Tianjin Muslim Restaurants
Located at a former residence of a warlord, the three-story restaurant mainly serves halal food, improved by its chef, which makes the dishes different from similar restaurants.
Imitating the decorating style of Dubai hotels, the restaurant is also noted for its luxurious and elaborate decoration. The golden colors, the carved armchairs, and various bonsai trees form an elegant environment.
- Chinese name: 1618清真公馆 Yiliuyiba Qingzhen Gongguan
- Recommended dishes: Braised oxtail (牛尾), stir-fried viscera of lamb (极品老爆三), lamb chops (羊排), lamb shashlik (羊肉串), and seafood (海鲜).
- Average price per person: 272 yuan
- Address: 16 to 18 Machang Road, Heping District (和平区马场道16-18号)
- Tel: 022-2312 4088, 2314 8888
- Transportation: Take subway line 1, and get off at Xiaobailou (小白楼站）, or take bus 632, 826, 900, 953, or 865, and get off at Hongkong Road (香港路站).
2. Hui Fang Lou
A time-honored restaurant, Hui Fang Lou, famous for its authentic halal food, has been improving its dishes to keep with the times.
The appetizing food, along with the elegant surroundings of antique ornaments, carved doors and windows, flower-surrounded paving and rockeries on the wall, attracts many patrons.
- Chinese name: 会芳楼 Hui Fang Lou
- Recommended dishes: Braised oxtail and oxtongue (红烧牛舌尾), stewed pies with egg and chives (素合子), and braised ox’s knees (红烧牛窝骨).
- Average price per person: 94 yuan
- Address: 74 Dali Road, Heping District (和平区大理道74号)
- Tel: 022-2311 6066
- Transportation: Take bus 685, 862, 871, or 904, and get off at Zhanjiang Road (湛江路).
Hui Fang Lou Hanyang Road Branch (会芳楼汉阳道店)
- Average price per person: 52 yuan
- Address: Kunming Apartment, 50 Hanyang Road, Heping District (和平区汉阳道50号昆明公寓)
- Tel: 022-2782 6266
- Transportation: Take bus 14, 858, 862, or 908, and get off at Hexing Village (何兴村).
3. Yan Bing Lou
Also a long-standing restaurant, but it retains the traditional style for both its dishes and decoration. The tender, crispy, and rich roast duck is a shared memory for several generations.
The old appearance of the building, wooden tables and chairs, and red lanterns hung above form a historic atmosphere.
- Chinese name: 宴宾楼 Yan Bing Lou
- Recommended dishes: Roast duck (烤鸭), braised oxtail and ox tongue (红烧牛舌尾), stewed beef (黄焖牛肉), and stir-fried shredded chicken with carrots (鱼香鸡丝).
- Average price per person: 55 yuan
- Address: 135 Liaoning Road, Heping District (和平区辽宁路135号)
- Tel: 022-2730 8353
- Transportation: Take subway line 1, or take bus 830, 185, 17, 1, 860, 673, 656, or 806.
Yan Bing Lou Nankai Branch
The dishes are similar to the old restaurant, but the decoration is very different. With a tile facade, furnished with leather chairs, and lamps in different shapes, this restaurant is very modern.
- Chinese name: 宴宾楼南开店Yan Bing Lou Nan Kai Dian
- Average price per person: 82 yuan
- Address: 6 Sanyuan Village, West Jieyuan Road, Nankai (南开区芥园西道三元村6号)
- Tel: 022-2769 0978, 2763 0678
- Transportation: Take bus 836 or 673.
4. Bogeda Restaurant
A typical Muslim restaurant near a university, mainly serves classic halal food, such as lamb shashlik (羊肉串), braised chicken with potatoes and green peppers (大盘鸡), milk tea (奶茶), and barbecued lamb chops (烤羊排).
The comparatively low prices are the reason why many people queue in the front of the three-story restaurant during mealtimes, although the decoration is not so eye-catching.
- Chinese name: 博格达餐厅 Bogeda Canting
- Average price per person: 29 yuan
- Address: No. 5 Building, Jiatai Garden, Changshi Line, West Water Park Road, Nankai District (南开区水上公园西路长实道嘉泰花园5号楼)
- Tel: 022-2362 0152
- Transportation: Take bus 857, 872, 643, 52, or 847.
5. Xinjiang Restaurant
As the canteen of the Production and Construction Corps of Xinjiang, the restaurant serves almost all typical halal food. The food in authentic Xinjiang style attracts both soldiers and civilians. Besides, the decoration, mostly in white color, is simple and pure, but elegant.
- Chinese name: 新疆风味餐厅 Xinjiang Fengwei Canting
- Recommended dishes: Lamb shashlik (羊肉串), braised chicken with potatoes and green peppers (大盘鸡), milk tea (奶茶), and toasted buns (烤包子).
- Average price per person: 56 yuan
- Address: Floor 1, Junken Hotel, 21 Huaxing Road, Hebei District (河北区华兴道21号军垦宾馆1楼)
- Tel: 022-2432 9998, 2441 4371
- Transportation: Take bus 600, 96, or 856.
Questions and Answers About Tianjin Muslim Restaurants
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.
I updated this article on August 9, 2012
See all my travel articles