Listen to the Whole Chinese Phrasebook
Download the Chinese Phrasebook in PDF
The following table contains some of the most important basic Chinese words and phrases. The English meaning, intuitive English pronunciation, pinyin and the Chinese characters are included. Some entries have audio files in the right column to click and play.
- By joining our Beijing Tours, Xi’an Tours or Guilin Tours, visitors can add Chinese calligraphy classes to the itinerary at very favorable prices.
- Most comprehensive museums in China have calligraphy collections. See our Museums Tours.
- For travelers who are interested in the history, evolution and cultural relics of Chinese calligraphy, Museum of Chinese Characters in Anyang City, Henan Province is a good choice. The Stele Forest Museum in Xi’an City houses many works of noted ancient calligraphers as well as precious stone sculptures.
- Contact us for a tailor-made tour.
- How many people use Chinese?
Chinese is used by approximately 1.3 billion people around the world, that is almost one sixth of the world’s population.
- Is it difficult to learn Chinese?
Learning Chinese, like learning any other foreign languages, always poses a challenge for non-native speakers. It is important to practice on a regular basis, ideally spend some time on it every day or every week.
- How many Chinese characters do I need to know?
Mastering 3000-4000 frequently used characters is enough to cover daily conversations and readings.
Pinyin is equivalent to the pronunciation of an English word. Chinese words are written as characters and pronounced by pinyin. The pave have two tables to show you the Chinese pinyin system. more Chinese Pinyin
Tone plays a very important role in the meaning of the characters. Different tones in pinyin will lead to different character and meaning of each Chinese word. more Tone of Pinyin
Also read Chinese hip words.
We have prepared an extensive collection of most frequently used daily expressions and sentences to help you. You will be able to simply communicate with Chinese as long as you remeber all of them. more Chinese Lesson
Lesson 01: Greeting
It is helpful to know some simple Chinese words and sentences when you meet Chinese people. They will be very happy when seeing a foreigner can speak some Chinese.