Shanghai's Best Western Food Restaurants
This is a relatively new Italian joint, with a classic yet casual vibe. Very warm decor with wooden tables and hipster metal chairs, dim lights, wine bottles and spice jars lining the walls, a fab little bar inviting you for a glass of their house red, and friendly service. Their pizzas are excellent, all made by their young chef, priced at around RMB 80. Italian classics like Osso Buco, pastas and the salads are delicious. The manager, the chef and the bartender are always ready for a chat.
- Average price per person: RMB 100-150 (minus alcohol)
- Opening hours: 11:30 am to 2:30 pm (lunch); 5:30 pm to 11 pm (dinner), 1 am (for drinks)
- Address: 993 Wuding Lu, near Jiaozhou Lu/ 993武定路近胶州路
- Transportation: Subway Line 3 at Changping Lu, 10 mins walk
If you are looking for a gorgeous, quaint joint that transports you to Italy, then this place, tucked away from the main street, is perfect. This is a very pretty eatery, with a Pizza menu that's simple and small, priced between RMB 90 and 140, all prepared fresh by the chef in front of you at the open kitchen. They also serve sandwiches and salads. The decor is intimate and beautiful. Lots of wine options. They also have some fancy Italian ingredients on sale. A nice spot for a coffee or wine and a bite, made with love by the amicable chef.
- Average price per person: RMB 100-150 (minus alcohol)
- Opening hours: 11:30 am to 2 pm (lunch); 5:30 pm to 9:30 pm (dinner); Sundays only brunch from 11:30 am to 3 pm
- Address: 1000 Changping Lu, near Yanping Lu/ 1000昌平路近延平路
- Transportation: Line 7 at Changping Lu, 6-7 mins walk
This is a two-level Italian pizzeria and bar, done up in a stylish warm decor, with stripped down walls, chic artwork, warm lighting and the likes. They serve hand-made wood-fired pizzas topped with fresh ingredients, along with a simple range of delicious pastas. They boast of international ingredients in their dishes. Do try their Australian Lamb Skewers. The drinks here are very well made. Especially their Aperol and Campari cocktails. They do have a good wine selection as well, all complemented by great service.
- Average price per person: RMB 150-200 (minus alcohol)
- Opening hours: 11 am to 11 pm daily
- Address: 5 Dongping Lu, near Yueyang Lu/ 5东平路，近岳阳路
- Transportation: Line 1 at Hengshan Lu, 5 mins walk
The best part about this restaurant is the location - right on the bund. The restaurant itself is tiny, maybe a bit too cramped, but the food and service makes up for it. Simple yet posh interiors, pinstripes everywhere, from menu covers, to the waiters' pants to the seats - quite cool. They serve their Osso Buco with a great creamy cheesy risotto, and their pizzas are wonderful - one is good enough for a very hungry person. Service is attentive and friendly. You'd want to go back!
- Average price per person: RMB 200 (minus alcohol)
- Opening hours: 11:30 am to 2:30 pm (lunch)
- Address: 7 Yan'An Dong Lu, near Zhongshan Dong Yi Lu/ 7延安东路，近中山东一路
- Transportation: Line 10 at Yu Garden, 5 mins walk.
Located in an old building of Shanghai, this restaurant's bar occupies the second floor and the canteen the third floor. It is so quiet and comfortable in the bar - you can relax on the sofas whilst having a chat with friends.
The canteen offers authentic Italian dishes, deserts, and drinks. The waiters are considerate. It is wise to book because it is busy at night.
- Chinese name: 卡萨诺瓦意大利餐厅
- Average price per person:192 yuan
- Opening hours: 11:30am – 2:30pm; 6pm - 10:30pm
- Address: 913 Julu Road, Jing'an District (静安区巨鹿路913号)
- Tel: 021-54034528
- Transportation: Buses 15, 40, 45, 49, 71, 93, 94, 127, 824, 830, or 927; subway line 1 or 7 to Changshu Road (常熟路站); or subway line 2 to Jing'an Temple (静安寺站).
MoCA on the Park
The delicious and exquisite Italian food and cocktails are popular. You can ask the chef to prepare some creative dishes or drinks according to your ideas.
The decor is bold and arty. Wave-shaped sofas, graffiti on the walls, lovely chairs and tables, as well as some ceramic gadgets make this restaurant a great place for you to enjoy your leisure time in.
Located in People's Park, MoCA on the Park is named after the Museum of Contemporary Art. You can see skyscrapers from the open-air square of the restaurant.
- Average price per person: 119 yuan
- Opening hours:11am–11pm
- Address: Floor 3, Shanghai Modern Art Museum in People's Park, 231 Nanjing West Road, Huangpu District (黄浦区南京西路231号人民公园内上海当代艺术馆3楼)
- Tel: 021-63270856
- Transportation: buses 37, 20, or 537, or subway line 1, 2, or 8 to People's Square (人民广场站).
Tima Harbour at Zhenning Road (镇宁路店)
This restaurant provides authentic and tempting French dishes, especially French deserts. The cheesecake is one of the most popular deserts, which has a great reputation. Tiramisu and drinks such as coffee also sell well.
The environment is comfortable. Escaping from the busy city life to enjoy the food and the warm service can be very satisfying.
- Average price per person:59 yuan
- Opening hours: 9am – 1am
- Address: 11 Zhenning Road, Changning District (长宁区镇宁路11号)
- Tel: 021-62258684
- Transportation: buses 01, 57, 71, 76, 127, 925 to Zhenning Road (镇宁路站).
