Shanghai Hongqiao Railway Station is huge (one of Asia's biggest). It's Shanghai's main bullet train station, an important metro hub, and is conveniently next to Hongqiao Airport.
- Chinese: 上海虹桥站 Shànghǎi Hóngqiáo Zhàn /shung-hi hong-chyaoww jan/
- Name on train tickets: 上海虹桥 Shanghaihongqiao
- Address: 1500 Shengui Road, Minhang District, Shanghai 上海市闵行区申贵路1500号
- Location: 500 meters west of Hongqiao Airport Terminal 2
- Station size: 30 platforms
Popular Trains from Shanghai Hongqiao Station to Other Cities
This bullet train station handles high-speed trains to most of China's major tourist cities: Beijing, Xi'an, Chengdu, Kunming, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Hangzhou, Suzhou...
- For Beijing South Station: 37 daily G-series trains (about 5½ hours, 550 yuan second class) depart from 07:00 to 17:45. Also three overnight D-class trains (12 hours) allow you to save on hotel accommodation and train cost.
- For Suzhou Railway Station: 38 G and D trains; 07:45–21:15 daily. The G-trains take about 32 minutes (39 RMB second class, 59 RMB first class) and the D trains take about 38 minutes (27 RMB second class, 33 RMB first class).
- For Suzhou North Railway Station: 56 G and D trains; 08:25–22:50 daily. The G-trains take about 23 minutes (65 RMB second class, 128 RMB first class)and the D trains take about 31 minutes (26 RMB second class, 39 RMB first class).
- For Hangzhou Railway Station: About 14 G-trains from 06:30 to 21:30 daily take about 1 hour (77 RMB second class, 123 RMB first class).
- For Hangzhou East Railway Station: The 23 G-trains (80 yuan second class; 119 yuan first class) take about an hour. The 15 D-trains (53 yuan second class; 61 yuan first class) take about 75 minutes.
- For Nanjing Railway Station: About 16 G-trains every day (about 1 hour, 140 RMB second class, 220 RMB first class).
- For Nanjing South Railway Station: About 60 G-trains operate from 07:00 to 23:36 (about 70 to 90 minutes, 139 RMB second class and 232 RMB first class). About 36 D-trains operate from 7:00 am to 20:00 pm (about 1½ to 2½ hours, 100 RMB second class, 120 RMB first class).
Train Schedules from Shanghai Hongqiao Railway Station
|To||Popular Train(s)||Travel Time||Distance (KM)||Prospect Price|
|Beijing South Station||G2,G4,G8,G14,etc.||4h49m - 5h24m||1318km||1st Class: $140
2nd Class: $83
|Xian North Station||G360 (08:36-14:35)||5h57m||1382km||1st Class: $168
2nd Class: $103
|Hong Kong West Kowloon Station||G99 (14:10-22:29)||8h19m||1237km||1st Class: $242
2nd Class: $149
|Guilin Station||G1505 (07:53-17:15)||9h22m||1521km||1st Class: $151
2nd Class: $91
|Hangzhou Station||G7351 (11:33-12:53)||1h20m||200km||1st Class: $17
2nd Class: $11
|Hangzhou East Station||G1375 (11:11-12:03)||52m||170km||1st Class: $16
2nd Class: $11
|Suzhou North Station||G1956,G148,G1764,etc.||23m - 1 hour||94km||1st Class: $9
2nd Class: $6
|Guangzhou South Station||*D931 (20:00-07:19)
|1457km||Soft Sleeper: $108
2nd Class: $81
|Shenzhen North Station||*D931 (20:00-06:35)
|1433km||Soft Sleeper: $118
2nd Class: $128
|Ningbo Station||G7503 (08:04-09:52)
|206km||1st Class: $36
2nd Class: $22
|Chengdu East Station||*D2206 (06:38-22:01)||15h18m||1935km||1st Class: $112
2nd Class: $93
|Chongqing North Station||*D2206 (06:38-19:24)||12h36m||1675km||1st Class: $94
2nd Class: $78
Alternative Train Stations in Shanghai
Conventional trains are available from Shanghai Station and Shanghai South Station. They are cheaper, but they may take two or three times longer. For example:
- Shanghai Station – Beijing Station 北京站, T class, 15½ hours, 330 yuan (hard bed)
- Shanghai Station – Nanjing Station 南京站, T class, 3 or 4 hours, 50 yuan (hard seat)
- Shanghai South Station – Hangzhou East Station 杭州东站, T class, about 2 hours, 25 yuan (hard seat)
Using Shanghai Hongqiao Railway Station
Shanghai Hongqiao Station opened in 2010 and is one of the biggest in Asia with an area of 1.3 million square meters. The modern design helps make travel easier.
