Kaifeng Vegetarian Restaurants
Daxiangguo Temple Vegetarian Restaurant
The Daxiangguo Temple Vegetarian Restaurant is located in the downtown area of Kaifeng city. The temple is very plain and old without the common grand decorations that other temples have, and you can experience the Buddhist culture while tasting the delicious vegetarian food here. There are various kinds of noodles and delicately cooked dishes. The environment of the restaurant is good, and the traffic is very convenient.
Chinese name: 大相国寺素斋馆 Da Xiangguosi Suzhai Guan
Recommended dishes: vegetarian noodles (罗汉面), fried mushrooms with gluten (香菇面筋), fried nuts and cucumber (果仁煎青瓜), Ping’an noodles (平安面, lasagna with vegetables, three fresh vegetables noodles (三鲜面), sesame oil noodles (麻油面条), green vegetables in a bowl (青菜钵), jade tofu soup (翡翠豆腐羹, stewed tofu, mushrooms and green beans with a light taste), and steamed brown rice (糙米饭)
- Average price per person: 23 yuan
- Opening hours: 12pm – 12am
- Address: Great with Temple, 36 Freedom Road, Gulou District (鼓楼区自由路36路大相国寺内)
- Tel: 0378-5958888
- Transportation: Take Bus 2, 3, 16, 19, 20, 23 or 29 and get off at the Children’s Hospital (儿童医院).
Zhimuzhai Vegetarian Food and Tea Health Club
It is the only professional vegetarian restaurant which takes Buddhism and Zen culture in Kaifeng city. It was exclusively used to cook food for the monks but, because of the delicately cooked dishes and unique taste, it is strongly accepted and welcomed by people from different fields. The environment has a simple, plain and elegant style. Based on Chinese traditional cooking skills, it also introduces today’s advanced skills and mainly uses bean products, mushrooms and fungi as well as natural vegetables to make various fantastic dishes. It is the prime choice for the tourists. It is near Daliangmen’s scenic spot, so it is worth you visiting.
Chinese name: 直木斋素食禅茶养生会所 Zhimuzhai Sushi Chancha Yangsheng Huisuo
Recommended dishes: fragrantly fried bean gluten (香炒豆筋), white hyacinth bean, tomato and agaric soup (白扁豆番茄木耳汤), nuts and lettuce salad (坚果生菜沙拉), salty fried broad beans (椒盐蚕豆), stewed carrots and bean curd dried in a sheet (萝卜腐竹煲), and fried tofu (香煎豆腐)
- Average price per person: 50 yuan
- Opening hours: 10am – 11pm
- Address: Daliangmen to the north, Gulou District (开封市鼓楼区大梁门向北)
- Tel: 0378-3661966
- Transportation: Take Bus 11, 13, 18, 21, 30, 31 or 34 and get off at Daliangmen station (大梁门).
Shimei Tea Art House
It mainly serves various kinds of teas and there are excellent tea making art performances for you. You can also get a good chance to taste the special and delicate vegetarian food here. The environment is great with a quiet and elegant atmosphere.
Chinese name: 仕美茶艺 Shimei Chayi
Recommended dishes: Oolong tea (乌龙茶), Tie Guanyin (铁观音, a famous kind of tea in south China), desserts (点心), pumpkin paste (南瓜羹), “silver sea and golden mushroom” (银海金菇, a type of sea vegetable and mushroom in a sauce), and crispy melon silk (爽脆瓜丝)
- Average price per person: 35 yuan
- Opening hours: 10am – 11.30pm
- Address: Baogong West Lake South Road, Gulou District (鼓楼区包公南路)
- Tel: 0378-3963099
- 1. Take Bus 19 and get off at Kaifeng Mansion station (开封府).
- 2. Take Bus 2 or 4 and get off at Huxindao station (湖心岛).
I updated this article on August 21, 2012
See all my travel articles