Xi'an Railway Station is for regular trains. It is the city's main regular train station and right near the central city attractions. You can use this station to fairly economically visit Xi'an's highlights from most major cities in China via regular slow trains.
- Chinese: 西安站 Xī'ān Zhàn /sshee-an jan/
- Name on train tickets: 西安 Xian
- Location: 4 kilometers (2 miles) north of the Bell Tower (old city center)
- Station size: 11 tracks (5 island platforms, 1 side platform)
Popular Trains to Other Cities
Conventional trains are available from this station. They are less expensive than bullet trains, but they may take two or three times longer.
- To Beijing West Station 北京西站: about 13 hours, 44 USD (hard bed); 6 overnight trains recommended 17:38–22:47
- To Shanghai Station 上海站: about 16 hours, 52 USD (hard bed); 8 overnight trains recommended 16:46–23:27
- To Lanzhou Station 兰州站: about 7 hours, 15 USD (hard seat); 14 day trains recommended 08:24–12:56
- To Jiayuguan Station 嘉峪关站: around 15 hours, 50 USD (hard bed); only 3/13 trains daily avoid early morning arrival/departure. It's usually best to transit in Lanzhou for the 4-or-5-hour bullet train to Jiayuguan.
Alternative Bullet Trains
Xi'an North Station handles Xi'an's high-speed lines...
- To Beijing West Station: About 14 G-class trains run there from about 07:50 am to 19:15 pm daily (about 6 hours on average, 78 USD second class, 125 USD first class). See Beijing, Luoyang, Xi'an Trains>>
Also see: Beijing to Xi'an bullet train travel tips>>
- To Pinyao Station for the Gucheng Ancient City.
- To Huashan: Huashan North Railway Station can be reached directly by bullet train (40 minutes, 55 RMB).
Using the Station
This is one of China's top 10 busiest passenger stations, and it is undergoing an expansion. There is a two story building with a large plaza square in front of it at the south side of the building.
- The square has a taxi waiting area outside the exits on the right side of the building as you leave. The Xi'an Bus Station of Shaanxi Province is across North Shuncheng Road across the square directly in front of the main exits.
- Floor 1 has the entrances and exits, waiting rooms, platforms, ticket offices, and restaurant.
- Floor 2 has the waiting rooms, food stands, bathrooms, and hot water dispensers.
- Waiting rooms: Altogether, twelve waiting rooms are on both floors. Be sure you go to the right one and check your tickets and ask staff to make sure.
Transportation - to/from Xi'an Station
General fares: Terracotta Army Museum (1 hour, 120 RMB), Xi'an North Train Station (30 minute, 50 RMB), and Bell Tower (12 minutes, 12 RMB). For more general fare information and taxi tips, see Taking the Taxi in Xi'an.
The cost is about 4 yuan per journey. If you are traveling with big luggage, this option is not recommended, especially when the trains are crowded during morning, noon, and evening rush hours.
To Xi'an North Railway Station
- Subway: Walk 500 meters south to Wulukou (五路口), take Line 1 to North Street Station (北大街), then Line 2 to Xi'an North (Bei Ke Zhan 北客站).
- Bus: You could also take bus 266 there directly.
To the Bell Tower and Other Central Landmarks
- Subway: Walk 500 meters south to Wulukou (五路口), take Line 1 to North Street Station (北大街), then Line 2 to the Bell Tower (钟楼).
- Bus: Tourist Bus 7 goes to the Bell Tower directly.
From there, you can also walk to the Drum Tower and the Muslim neighborhood and mosque nearby in a few minutes.
To Xianyang International Airport
Xi'an Xianyang International Airport has no subway yet. Taxi or bus is the best option unless you want to go by our private driver or another service. It is 26 kilometers (16 miles) away. Airport Shuttle Bus 2 goes directly there.
To the Terracotta Warriors
Public bus: The Terracotta Warriors can be reached by Tour Bus 5 (also called bus 306). It is a direct bus from Xi’an Station to the Terracotta Warriors. The bus runs from 07:00 to 19:00 (2 hours, 7 RMB).
Our private drivers are more convenient and comfortable, and they wait on you, saving time.
We can tailor-make it for you, and arrange your tour according to your interests and requirements.
There are about 20 ticket windows by the side of the entrance of the station building.
Booking By Yourself
Since there are four train stations in the city, make sure your ticket is for the station you want to leave from. Check the name carefully.
You could book tickets in the station, at other train stations, or at many ticket windows in the city. For more convenient booking online with our China train booking service, see How to Buy Tickets in China>>
Booking With Us
10,000 satisfied customers each year book tickets with our service.
- 24/7 service
- 3 easy steps: search trains, book tickets, pay
- The tickets will be delivered by express mail to your appointed address.
Xi'an Touring Ideas
See Beijing to Xi'an Train Travel Route. Or see our most popular tours below: