Beijing West Railway Station
Beijing West Railway Station Overview
The Beijing West Railway Station, or Beijing West for short, was completed in early 1996. It is one of three major railway stations in Beijing. There are also small train stations. Beijing has the most advanced and extensive railway lines in the country. It’s main gate is a huge building that looks like a big gate. It’s so big that it is kind of disorientating to walk around in it. It was the largest railway station in Asia until August 1, 2008 when the Beijing South Railway Station was officially opened. The Beijing West Railway Station was still the busiest railway station in China in terms of passenger use per day in 2009.
Beijing West Railway Station has two plazas in the front: the North Square and the South Square. The South Square is near Lianhuachi Park and the North Square is one kilometer away from the China Millennium Monument. The entrance and major ticket offices are situated in the North Square. Passengers who get into the station from the South Square should walk through the underground passage leading to the North Square and then enter the West Station. There are two exits in Lower Level 2: North Exit 1 is in the east and North Exit 2 is in the west. The luggage claim office is located in the West-Wing Building of the North Square and the luggage check-in counter is in the East Wing. Also there are many bus stations in both squares. There are plans to connect the Beijing Railway Station with the Beijing West Railway Station.
Lines and Trains
Trains departing from Beijing going to central, south, southwest and northwest China leave from this station. There are D-(bullet trains), G-(China high-speed railway, CHR), K-(fast train), T-(express train) and Z-(express overnight sleeper) series trains serving the following cities: Hong Kong (Kowloon), Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Xi'an, Zhengzhou, Chengdu, Chongqing, Taiyuan, Fuzhou, Xiamen, Guilin, Urumqi, Kunming, Hangzhou, Shanghai and others.
Transportation to Beijing West Railway Station
Beijing West is accessible by metro line 9 (National Library – Baishiqiao South – Baiduizi – Military Museum – Beijing West Railway Station – Liuliqiao East – Liuliqiao – Qilizhuang – Fengtai Dongdajie – Fengtainanlu – Keyilu – Fengtai Science Park - Guogongzhuang).
Underground Taxi Station
The taxi area in the Beijing West Railway Station is located underground. Passengers can get taxis at the Taxi Dispatch Center in Lower Level 2 and Lower Level 1 east of the north exit. There is another Taxi Dispatch Center under the east helical ramp of the North Square. Due to the heavy traffic on the North Square of the Beijing West Railway Station, there are no official taxi lanes on the street in front of the square. Taxis are not supposed to stop there, but taxis do go there to pick up passengers anyway.
Taxi Fares: A taxi fare in Beijing starts at 10 yuan within 3 kilometers. For 3–15 kilometers it is for 2 yuan per kilometer. Over 15 kilometers it is 3 yuan per kilometer, with an additional 50% for its returning empty.
Transport to the Other Railway Stations
There are three major railway stations in Beijing: Beijing Railway station, Beijing West Railway station and Beijing South Railway station. Trains leaving for most cities of China depart from the three stations. The Beijing North Railway Station, formerly known as the Xizhimen Railway Station, is now a small (Tier-III) station managed by the Beijing Railway Bureau that provides regular intercity train services to the north and northwest. It is also the southern terminus for the Beijing Suburban Railway.
Beijing Railway Station
Passengers can take Bus No. 9, No. 673, Special No. 2 and No. 52 in the North Square to get to Beijing Railway Station directly. To take the subway, walk northwards from the North Square to the "Military Museum" Station on West Chang"an Avenue and take Beijing Subway Line 1 and get off at the Fuxingmen Station and then transfer to Beijing Subway Line 2 and get off at the Beijing Railway Station.
Beijing South Railway Station
Passengers can take Bus No. 72 or Bus No. 122 that goes to the Beijing South Railway Station. Bus No. 53 and No. 741 pass by the South Station.
Beijing North Railway Station
Passengers can walk northwards from the North Square to the "Military Museum" Station on West Chang'an Avenue. Take Beijing Subway Line 1 and get off at the "Fuxingmen" Station and then transfer to Beijing Subway Line 2 and get off at the "Xizhimen" Station. Bus No. 21 can also take passengers to the "Xizhimen South" Station.
Transport to Beijing Capital International Airport
Take the No.7 airport shuttle bus in the south square. The buses runevery 30 minutes from 5:10 am to 21:00 pm. The journey takes about 2 hours and costs 16 yuan.
High Speed Trains from Beijing West to Xi’an North
There are 13 daily G trains (high speed) departing from Beijing West to Xi’an North between07:05 am to 17:36 pm. The journey time ranges from 5 hours 22 mins to 6 hours and 20 mins and ticket prices are 515 yuan/person for second class seat and 825 yuan/person for the first class seat. See the train schedule below:
|Beijing West to Xi’an North Train Schedule|
Beijing West Railway Station Special Tips
1) Ticket check-in usually begins half an hour before the departure time.
2) Ticket check-in stops 5 minutes before departure. Please be sure to be at the check-in gate 5 minutes before the departure time.
Special Service on Beijing West Railway Station
All tickets for trains departing from Beijing West Railway Station, Beijing Railway Station, Beijing South Railway Station and Beijing North Railway Station within four days can be bought at Beijing West Railway Station. Also, tickets for trains departing from other places in the railway network of the country in 20 days are available in the ticket booths here. The location and functions of the ticket booths are as follows:
1. North Ticket Hall: The Hall, which is located in the east of the North Square, is divided into 2 ticket sub-halls: East Hall and West Hall. It mainly provides general ticket services for passengers. The East Hall provides special services for passengers. There is a priority window for servicemen and journalists, a window for non-stop express train reservations, a window for elderly people, a window for foreigners and a window for visa issues. There is also a Stationmaster window. The Service Window deals with complaints and questions from passengers and helps passengers to change their tickets for other trains. There is a ticket window for group reservations, a ticket window for disabled passengers, and a platform ticket window.
