of the Huanghuacheng Great Wall. The great general who masterminded this section was beheaded wrongly for his high expenditures, but later redeemed and honored.
A story of love between father and son and their reunion at Xifengkou.
- One-Day Great Wall Tours from $87*
- Include transport, entry, tour guide and lunch.
- 4-Day Essence of Beijing Tour A from $445*
- See the top sights of Beijing, including the Great Wall at Mutianyu.
- 6-Day Great Wall Hiking Around Beijing Tour from $885*
- Includes Mutianyu, Gubeikou, Jinshanling, Simatai and Huangya Pass.
- 11-Day China Dream Tour special offer– Beijing, Xi'an, Guilin, Shanghai from $2399*
- Pay 3 Star, get 5 Star (Worth $590 USD per person!) Vist the top China tour including the Great Wall at Mutianyu.
- more Great Wall Tours or plan a China tour 2012
On June 5th, 2012, after four years of investigation, with concerted efforts of over 4,000 technicians, it came to a conclusion that the accurate length of the Great Wall is 21,196.18 kilometers, including all the walls built in different dynasties around China. Lussie Lu Replied on 01:35 AM Jul. 29 2013
Iris Zhong Replied on 01:19 AM Feb. 03 2012
Today the world has completely changed and a few sections of the Great Wall have become some of the greatest tourist attractions in the world. Iris Zhong Replied on 02:23 AM Feb. 03 2012
- the longest fully-restored section open to tourists.
- the best preserved section of the Great Wall.
- steep with many watchtowers and breathtaking views.
- known as the First Pass Under Heaven since ancient times.
- Chinese Pinyin: Cháng Chéng
- Location: North China
- Length: 6,260 km (3,890 miles)
- Great Wall Facts »