What do you do at night in Guangzhou? If you really want a taste of Chinese culture, I guess you can try seeing Cantonese Opera. If you really want a taste of Chinese beer, then Tsingtao is a low alcohol and sweet popular Chinese brand of beer. It was originally brewed in Qingdao by Germans. You might also want to try a Pearl River cruise in the evenings.
Cantonese Opera (Yue Ju)
This style of opera is popular in Guangdong, Guangxi, Hong Kong and Macau. The dialogue and singing is in Cantonese. The voices rise and fall in ever changing rhymes, and the melodies are harmonious and graceful. The people of Guangdong Province and large parts of Guangxi Province were mainly Cantonese speaking people. Cantonese is a language that is very different than Mandarin.
Pubs and Bars
There are three famous bar streets in Guangzhou, namely Binjiang Road Bar Street, Huanshi Road Bar Street and Bai'e Tan Bar Street. Along these bar streets, there are a great number of popular pubs and bars. Here is a list:
- Address: B03, Bai'e Tan Bar Street, Fangcun District, Guangzhou
- Address: at the north gate of Yuexiu Park, Huanshi Road Central
- Address: Floor 1, Guangdong International Electronic Mansion, No 403, Huanshi Road East, Guangzhou
- Address: No 83, Changdi Road, Aiqun Mansion, Guangzhou
- Address: at the south gate of the Guangdong Arts Gallery; No 38, Yanyu Road, Ersha Island
- Address: Floor 1, Huihua Business Building, No 80, Xianlie Road Central
- Address: No.186, Beijing Lu, Yuexiu District, Guangzhou
Evening Cruise on the Pearl River (珠江夜游)
An evening cruise on the Pearl River is one of the tourist highlights in Guangzhou. The Pearl River is China's third longest river. By the time it reaches Guangzhou, it is highly polluted. But there are lights along the river, and lit-up buildings of the Guangzhou skyline near the river make the place colorful. Some very tall buildings with interesting designs have been going up in Guangzhou recently.
Perhaps the best restaurant is a restaurant boat called the Information Times. It has buffet dining and exotic music and dance entertainment. It seats about 300 people. The Tianzi No.1 holds 250 people. The Bright Pearl of Flower City is a luxurious ship. It has a banquet hall and also holds about 250 guests.
There are three piers in Guangzhou: Dashatou Pier (大沙头码头), Tianzi Pier (天字码头), and Xiti Pier (西堤码头). If you are staying in a starred hotel, check on cruise information and getting tickets. The ships cruise between White Goose Pool and Guangzhou Bridge. The scenery along this part is fascinating with jade-colored water and colored lights on shore.
Address: The Tianzi Wharf is on Beijing South Road
Questions and Answers About Guangzhou Nightlife
Hi Harold, it is about 50mins.Whitney Liao replied on 2014-03-14
Hi Javier, for shopping in Guangzhou, please check here: http://www.chinahighlights.com/guangzhou/shopping.htmWhitney Liao replied on 2013-05-06
Hi Muhammad, what attractions are you interested in? How many people are there? What class of hotel do you like? How long will you stay in Guangzhou, Please?Whitney Liao replied on 2013-05-06
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.
I updated this article on March 14, 2013
See all my travel articles
- Things to Do
- Top Reasons to Visit
- Top Things to Do
- Top Places to Shop
- Places to see fall foliage
- Best Guangzhou Camping Sites
- Half Day or One Day in Guangzhou
- Top Free Things to Do in Guangzhou
- Golf Courses
- About Canton Fair
- About 114th Canton Fair
- Canton Fair History
- 114th Canton Fair Schedule in 2013
- Canton Fair Business Facilities
- Pazhou Complex