2. The Ticket Office for Transfers is located in the Lower Level 2 west of the North Exit 1. Passengers can transfer their tickets, buy and return tickets and get refunds there.
3. The Ticket Booth for Group Reservations is located in the east of the hall on the second floor. Groups or contracted companies book tickets there. Among the service windows, No. 2 is for VIPs, NPC (National People’s Congress) members, CPPCC (Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference) members and All-purpose Card holders. Service window No. 6 is for those passengers who want to buy tickets from Beijing to Kowloon.
4. Ticket Booths at the Exits: At the North Exit 1 and the North Exit 2 of the Lower Level 2, these booths can facilitate for passengers just getting off the train. They mainly serve passengers with transfer tickets for trains departing from the Beijing Railway Station, Beijing South Railway Station and Beijing North Railway Station. Tickets of trains departing from Beijing West Railway Station are also sold at the booths.
5. South Ticket Hall: Located in the western part of the South Square of the Station, it mainly provides tickets for individuals, group reservation service and ticket agency service. There are some special service windows such as a ticket window for group reservations, a ticket window for Non-stop Express Train reservations and a service window that provides invoices for ticket agencies.
6. Waiting Room Ticket Booths are located in Waiting Room No 4, No 5, No 6 and No 7 on the second floor, and they mainly sell 'same-day' surplus tickets.
Special Waiting Rooms
- The waiting room for soft-seat passengers is on the second floor on the east side of the Entrance Hall.
- The waiting room for servicemen and groups is on the second floor on the east side of the Entrance Hall.
- Waiting Room 036 is on the second floor in the west of the Entrance Hall. It mainly provides service for those who are old, weak, ill or disabled. It is also a place for mothers to take little children, and there is a children’s playground.
- Waiting Room for Train T27 is for those who hold tickets to Lhasa.
"Red Hat Luggage Delivery” service is provided by the Beijing West Station Technology and Trade Company at the Entrance Hall on the second floor and North Exit 1. It can help passengers to board their luggage on the train. They charge passengers 5 RMB for one piece of luggage.
A Temporary Deposit Service for Small Pieces of Luggage” is provided by the Beijing West Station Technology and Trade Company at both sides of the Entrance Hall on the second floor. They can help passengers keep their valuable small items safe. The valuables are stored in electronic boxes, and the service charges per duration of use.
|From Beijing West to…|
|G6735||Handan East||20:48||22:49||2h 1min|
|G89||Zhengzhou East||13:30||16:00||2h 31min|
|G91||Taiyuan South||08:30||11:11||2h 41min|
|G619||Taiyuan Station||16:58||19:54||2h 56min|
|G429||Xinxiang East||11:51||14:55||3h 4min|
|G87||Xi’an North||14:00||18:30||4h 30min|
|G571||Xinyang East||09:20||13:57||4h 37min|
|G83||Changsha South||09:00||14:40||5h 40min|
|G609||Yuncheng North||10:33||16:14||5h 41min|
|G673||Baoji South||14:43||21:44||7h 1min|
|G555/G558||Yichang East||12:51||20:05||7h 14|
|G79||Shenzhen North||10:00||18:33||8h 33min|
|G67||Guangzhou South||12:13||22:14||10h 1min|
|D2005||Lingfen West||15:29||20:50||5h 21min|
|from Beijing West to…(sleepers)|
|K617||Hohhot East||10:35||18:50||8h 15min|
|K1163||Changzhi North||07:06||19:15||12h 9min|
|K573||Dongsheng West||20:54||10:09||13h 15min|
|K261||Hanzhong||17:48||Next19:36||1d 1h 48min|
|K629||Lanzhou||07:12||Next09:48||1d 2h 36min|
|K819||Chongqing North||09:02||Next12:02||1d 3h|
|K21||Guillin||09:20||Next12:02||1d 3h 10min|
|K517||Longyan||16:56||Next20:21||1d 3h 25min|
|K817||Chengdu||08:20||Next12:30||1d 4h 10min|
|K157||Zhanjiang||18:30||Next06:00||1d 11h 30min|
|K117||Panzhihua||11:11||Next04:59||1d 17h 48min|
|K417||Kunming||21:01||Next15:38||1d 18h 17min|
|T175||Xining West||11:56||09:10||21h 14min|
|T201||Sanya||18:11||07:25||1d 13h 14min|
|T27||Lhasa||20:00||14:42||1d 18h 42min|
|Z3||Yichang East||20:49||09:08||12h 19min|
You May Like
Hiking on the Great Wall
Beijing Motorbike & Sidecar Tour
Experience the Arts & Lifestyle of the Hutongs
Chinese Kung Fu Night Show
You can take a taxi in the station, which would be the most convenient way to get to Beijing South Station from Beijing West Station. When you arrive at Tianjian Railway Station, you can go to the aviation building to take a shuttle bus to get to Tianjin Airport.
Hope it helps. Candice Song Replied on 04:07 AM May. 25 2012
Hi! It’s said that the Beijing West Railway Station sells ticket all day long. About the ticket availability, please search this site: http://www.chinahighlights.com/china-trains/ There is the train ticket agency at Beijing Capital International Airport or click: http://www.chinahighlights.com/china-trains/book-ticket-offices-beijing.htm or book ticket online: http://www.chinahighlights.com/travelguide/booking-train-tickets-online.htm http://www.chinahighlights.com/travelguide/transportation/how-to-buy-train-ticket.htm By the way, you can buy the return ticket at the time.Peter Replied on 03:49 AM May. 17 2012