- Level 1 is where all the tracks running through the station are located. A few vending machines are by the escalators.
- Level 2 contains 3 sets of ticket windows and a vast waiting and departure hall. There are also drink vending machines distributed throughout it.
To find your waiting section, you should check the ticket and follow the LED screen which tells you the exact place for waiting and ticket checking.
Temporary luggage deposit is in the waiting section on 2F. Prices start at 5 RMB/piece for one day.
- Level 3 has two unconnected areas: both offer fast food.
For luggage portage, ask the help and information desk staff on level 3 for porter help getting your luggage on the platform (about 10 RMB/piece).
Transportation - to/from Shanghai Hongqiao Station
Here are some typical daytime fares and journey times:
- Pudong financial district (55 minutes, 85 RMB)
- Shanghai South Station (45 minutes, 70 RMB)
- Shanghai Station (50 minutes, 80 RMB).
See more on Shanghai taxis.
Subway to Shanghai's Other Railway Stations
- For Shanghai South Station take Line 10 to Hongqiao Road (8 stops), then Line 3 to Shanghai South Station (the terminal station, 5 stops). The journey is about 50 minutes.
- For Shanghai Station take Line 2 to People's Square (10 stops), then Line 1 to Shanghai Railway Station (3 stops). The journey is about 50 minutes.
To Shanghai Hongqiao Airport
Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport has two terminals that are wide apart (about 20 minutes' walk), so it is important to go to the correct one to avoid time consuming delays.
- To Terminal 2 take Metro Line 2 or 10 (1 stop, 10 minutes), or walk from the railway station's B1 level by underground passage in 20 minutes.
- For Terminal 1 take Line 10 (2 stops, 15 minutes).
To Shanghai Pudong Airport
- a) By metro only: Take Line 2 to Guanglan Road (20 stops), then Line 2 East Section to its terminal station - Pudong Airport (8 stops). The journey will be about 2 hours and 10 minutes. Leave plenty of time so as not to miss your flight.
- b) By metro and Shanghai Maglev: Take Line 2 to Longyang Road Station (17 stops), then transfer over to the Shanghai Maglev direct to the airport (30 kilometers, 8 minutes, about 50 RMB). The journey will be about 90 minutes.
- c) By Pudong Airport Shuttle Bus Line 1 (80 minutes, 30 RMB): Go to the east traffic center of the station. The bus runs to Terminal 1 from 6 am to 11 pm about every 25 minutes.
- See more on How to Get from Pudong Airport to Hongqiao Railway Station.
To the Pudong Towers
The Oriental Pearl TV Tower is just one of the very tall buildings popular with tourists in the Pudong area.
- First take Subway Line 2 to Lujiazui Station (12 stops). Then walk to the building you want to go to.
Booking Shanghai Train Tickets
Be sure you're booking tickets for the right stations. Many cities, like Shanghai, have more than one. You could book tickets at any train station or city ticket window or online with the Chinese railway website. See How to Buy Train Tickets in China.
We can assist you with booking China train tickets. Over 10,000 satisfied customers each year enjoy our 24/7 service and express mail delivery for tickets in only 3 easy steps: search trains, book tickets, pay.
You may be interested in our recommended Shanghai and Neighboring Cities by Bullet Train tour.