Nyingchi is famous for its fantastic natural scenery. The region has big snow-capped mountains, steep cliffs, gem-like lakes, and flat valleys. Highlights include Basum Tso, Rawok Lake, Lulang Forest Area, and Midui Glacier.
>>Read more about Nyingchi Attractions
Nyingchi is located in the southeast of Tibet, in the middle reaches of the Yarlung Tsangpo River. It is the lowest area in Tibet with an average elevation of around 3,000 meters, some areas even below 800 meters.
Bayi Town, the administrative center of Nyingchi, is located 406 kilometers from Lhasa, 7 hours’ drive.
How to Travel to Nyingchi
Most travelers travel to Nyingchi from Lhasa. The most popular itinerary is:
Day 1: Drive down from Lhasa to Basum Tso Lake to Bayi Town, and stay at Bayi Town.
Day 2: Drive from Baiyi Town to Lulang Forest Area.
Day 3: Drive back to Lhasa.
This is a busy trip with long drives, but the scenery on the way is breathtaking.
Most travelers prefer Tibet’s other regions to Nyingchi. One reason is probably that Nyingchi is far from Lhasa. However, Nyingchi is very popular among domestic Chinese travelers.
You Might Like to Read
- How to Plan a Tibet Trip— Suggestions and Ideas
- Tibet weather- Best time to vist Tivet
- The Qinghai-Tibet Railway —Highest Railroad in the World
- How to Reduce/Deal with Altitude Sickness in Tibet
Experience Tibetan Festivals with Us in Tibet and Surrounding Areas
China Highlights are your China travel expert. We can help you design to trip to Tibet to experience this festival. See the following popular Tibet tours for inspiration:
- 10-Days Beijing-Lhasa-Shanghai
- 8-Days Lhasa to Everest Base Camp Tour
- 7-Days Tibet Tours by Train from Xining
- 4-Days Lhasa Highlights Comfort Tour