Chongqing People's Liberation Monument was built in 1945 to commemorate the victory over the Japanese in WWII. It was renamed in 1950 to commemorate the Communist conquest of the area. It is in a large pedestrian shopping plaza that is in the Yuzhong District that is regarded as the commercial center and financial center of Chongqing. There are a lot of stores, bookstores, theaters, hotels and office buildings around it. A snacks street where people can go to eat is 300 meters away. The Chongqing People’s Liberation Monument area is the city’s main shopping and business area.
The People’s Liberation Monument is about 27 meters tall. It stands in the Jiefangbei commercial square that is kind of like Times Square in New York. Jiefangbei square is a pedestrian square about 24,000 square meters in area. It was completed in 1997, and around the square are large malls and shopping centers, luxury hotels, entertainment areas, financial companies and high-rise buildings.
About 300 meters away is a snacks street to buy snacks and eat in restaurants. Less than 200 meters away is a large Carrefour supermarket that is sort of like an American Walmart, but it is a French company. You can go there to find western-style food or things you’d expect in a Walmart.
Location: It is on Minzu Road in the Yuzhong District. The Yuzhong District is the city’s old district. It lies in a small area of land between the Yangtze River and the Jialing River.
In 1940, the Republic of China government in Chongqing built a wooden memorial at the site to commemorate Sun Yat-Sen who was the first president of the Republic of China and was considered the “Father of China.” In 1945, the Republic of China government built a monument in its place to celebrate the victory in WWII. And in 1950, the People’s Republic of China government named the monument. In 1997, the Jiefangbei Plaza was built around the monument. It measures about 400 meters by 350 meters.
- Pedestrian area and shopping district.
- Snacks street.
- Starred hotels.
- Eat in the restaurants or on the snacks street.
- Stay in the hotels. It is a central location for travel around Chongqing.
- An interesting short walk may be to walk over to the Huguang Guild Hall on the Yangtze River and see the river. It is about a kilometer southeast. Walk east down Minzu Road to Datong Road. Walk down Datong road, and you’ll be about 250 meters away from the hall.
Questions and Answers About Liberation Monument
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.
I updated this article on November 27, 2012
See all my travel articles
- More about Chongqing
- Chongqing Facts
- Top Five Special Folk Arts in Chongqing
- Free Things to Do in Chongqing