Three Types of Climate
- A cold, bleak, somewhat arid monsoon climate is prevalent on the Tibetan plateau region north of the Himalaya mountains.
- A semi-frigid and semi-arid/arid monsoon climate prevails in the Himalayas.
- Finally, a mild, somewhat humid, monsoon climate is found in the extreme south of the prefecture near the border with Nepal.
Traveling in the Summer
Summer is the best time to visit Shigatse as the temperatures are only somewhat cool. Winter time can be too cold to travel in Tibet. Additionally, the weather during the summer is more stable and enjoyable than it is in the winter, but you should still be prepared for swift changes in the weather.
What Clothes to Bring
Bring multiple layers of long-sleeved, warm clothing with you so you will be prepared no matter the temperature. The temperature at night is much lower than it is during the day even during the summer, so also be prepared with cold weather gear like a hat, gloves, a scarf and a thick winter coat.
In the middle of June, the lowest temperature in Lhasa is about 9 °C or 48 °F. The highest temperature that time of year is about 23 °C, or 73 °F. Areas to the west of Lhasa like Shigatse are typically much cooler. In Shigatse you should expect a temperature drop of between 2 °C and 6 °C.
Rainfall and Sunlight
You will not need to worry about much rainfall in summer. As it does not usually rain in Shigatse or the surrounding areas in mid-June an umbrella should not be necessary. The average rainfall in June is only about 1 millimeter (0.04 inches)!
The sunlight can give you sunburn in Shigatse because of the high altitude. Be prepared with sunscreen, sunglasses and a hat. Wear long sleeves and pants to avoid having your arms and legs burned. Taking a few steps to be prepared before your journey will make your trip more enjoyable.
Mount Everest Climate
Mount Everest's North Base Camp is in the south of Shigatse Prefecture, sitting 5,200 meters (17,000 feet) above sea level. The weather at the base camp is typically very cold, with temperatures at the base camp often being below zero, although the sun can be very intense at that altitude.
Questions and Answers About Shigatse Weather
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.