For a century the Bund has been one of the most recognizable architectural symbols and pride of Shanghai. Every morning people come here to do exercises and every evening they come to appreciate the view with their loved ones.
The word ‘bund’ derives from an Anglo-Indian word for an embankment along a muddy waterfront and that is what the Bund was originally.
When the first British company opened an office at the Bund in 1846, it became the epitome of elegance. Now many attractive new constructions have been erected in addition to the historical buildings.
The commemorative square at the junction of Nanjing Road has a fountain and a statue of Chen Yi, who in 1949 became the first mayor of Shanghai in the communist era.
The wharf for pleasure boat rides is also at the end of Nanjing Road. A boat ride on the Huangpu River will take visitors down to the estuary of the Yangtze River and back in just over three hours.
A spacious walkway for sightseeing runs atop a 771-metre long retaining wall on the Bund, paved with colorful tiles and dotted with flower beds and lighting. It is a good place for a leisurely stroll and a view of the Huangpu River.
Opposite the Customs Building is a waterfall electronic clock that shows time in various world cities, surrounded by Chinese wisterias, gingko trees, and azaleas. Buildings in Greek, Renaissance, and Baroque styles can also be seen along the west side of the Bund.
Skyscrapers such as the Oriental Pearl Tower hug the river, neon lights indicating the offices of top world brands.