Guizhou Provincial Museum
- About 65,000 specimens and artifacts.
- Four Departments: Natural Specimens, Historical Artifacts, Minority Cultural Relics, and Modern Cultural Relics.
- Specimens range from fossils to prehistoric artifacts to bronze artifacts from the Bronze Age.
- 19,000 square meters or 4.5 acres.
- A new Guizhou Provincial Museum is expected to open in 2013. But the current one has these four main collections.
The natural specimen collections include fossil teeth, the fossils of extinct mammals and various kinds of bone objects.
The historical artifacts include painted pottery, a bronze drum from the Warring States Period (475 BC to 221BC), various bronze weapons from the Bronze Age, an iron sword with a bronze handle, a bronze carriage of the Han Dynasty era, ceramics of the Southern and Northern Dynasties era (420-581), textiles of the Ming Dynasty era (1368-1644), and over 3,000 pieces of calligraphy and painting from the Ming and Qing Empires.
Minority Cultural Relics
Guizhou is a large, somewhat empty, and little traveled province in western China. There are a lot of minority groups there. You can see representative examples of their clothes, ornaments, handicrafts, and implements.
Modern Cultural Relics
Besides, there are modern cultural relics including documents, weapons and artwork from the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911) and the 20th century. You can see pictures of the revolution led by Sun Yat-sen, the Communist Revolution, the Japanese invasion, and WWII. You'll be instructed on these events.
The Guizhou Province Museum (贵州省博物馆) was built in 1953, opened in 1958, and officially made free for the public for 2008.
New Guizhou Provincial Museum
A new museum building is being constructed in Guiyang (贵州省博物馆新馆). It is a much bigger building that is modernistic and has a wide plaza in front. It has a construction area of 42,000 square meters or about 10 acres. The display and exhibition area will total about 16,000 square meters or about 4 acres. The government reports a total investment of 385,530,000 RMB or 60 million USD. It is a big futuristic-looking building that is disjointed and has geometrical segments. The highlight of the collection will be prehistoric find related to evolution.
The new building is in the Jinyang New District of Guiyang City. It is near a water reservoir. It is expected that they will need three years to build it.
Address: Guizhou Provincial Museum, No. 47 Beijing Road, Guiyang. You can show this address to a taxi driver: 贵州省博物馆 -贵州省贵阳市云岩区北京路168号.
Bus: Routes that go there include 1, 2, 10, 12, 14, 15, 25, 30, 33, and 51. Get off at the Bowuguan Station (Museum Station). It is only about 60 meters away from the museum.
Hours: 9 to 4:30 pm.
- About China's Ethnic Groups
- Guiyang Tour Packages: See the best of Guiyang with our Guiyang tour packages.
- Contact us for a customized tour.
Questions and Answers About Guizhou Provincial Museum
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.
I updated this article on December 16, 2012
See all my travel articles