Changsha is subjected to sub-tropical humid monsoon climate with four distinct seasons. Summer is long and hot, while winter is short and cold; spring is humid and changeable, while autumn is dry and sunny. The average annual temperature is 17.2 centigrade degree. Rainfall is abundant, with the annual precipitation at 1422 mm (56 inches).
It maintains moderate and humid climate features in the year round. Generally speaking. Summer in Changsha is very hot, while winter is the best time for traveling in Changsha. Have a look at our Changsha Tour Packages and choose your time of travel.
Spring is from March to May. The weather is very changeable with rain and humidity. There are occasional drop of temperatures to below 0 °C (32 °F). So visitors should bring warm clothes to prevent from catching cold.
Summer is from June to September. It is very hot and humid with occasional downpours. The average temperature is about 33 °C (91 °F), and sometimes it could shoot up to 40 °C (104 °F). The scorching weather and the heavy humidity make it very uncomfortable outdoors. Wear any summer clothes, such as shorts, shirts and skirts. Prepare sun protection such as sunglasses and hats, and drink lots of water.
Autumn is from October to November. It is the best time of the year to visit Changsha with very comfortable cool and dry weather. The temperature is moderate and it is suitable to see the autumn forage at Juzi Island at that time.
Winter is from December to February. Though the temperature is not low compared to cities in North China, and it seldom falls below 0 °C (32 °F), but it feels very cold with the heavy humidity. There are occasional light snowfalls. The average low and high temperature is respectively at 4 °C (39 °F) and 5 °C (52 °F) in December, 2 °C (35 °F) and 8 °C (47 °F) in January, and 3 °C (38 °F) and 9 °C (49 °F) in February. Prepare warm winter clothes such as down jackets and thick sweaters for winter.
Popular Tours to Changsha
- Hunan Discovery Tour: 7-day tour covering the beauty, culture and history of Hunan Province, the birth place of Chairman Mao.
- Changsha Tour Packages: See the best of Changsha with our Changsha tour packages.
Changsha Climate Information by Month
- Changsha Weather in January
- Changsha Weather in February
- Changsha Weather in March
- Changsha Weather in April
- Changsha Weather in May
- Changsha Weather in June
- Changsha Weather in July
- Changsha Weather in August
- Changsha Weather in September
- Changsha Weather in October
- Changsha Weather in November
- Changsha Weather in December
Changsha Average Climate by Month
Changsha Average Monthly Temperatures
Changsha Average Monthly Precipitation (inches)
Questions and Answers About Changsha Weather
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.
I updated this article on April 7, 2014
See all my travel articles