Jean Georges is an old and high-level French restaurant. Every dish is professionally made to be an art work. The goose liver and the steak are the most popular and famous dishes. The chocolate desserts have also won a good reputation from customers.
High-quality and considerate service is another attraction. Sitting by a window appreciating the scenery of the Bund, you will find enjoying the romantic atmosphere is a wonderful experience.
- Average price per person: 622 yuan
- Opening hours:Monday–Friday: 11:30am–2:30pm, 6pm–10pm; Saturday–Sunday: 11:30am–3pm, 6pm–10pm
- Address: Floor 4, 3 on The Bund, 3 Zhongshan East First Road, Huangpu District (黄浦区中山东一路3号外滩3号4楼)
- Tel: 021-63217733
- Transportation: buses 37, 65, 305, 307, 317, 330, 901, or 921 to Zhongshan Dong Yi Road (中山东一路站).
Chartres Restaurant at Tianyaoqiao Road (天钥桥路店)
White lace curtains, medieval-colored painted walls, and other exotic decorations give you a strong sense of a French romantic ambiance when you step in. The traditional cheesecake and tiramisu are popular.
- Chinese name: 夏朵西餐厅
- Average price per person:78 yuan
- Opening hours: 11am–10pm
- Address: Room 109, Floor 1, Xianlesi Square, 388 Nanjing West Road, Jing'an District (静安区南京西路388号仙乐斯广场1楼109室)
- Tel: 021-63345066
- Transportation: buses 15, 44, 72, 89, 122, 218, 236, 326, 572, 770, 732, 864, 932, 958, or 733; subway line 1 or 9 to Xujiahui (徐家汇站); or subway line 4 to Shanghai Stadium (上海体育场站).
Located well for transport and occupying a small area, this restaurant is frequented by lots of customers everyday. The decor is nice, and the environment is comfortable and warm, as is the service.
The clam chowder and salmon are the most popular dishes, with a rich fragrance and fresh taste. The drinks are also highly-praised.
- Chinese name: 39号码头
- Average price per person: 87 yuan
- Opening hours: 11am – 10pm
- Address: 172 Jinxian Road, Luwan District (卢湾区进贤路172号)
- Tel: 021-62581939
- Transportation: buses 24, 104, 128, or 41, or subway line 1 to Shaanxi South Road (陕西南路站).
Boxing Cat Brewery on Sinan Road (思南路店)
Boxing Cat Brewery can not only provide you with pure natural beer made by world-class brewers, but also delicious Western food. The food represents American tastes well, with fresh vegetables, bread, and desserts. Some self-made unique yogurt and sausages are often praised by customers.
The décor is exquisite. Service is high-quality and fast.
- Chinese name: 拳击猫啤酒屋
- Average price per person: 104 yuan
- Opening hours:5:30pm–10:30pm
- Address: 26A Sinan Mansion, 519 Fuxing Middle Road, Luwan District (卢湾区复兴中路519号思南公馆26A栋)
- Tel: 021-64260360
- Transportation: subway line 10 to Xintiandi (新天地站).
Other Western Restaurants
Element Fresh on Huaihai Road (淮海路店)
Element Fresh provides simple Western set meals and Western desserts, such as fruit salads and milk shakes. The sandwich with fresh vegetables and sausage enjoys great popularity.
The waiters give considerate and enthusiastic service. It is spacious and bright inside with simple and fresh decor.
- Chinese name: 新元素
- Average price per person: 105 yuan
- Opening hours: Sunday–Thursday: 7am–10pm; Friday–Saturday: 7am–midnight
- Address: Floors 4 and 5, Jiahuafang, 1028 Huaihai Zhong Road, Xuhui District (徐汇区淮海中路1028号嘉华坊4-5楼)
- Tel: 021-54038865
- Transportation: subway line 1 or 10 to Shaanxi South Road (陕西南路站).
Sunflour at Fushan Road (福山路店)
Sunflour is located in Lujiazui, Pudong New District, where transport is convenient. The decor is simple and fashionable, and the environment is romantic and relaxing. Sitting having a cup of coffee and dessert after the main dishes on a warm afternoon is very pleasant.
- Chinese name: 阳光粮品
- Average price per person:45 yuan
- Opening hours: 8am–7pm
- Address: Room 103B, Lujiazui Investment Building Complex, 360 Pudian Road, Pudong New District (浦东新区浦电路360号陆家嘴投资大厦裙楼103B室)
- Tel: 021-20287767
- Transportation: subway line 4 to Pudian Road (浦电路站).
Kervan Turkish Restaurant
You will be attracted by the exquisite hollowed-out hanging lights, pearl gadgets, and paintings in a strong Mediterranean atmosphere. Different roasted meat and vegetables, served with sweet puddings and fresh lemon juice, make customers satisfied, not only for the taste, but also for the appearance. Considerate and warm service is also praised by customers.
- Chinese name: 凯乐文地中海餐厅
- Average price per person: 135 yuan
- Opening hours: 11am – 12am
- Address: 706 Hankou Road, Huangpu District (黄浦区汉口路706号)
- Tel: 021-63513309
- Transportation: subway line 1, 2, or 8 to People's Square (人民广场站).
Our Service Includes Helping You Eat Well
Want more help? Our expert guides can help arrange your itinerary to make sure you catch all the best eateries while you explore Shanghai. Take these as recommendations for your evening free time.
Other Shanghai Restaurants You Might Be Interested In
- The Top Ten Taste Experiences in Shanghai offers more tips for top international flavors.