Essence of Shanghai Tour
Why we recommend this tour: It is the best way to discover Shanghai, China’s largest city mixing East and West, ancient and modern by visiting its most popular and most representative attractions.
- Tour code: SH-1
- Departure date: You choose
- Private tour: customizable, traveling with your own tour guide, driver and car
from $299 Price detail
- Walking on the Bund, the classic landmark of Shanghai
- The traditional Chinese garden and architectural features of Yu Yuan
- A bird’s eye view of Shanghai from the Oriental Pearl TV Tower
- Shanghai’s best museum — Shanghai Museum, where there are more than 120,000 precious historical relics
Your private guide will be waiting for you in arrival. A comfortable vehicle (non-smoking) with an experienced driver will transfer you directly to your hotel. Your guide will help you check in.
If your arrival time is in the morning or at noon, the Bund can be your first destination in Shanghai.
GOOD TO KNOW
- Stay connected: Our free cell phone (including 30 free minutes) or Pocket (3G) Wi-Fi will be ready and waiting at the hotel desk.
- Evening ideas: Your guide will be with you between 9am and 5pm during a typical day. The evenings are yours for exploration or relaxation. You can ask ideas and recommendations from your guide (an expert on Shanghai). Or see Discover More for ideas.
Massage and Spa: Taipan Spa is popular with expats. See our Shanghai massage guide.
You will have your Western breakfast at your hotel. Your private driver, and guide will be waiting in the lobby after breakfast, prepared with drinks, snacks, and map, ready to maximize your time.
Your sightseeing begins with a visit to the Oriental Pearl TV Tower, Shanghai’s landmark standing across the Huangpu River from the Bund. There you will have a browse through Shanghai’s history in Shanghai History Museum, and will take a bird’s eye view of Shanghai from a floor more than 200 meters up.
Yu Gardern is your second destination. Built in the Ming Dynasty (1368–1644), it used to be a private garden. There you can experience the layout and style of a traditional Chinese garden, and appreciate classical Chinese architecture: pavilions, winding cloisters, decorated walls, dwellings, and the most unique building there — a ship-like living room by a pond.
Lunch: We recommend Home Restaurant near Nanjing Road, an authentic restaurant specializing in Shanghai cuisine. Your tour guide will help you order. After lunch, we will transfer you to the Jiangnan Silk Shop and Workshop, where you will see how glossy silk products are made from a tiny cocoon, and will learn how to spot a fake silk product at a time-honored silk store.
Shanghai Museum, one of the best museums in China, will be your last destination of the day. There you will see more than 120,000 precious historical relics, including the most precious two: a cooking vessel with a dragon pattern from the Shang Dynasty (1600–1046BC) (龙纹扁足鼎 Longwen Bianzu Ding 'Dragon-Pattern Flat-Foot Tripod') and an excessively-free cursive-style calligraphy work of the Red Cliff Ode (草书前后赤壁赋).
GOOD TO KNOW: If the traditional way of touring Shanghai does not attract you, why not try a fancy, cool way — touring Shanghai by a sidecar. You can contact us to have our travel advisor tailor-make a Shanghai tour to satisfy you.
Free-time ideas to maximize your enjoyment of Shanghai: During the evening, you can watch an awesome acrobatic show, or take an adventure in a Shanghai snack street (experience Shanghai’s pajamas culture and discover what Shanghai people eat).
Your car, driver and our guide will be ready and waiting at your hotel to get you to the airport on time. Sit back and relax. They will help you check-in and escort you to the correct security gate. We take the stress out of travel, so you can enjoy China more.
- The price is valid until March 31st, 2013.
- Normally hotels allow a maximum of 3 adults per room with an extra bed, at extra charge.
- Tour price is indicative only, please inquire for a detailed quotation.
- More people more discounts.
Tour Length: 3 Days
Excellent Local Guides
We selected the most experienced tour guides in each city. They are all very professional and flexible during the tour with oustanding knowledge of all the sites and history.
Our Luxury Car for Families
We use the modern air-conditioned luxury cars for families or 2-3 persons. The comfort and safety of our customers is of utmost importance, so we ensure that all of the vehicles that we use are well-maintained and always very clean.
Comfortable People Carrier for Small Groups
We use only air-conditioned small buses for small groups of 4-7 persons. Our drivers are very nice and careful with over 5-year drive experience.
- Price Inclusion
- Price Exclusion
- Centrally Located Hotels
- Authentic Chinese Food
- Private Cars and Drivers
- Private Guides
- Airport Taxes and Fuel Fees
- Entrance Fees
- Phone Rental / Wi-Fi Package
- Service Charge & Government Taxes
- Luggage Transfers
- International Airfare or Train Tickets to enter or leave China
- China Entry Visa Fees
- Excess Baggage Charges
- Personal Expenses
- Single Room Supplement.
Your Itinerary for our several days was perfect for us.Each of the sights were meaningful that we were taken too.It also pretty well matched what I had researched as sights to visit In Shanghai.We did take a couple walks near our hotel and enjoyed the ‘food market’ street that was a couple blocks away.
Ronald from the USA
Sara was totally delightful with a wonderful commentary in very good English. We really loved Shanghai and if we have the opportunity to visit again we will certainly be contacting you to arrange our tours. It was perfect from the time we were picked up from the airport to the time we were dropped off at the shipping terminal.
Rodney from Australia