The Hangzhou East Station, sprawling over a vast area of 400,000 square meters, stands as a testament to its commitment to providing a seamless departure experience for nearly 100 million passengers annually. Conveniently, passengers have the option to access the railway station through the B1 or B2 subway entrances. Adding to its appeal, the station's external facade bears a striking resemblance to the mesmerizing "Tide of Qiantang River," an awe-inspiring natural spectacle unique to Hangzhou.
- Chinese: 杭州东站 Hángzhōu Dōng Zhàn /hang-joh dong jan/
- Name on train tickets: 杭州东 Hangzhoudong
- Location: about 15 kilometers (9 miles) northeast of West Lake
- Address: 2 Quanfuqiao Road, Shangcheng District
- Chinese address: 上城区全福桥路2号
- Station size: 15 platforms and 30 railway lines
Popular Trains to Other Cities
- To Beijing South Station 北京南站, 20 G trains daily (about 6 hours, USD 89 for second class)
- To Shanghai Hongqiao Station 上海虹桥站: 140 bullet trains go daily (about an hour, USD 10 for second class). See Shanghai to Hangzhou bullet trains>>
- To Yiwu Station 义乌站 (for Yiwu commodities shopping), 64 bullet trains go daily (about 35 minutes, and about USD 7 for second class)
Conventional trains are also available from Hangzhou East. They are cheaper than bullet trains, but they may take two or three times longer. Many trains go to popular cities mainly southwards and westwards such as Guilin, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Kunming, Nanning, and Wuchang.
From Hangzhou Railway Station, there are about fourteen G-trains to Shanghai Hongqiao Station (about 72 minutes, 80 RMB second class). There are normaltrains going north, northwest, and west to the Chongqing/Chengdu region.
Using the Station
- Bottom floor: subway platforms, parking lot, ATM, inquiries
- -1 floor: ticket windows, taxi stands (pick-up), subway entrances/exits, shops, and restaurants
- First floor: platforms and ticket windows
- Second floor: waiting room, ticket windows, information desk in the middle of the waiting room, left luggage desk, restaurants, and drop-off area for taxis and private vehicles.
- Huge waiting room: There is one big waiting hall. Look carefully at the large monitor to know where your waiting area and platform entrance is.
Luggage portage: Luggage porters in and outside the station building charge 10 RMB for carrying a small piece and 20 RMB a large piece. Carrying luggage from outside the security check costs 30 RMB per piece.
Transportation - to/from Hangzhou East Station
Taxis pull up at both the east and west sides, so you can catch a taxi without going out of the station building. You should take taxis only from the taxi stands since some illegal taxis wait around the station.
Hangzhou East's Metro Subway
The bottom floor's subway station allows transfer for lines 1 and 4 and can whisk you conveniently downtown and many other popular places.
To Hangzhou Railway Station
- By Subway: line 1 direct (8 stops, 25 minutes, 4 RMB), exit via A2, and walk northwards.
- By taxi: It takes about 20 minutes and costs 23 RMB.
To Hangzhou South Railway Station
Hangzhou South Railway Station is 25 kilometers away in Xiaoshan District. The distance between the two stations is 25 km.
- By taxi: It takes about 38 minutes and costs 69 RMB.
- By subway: Take Line 4 and get off at Nanxingqiao Station. Then transfer to Line 5 to Hangzhou South Stion (totally 20 stops, takes 55 minutes, costs 6 RMB)
To Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport
- By taxi: It takes about 42 minutes and costs 100 RMB.
- By subway: Take Line 19 at the East Square of East Railway Station and get off at Xiaoshan Airport Station (24 minutes, 5 stops, 7 RMB)
To West Lake
West Lake is Hangzhou's most famous tourist area. It is about 12 km away.
- By taxi: It takes about 23 minutes and costs 34 RMB.
- By metro: Take Line 1 and get off at Dingan Road Station and leave the station through Exit C (42 minutes, 4 RMB).
- By bus: Take Bus 31 from Hangzhou East to the Qianwang Memorial Temple bus stop and then walk to West Lake (65 minutes, 2 RMB).
Transport to Wulin Square
Hangzhou’s downtown is called Wulin Square. It is 38 kilometers from Hangzhou East Railway Station.
- By taxi: A taxi takes about 40 minutes and costs 100 RMB.
- By metro: You can take Line 1 to Wulin Square Station. It takes 30 minutes and costs 3 yuan.
Booking By Yourself
There are two major passenger train stations in the city, so make sure your ticket is for the station you want to leave from. Check the name carefully.
You could book tickets in the station, at other train stations, or at many ticket windows in the city. For more convenient booking online with our China train booking service, see How to Buy Tickets in China>>
Booking With Us
10,000 satisfied customers each year book tickets with our services.
- 24/7 service
- 3 easy steps: search trains, book tickets, pay
For Hangzhou Tour Planning Ideas...
Please see our tours and articles below:
- See Hangzhou, Yiwu, Shanghai by bullet train for travel planning ideas.
- How to Plan a Trip to Wuzhen? information.
- 2-Day Grand Canal and Hangzhou Tour
Our private drivers are can make transport more convenient and comfortable, and they wait on you, saving time. We can tailor-make a visit for you, and arrange your tour according to your interests and requirements.