Chongqing 144-Hour Visa-Free Travel
Chongqing has a 144-hour (or 6-day) visa-free policy for international stopovers using Chongqing Jiangbei Airport or Wanzhou Wuqiao Airport. During the time period, you may travel throughout the huge area of the municipality of Chongqing.
This is a convenient policy for those wishing to spend some time for a visit to the Chongqing region without the hassle and extra cost of obtaining a China visa. Here, we present useful information about the policy and how to take advantage of it for touring and visits.
Rules and Conditions
Starting from December 1, 2019, Chongqing's 144-hour visa-free travel policy came into effect. It replaces the earlier 72-hour policy.
- The locality covered under the policy: only the municipality area of Chongqing. Unlike 144-hour visa-free policies of some Chinese cities such as Shanghai that allow travel to nearby adjacent regions, this travel policy applies only for the municipality of Chongqing. This huge region is 82,403 square kilometers (31,816 square miles) and includes the city of Chongqing as well as dozens of other cities and towns.
- Eligible ports: Chongqing Jiangbei International Airport and Wanzhou Wuqiao International Airport.
- Eligible countries: In the Americas: the US, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Chile; in Oceania: Australia, New Zealand; in Europe: Austria, France, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK, Ireland, Russia, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Montenegro, Macedonia, Albania, Belarus, Monaco; in Asia: South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, United Arab Emirates, Qatar.
- Necessary documents and tickets: passport (valid for at least 3 months); confirmed air ticket to a third country; a visa to the third country if required; a filled out arrival/departure card.
Eligible Transit Routes
Visit Chongqing with your passport and air tickets, but NO visa!
This policy requires that passengers must be in transit to a third country or a Specially Administered Region of China. Making a round trip from/to the same country doesn't qualify.
Your itinerary should be departure country → Chongqing → a third country or region. For example, UK → Chongqing → Australia is an acceptable itinerary.
Hong Kong and Macau are considered to be regions separate from Mainland China for international transit purposes, and you won’t need a visa if you transit in either of these Special Administrative Regions (SARs). You can include them in your itinerary like this: USA → Chongqing → Hong Kong → USA.
How to Make a 144-Hour Visa-Free Transit Visit
1) Inform your carrier of your intent to use the 144-hour TWOV (Transit Without a Visa).
2) Fill in arrival and departure cards (available on your flights).
3) Apply for the 144-hour visa-free stay at the dedicated counter on your arrival.
4) Claim your luggage, go through customs, and exit the airport.
5) Leave from Chongqing Jiangbei Airport or Wanzhou Wuqiao Airport within 144 hours from 00:00 on the day after arrival.
More about China's national 144-Hour Visa-Free Policies.
Essential Chongqing Jiangbei Airport Travel Info
- Chinese: 重庆江北国际机场 Chongqing Jiāngběi Guójì Jīchǎng
- Airport code: CKG
Chongqing Airport is a medium-sized international airport in western China, and it has many international flights. So, when you are traveling to a third destination outside of Mainland China, you are likely to find suitable connecting flights.
There are flights to many cities in China and Southeast Asia, the Middle East, North America, and Europe.
Be aware that the airport has 3 terminal buildings. Terminal 3A is for international flights and some domestic flights, and Terminal 2 is for domestic flights. Terminal 1 is closed. Chongqing Metro line 10 goes to both terminals, but metro line 3 only goes to Terminal 2. Line 10 serves as the second metro line connecting the urban areas of Chongqing and the airport. Line 10 conveniently goes to Chongqingbei Railway Station for regional travel.
Jiangbei International Airport is very convenient for city visits since it is only 19 kilometers (12 miles) north of the city center of Chongqing. Our 2-Day Essence of Chongqing private tour includes airport pickup and hotel transfer for less hassle and saved time.
See Chongqing Transportation for more local information.
Essential Wanzhou Wuqiao Airport Travel Info
- Chinese: 万州五桥国际机场 Wànzhōu Wǔqiáo Guójì Jīchǎng
- Airport code: WXN
Wuqiao Airport is in the city of Wanzhou that is a city of 2 million on the Chongqing municipality's northwestern side. About a million passengers use the airport a year. Though it is classified as an international airport, it only has a few flights to mainly Southeast Asian cities. So you are not likely to find suitable connecting flights.
There are flights to Thailand and Cambodia. It is 15 kilometers (9 miles) from the center of Wanzhou.
3 Top Things to Do on a Chongqing Visa-Free Layover
1. Check In at Downtown Chongqing: See a Museum, Park, and Shopping Street
Downtown Chongqing, Jiefangbei District, is conveniently 18 minutes from the airport by taxi. You can see Chongqing's new skyscrapers, luxury malls and shopping streets. You can go to see the Three Gorges Museum that is not only about the world's biggest dam but is also about Chongqing and WWII history. Goose Neck Park is where the locals relax and exercise, and Ciqikou Old Town near the Yangtze River is for street shopping and dining.
Central Chongqing is the best place for hotels for tourists too due to the convenient central location and airport access.
2. Visit Wulong Karst
Wulong Karst Region is about 205 kilometers east of the city of Chongqing. It has among the most striking natural scenery in the whole Sichuan and Chongqing region with three famous natural formations: Three Natural Bridges, the Qingkou Tiankeng and Furong Cave. You can hike amid strikingly shaped rocks, stone bridges, and caves. The area was seldom traveled by tourists until recently.
We can pick you up at the airport and take you on a tour. We recommend an overnight stay since a one-day tour is a little hurried. Having a private vehicle saves a lot of travel time.
3. Chow Down on Sichuan Food
The spicy Sichuan-style hot pot that you prepare yourself using exotic ingredients is an experience you shouldn't miss in Chongqing.
Sichuan cuisine is a favorite cuisine style in China, and since you prepare it yourself to taste, you can control how much space you put in.
Get Expert Help Having Your Ideal Visa-Free Chongqing Tour
We can assist you in your visa-free tour of Chongqing. It makes sense to let experts arrange your local tour to save your time and save you from stress and headaches. Our experts can help you do what you want to do.
- See popular Chongqing tours for trip ideas.
We could design a stopover in Chongqing according to your wishes. Let us tailor-make a unique tour for you.